• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Super Bowl 2019 what's on your menu?

JeanneCake

Our Super Bowl menu rarely changes in terms of the main course - the Havana Moon Chili from epicurious.com with some modifications (golden raisins, extra olives, no almonds); chicken wings, probably nachos, and other snack/munchy dip type things.

This year at work though I'm wondering about putting together a dessert platter with team logo cookies, chocolate dipped gingerbread football cookies, bars of various types (and this is where all of you come in....) and teaming up (pardon the pun) with local carry out places to encourage impulse sales.  You can buy a la carte or choose a small/medium/large dessert platter of 12/24/48 pieces.

I'm thinking chocolate cheesecake brownies (because it's been years since I made them and they are fantastic; from Maida Heatter's book of great american desserts); cocoa brownies, a brown sugar fruit (apricots, dates, cherries, pecans) bar and .... what else?

What would be your choice for a bar-type dessert for this kind of gathering?    We are a peanut free bakery so nothing with peanuts :(

What's on your Super Bowl menu this year?

Edited by JeanneCake
correct typo in Maida Heatter's name (log)
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, JeanneCake said:

I'm having to scramble with the menu plans. I had my menu figured out but it was based entirely on the Saints being in the game. I'd like to say that horrendous non-call last week is the reason I have to change my menu, and technically it is, but the bottom line is they didn't play well enough to not be in a position where one bad call made the difference. I don't really care which of the remaining two teams wins so that will take some of the fun out of the game but it also frees up my menu planning to not be geared towards a particular team. Right now, I have no idea what I'm doing.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

3 hours ago, JeanneCake said:

What would be your choice for a bar-type dessert for this kind of gathering?    We are a peanut free bakery so nothing with peanuts :(

How about Hello Dolly bars? Graham crust, chocolate chips, chopped nuts, drizzled condensed milk, flaked coconut. You can vary with different chips, dried fruit, adding peanut butter into the condensed milk, etc.

I won't be doing anything exceptional. Game comes sandwiched between two out of town trips for me, so I'll likely watch it, or have it on while I'm reading, alone while doing laundry.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Hmmmm!

Something served with a straw.

In a cup labeled "The Patriots Suck." LOL

Wait—a straw?

That would mean that I suck.

I may have to rethink this!

xD

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

8 hours ago, kayb said:

How about Hello Dolly bars? Graham crust, chocolate chips, chopped nuts, drizzled condensed milk, flaked coconut. You can vary with different chips, dried fruit, adding peanut butter into the condensed milk, etc.

I won't be doing anything exceptional. Game comes sandwiched between two out of town trips for me, so I'll likely watch it, or have it on while I'm reading, alone while doing laundry.

Our local bakery does something similar.  They call it a Debbie bar.   They add potato chips on top and drizzle caramel over the whole shebang. 

15 hours ago, JeanneCake said:

'm thinking chocolate cheesecake brownies (because it's been years since I made them and they are fantastic; from Maida Heatter's book of great american desserts); cocoa brownies, a brown sugar fruit (apricots, dates, cherries, pecans) bar and .... what else?

What about making a slab pie?  Sour cherry or something like that to balance out the sweet brownies?  Or, I was just drooling over this recipe that @Ann_T just posted.......

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

On that subject, I do have 4 new tiki mugs that need to be broken in...

• Like 5

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I suppose "anti-climactic" is the phrase. I know zero and do not generally understand anything of what is flashing across the screen though  I went to a football powerhouse (OJ Simpson/Pat Haden/Anthony Davis) This was so weird I contacted a former colleague whose dad was an NFL ref to get his take:   

"I think all agree that the officials missed the call and it did affect the outcome of the game"

Fingerfood and those old-fashioned  sweet/sour meatballs in the crock pot always seemed to pass muster. Protein and fat help with the alcohol effect...

• Like 2

I'll confess to never having watched an entire football game since I was 10 years old  That was the last time my father took me to the L.A. Colosseum to see the L.A. Rams play.   All I remember is seeing a bunch of big, fat men who kept falling down.  Nothing since then has made me change my mind.  We will spend the day waiting for the opening of baseball season.  Go St. Louis Cardinals.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, IowaDee said:

I'll confess to never having watched an entire football game since I was 10 years old  That was the last time my father took me to the L.A. Colosseum to see the L.A. Rams play.   All I remember is seeing a bunch of big, fat men who kept falling down.  Nothing since then has made me change my mind.  We will spend the day waiting for the opening of baseball season.  Go St. Louis Cardinals.

Amen!

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

37 minutes ago, IowaDee said:

So what you're saying is, you don't have a Super Bowl menu. I guess a benefit of the World Series is you get to make at least 4 menus. :D 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 1/27/2019 at 12:05 AM, DiggingDogFarm said:

Try not to drink too much liquid during the game.

There is a serious world environmental problem during Super Bowl. The entire world flushing toilets at the exact same time during half time!!!

