• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

First bonbon attempt(s)

beesknees

Been lurking here for some time trying to soak up all the knowledge.  Attempted bonbons for the first time today and have to say we were pleased with the results.

Of course the first mold was the best, then had some issues, but think we know what we did wrong on most.  Specifically some of the bonbons had dull spots on the tops (so the bottom of molds), so I'm assuming I touched them with the my hands.  I have very hot hands (running joke it if something needs to be heated up just hand it to me) so I may just do the tempering and let my colleagues to do the molding.

Open to critique of course.  Don't have our airbrush yet, so the color work was just for S&Gs.

IMG_2002.jpg

IMG_2008.jpeg

• Like 6

Thanks Kerry, that's high praise coming from you!  I was amazed at how shiny the first batch came out on the first try.  We couldn't get our dark choc into temper for some reason so switched to our darkest and nailed it.  Then went back to the failed batch and got it into temper no problem after re-seeding.  Had some thin shells and leaks in some bases but were also using some random fillings we had on hand that were too viscous, nothing use-specific which would have helped.  Looking forward to more testing on Friday.

We are opening a patisserie in northern MI late this spring and having fun trying new things while doing some production for wholesale baked goods orders. Working on perfecting our croissants right now and doing some bonbons for V-day.  I have no formal training (I'm more FOH and #s guy) but my two colleagues have a little and we have a very talented remote chef at our disposal as we troubleshoot and develop/adapt recipes.   I've been picking up skills as we go and enjoying it immensely.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, beesknees said:

Thanks Kerry, that's high praise coming from you!  I was amazed at how shiny the first batch came out on the first try.  We couldn't get our dark choc into temper for some reason so switched to our darkest and nailed it.  Then went back to the failed batch and got it into temper no problem after re-seeding.  Had some thin shells and leaks in some bases but were also using some random fillings we had on hand that were too viscous, nothing use-specific which would have helped.  Looking forward to more testing on Friday.

We are opening a patisserie in northern MI late this spring and having fun trying new things while doing some production for wholesale baked goods orders. Working on perfecting our croissants right now and doing some bonbons for V-day.  I have no formal training (I'm more FOH and #s guy) but my two colleagues have a little and we have a very talented remote chef at our disposal as we troubleshoot and develop/adapt recipes.   I've been picking up skills as we go and enjoying it immensely.

Look forward to watching your progress. Remember chocolate will always show you who's boss as soon as you get confident!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Remember chocolate will always show you who's boss as soon as you get confident!

Yeah, that was a fun lesson to learn. Working with chocolate is enjoyable but it can definitely be a heartless bitc… err… mistress. It's favorite trick is to wait until you do everything exactly like you do every other time and don't have time to redo whatever you're trying to get done and then pop out from behind a door and yell "not today". 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

16 hours ago, beesknees said:

Can you share more specifically where you'll be opening?

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2