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 11:05 PM, DiggingDogFarm said:

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

and the Patriots don't play in the WS

Sorry gang, but I've decided I intend to pull for the Patriots in this one. I don't consider either team a favorite but I don't have any particular hate either. I made my decision based on the fact that I greatly prefer NCAA football over NFL football. The relevance is, I've been a Bama fan for most of my life so one thing I have a lot of experience with is pulling for the team everybody else hates because they win too much. :D 

With that being the case, I'm already working on a seafood-heavy menu plan.

• Like 1

Still deciding the menu, but right now it's looking like I'm doing cubano sliders, baked chicken wings, crispy brussels sprouts, either shrimp cocktail or smoked salmon platter, cheese/charcut platter. Still need a couple non-meat dips. Deciding between a hot spinach dip or classic spinach in a bread bowl. A few other things maybe, not sure what, but it should be non-meat.

It's a bigger group this year, 14 bodies in our small apartment, hope we can squeeze everyone in. We'll need more food this year (despite husband's protests - Superbowl is about the food as much as it's about the football), so is it better to do more quantity or more variety??

Can't decide on chicken wings flavour. My go-to is sweet-spicy, but I want to do Thai chili brussels sprouts. Is that too much sweet-spicy food?

Go Rams!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beebs said:

despite husband's protests - Superbowl is about the food as much as it's about the football

I'd have to side with your husband on this one... but only by a hair. The football is #1 but the food is a close second. :D Your menu sounds tasty. I won't be that ambitious with variety since it will be just me.

• Haha 1

I am from MA so of course we are pulling for the Patriots.  Unfortunately, we have this really weird family tradition that if they lose a playoff game, none of the food served that evening can be served again until they win another Super Bowl.  So, all of the favorite game day dishes I made last year for the Super Bowl are off the table.  I'm actually thinking of coming up with a menu of Atlanta foods since that's where the game is being held this year.  I figure it will be something different and if they lose again I won't have banned more of my favorites for next season 🙂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

I am from MA so of course we are pulling for the Patriots.  Unfortunately, we have this really weird family tradition that if they lose a playoff game, none of the food served that evening can be served again until they win another Super Bowl.  So, all of the favorite game day dishes I made last year for the Super Bowl are off the table.  I'm actually thinking of coming up with a menu of Atlanta foods since that's where the game is being held this year.  I figure it will be something different and if they lose again I won't have banned more of my favorites for next season 🙂

Don't know that you could call it an Atlanta food, but I had the absolute best braised pork shank (and one of the half-dozen best meals I've eaten in my life) at Murphy's Wine Shop in Atlanta. It was braised in cider, as nearly as I could tell, and had a marvelous sweet glaze brushed on it before it was let brown and crisp up....

Atlanta foods. Let's see. Chili dogs (for the historic Varsity Inn). Boiled peanuts (nasty things). Peach cobbler. Fried chicken, although that's ubiquitous everywhere in the South.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Don't know that you could call it an Atlanta food, but I had the absolute best braised pork shank (and one of the half-dozen best meals I've eaten in my life) at Murphy's Wine Shop in Atlanta. It was braised in cider, as nearly as I could tell, and had a marvelous sweet glaze brushed on it before it was let brown and crisp up....

Atlanta foods. Let's see. Chili dogs (for the historic Varsity Inn). Boiled peanuts (nasty things). Peach cobbler. Fried chicken, although that's ubiquitous everywhere in the South.

Thanks. Unfortunately, neither I nor my brother in law eat pork and I also don't eat beef (or lamb, or goat, or duck, or offal, or...can you tell I used to be a vegetarian?  Haha), though I cook them for others.  My niece would be all over that pork shank though...  I am leaning towards fried chicken and...something.  🙂

2 hours ago, kayb said:

Boiled peanuts (nasty wonderful things).

Fixed that for ya! :P Especially when boiled with plenty of jalapenos in the pot to give 'em a little bite.

We're invited to a potluck again this year, and my husband plans to make his annual pie. There's always a lot of fussing over the crust--will it be flaky enough, will there be enough filling, should it be all butter or part shortning, did we add too much water and will it be tough. Because he only makes one pie a year it turns into a big deal. Most years it's apple, but one year it was a magnificent raspberry-walnut confection with a thin layer of lime curd on the bottom crust before adding the berries. The mercado is full of blackberries, so that might be an alternative.

As for me, I'm leaning toward the savory end of the flavor spectrum. There will likely be around 50 or 60 people at the party, each bringing their own special contribution, so I will have to be careful in my choices. I don't do well, digestion-wise, at potlucks. Back in the day I could eat pretty much anything, but with age comes the awareness that one is not as one used to be.

We don't have a dog in this hunt, the Broncos having stunk up the place as usual. I admit to be bored with the Patriots. Enough already.

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

6 hours ago, heidih said:

On the quantity versus variety  question - if drinking is part of the equation - I'd lean to quantity. Speaking from long experience...

I won't be doing much quantity or variety in that department, one or two is generally my limit regardless of whether it's beer, wine or cocktails.