• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO smoked salmon in the mainstream grocery store

Darienne

Anniversary, 59 years, is coming up and I would like to have smoked salmon for a treat.  We live outside a smallish, provincial Ontario city which is not known for its exotic culinary output.  I don't know of any delicatessens which carry smoked salmon and so I am going to have to buy it in one of the mainstream grocery stores.  And just noting we don't have a Food Basics or a Longo's in the bunch.  

I've tried a couple of smoked salmons ...names forgotten...from Costco and found them unsatisfactory.  Or am I chasing an impossible dream?

Thanks. 

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I've gotten it in a four-ounce, vac-sealed package at Kroger, at the seafood case. It ain't great, but it ain't awful. I don't remember a name, sorry.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

37 minutes ago, kayb said:

I've gotten it in a four-ounce, vac-sealed package at Kroger, at the seafood case. It ain't great, but it ain't awful. I don't remember a name, sorry.

No Kroger in Ontario.  Thanks anyway.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

17 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

What about Primal Cuts in Peterborough?

Just called them and they don't carry it any more.  Thanks, Elsie.  Good idea though.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

You can order Tony's online, here:

clickety

Shipping might be outrageous for the refrigerated, but... it's not every day you've been married 59 years! Many congratulations, and may there be many more!

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

29 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

https://www.willykrauch.com/products/shipping.html

I don't know what your budget but I have been there and had smoked salmon at his place and it is the best I have ever had.  And I have eaten a lot of smoked salmon.

Next time we are in Halifax, we'll go there, but the shipping cost with an extra $20.00 for our country address on top of the already about $45.00 is way out of our snack bracket.  We should be in NS in a year or two from now.  Thanks Elsie.  

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Maybe I'll just settle for cod and chips at a local fish place...  And I'll make the dessert.   With chocolate, of course.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Peterborough Costco used to carry Nanuk brand smoked salmon which I thought was pretty good, but they've stopped selling it. They now only carry some kind of smoked steelhead, which I don't like. And they carry another brand of smoked salmon in the freezer - it comes in individually vacuum packed small packets. It's better than the steelhead and it's nice to be able to take out just enough for a serving or two without thawing the whole side of salmon. I've seen - but not tried - smoked wild sockeye at Superstore. They seem to have several different brands of smoked salmon - you might give one of those a shot. All frozen ones.

If you should happen to end up in Toronto, I would recommend the smoked salmon from Central Epicure - they have an outlet near Steeles and Weston Road. They also do great smoked whitefish. It's in the middle of nowhere but not far off the 407 if you're up at that end of the city. I've also heard great things about Kristapsens (sp?) but have never had their smoked salmon so can't vouch personally.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Or would you consider making your own gravlax with fresh salmon that may be available or frozen trout/salmon?

i know it isn’t smoked but.....

That'd be my vote. Easy and wonderful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Nyleve Baar said:

Peterborough Costco used to carry Nanuk brand smoked salmon which I thought was pretty good, but they've stopped selling it. They now only carry some kind of smoked steelhead, which I don't like. And they carry another brand of smoked salmon in the freezer - it comes in individually vacuum packed small packets. It's better than the steelhead and it's nice to be able to take out just enough for a serving or two without thawing the whole side of salmon. I've seen - but not tried - smoked wild sockeye at Superstore. They seem to have several different brands of smoked salmon - you might give one of those a shot. All frozen ones.

If you should happen to end up in Toronto, I would recommend the smoked salmon from Central Epicure - they have an outlet near Steeles and Weston Road. They also do great smoked whitefish. It's in the middle of nowhere but not far off the 407 if you're up at that end of the city. I've also heard great things about Kristapsens (sp?) but have never had their smoked salmon so can't vouch personally.

Might try the Superstore ones.  Thanks Nyleve.   (And trust me, I'd never 'happen to end up in Toronto' anymore.  We have friends who come regularly from Mississauga and I'll scope that one out.  Edit: Nope, way too far out of their way to ask.) 

Don't think I'm up for making gravlax at this point.  But I might try it in the future.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I've made gravlax many times - it's ridiculously easy. BUT the problem is getting good salmon is not so easy. I try to avoid farmed salmon if at all possible and that's what is mostly available, especially at this time of year. My son is a fisheries biologist working with salmon on the east coast and he has drilled into me how terrible the salmon farming industry is. I will occasionally by smoked salmon that I know is farmed but we don't talk about it. Haha.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Nyleve Baar said:

I've made gravlax many times - it's ridiculously easy. BUT the problem is getting good salmon is not so easy. I try to avoid farmed salmon if at all possible and that's what is mostly available, especially at this time of year. My son is a fisheries biologist working with salmon on the east coast and he has drilled into me how terrible the salmon farming industry is. I will occasionally by smoked salmon that I know is farmed but we don't talk about it. Haha.

OK.  You are on. :smile:  I've used your recipes before with success.  Salmon is one of the few items that Ed buys top notch quality.  If you post or PM me your recipe...please...I'll defrost a piece and do it.                   

• Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Ok then!  Here goes. Please let us all know how it turns out - and happy anniversary!

Gravlax

Two  1 lb. centre cut salmon fillets (with skin on one side, if possible)
1 tbsp. coarsely crushed peppercorns
1 tbsp. coarsely crushed coriander seeds
1 tsp. dry mustard
2 tbsp. coarse salt
2 tbsp. granulated sugar
1/4 cup vodka
1 bunch fresh dill, trimmed

Place both pieces of salmon, skin-side-down, on a baking sheet or large platter. Combine peppercorns, coriander seeds, dry mustard, salt, and sugar. Press evenly on flesh side of both salmon fillets.

Line a glass dish or baking pan with an excess of plastic wrap. It should hang over all the sides because you'll be using it to wrap the salmon in. Place one fillet, spice-side-up, in the plastic-lined pan. Sprinkle with half of the vodka. Lay dill sprigs in a heavy layer over it. Place the second fillet on top of the first, spice-side-down. Sprinkle with the rest of the vodka. Wrap the salmon as snugly as possible in the plastic wrap. Place a tray or plate over the salmon and weight it down with a few heavy cans or potatoes or a bag of oranges...whatever you've got handy. Refrigerate for at least 2 days, turning the salmon over so the juices are evenly distributed once or twice a day.

That's pretty much it. You can let it go 3 days if you want but 2 days is enough - too long can dry out the salmon and make it tough.

To serve, remove from the marinade, scrape away dill, and most of the seasonings. Slice very  thinly and serve with mustard sauce (recipe follows).

Leftovers will keep for a week or so, in the marinade.

Mustard sauce
1/3 cup    Dijon mustard
1 tsp.    dry mustard
1/4 tsp.    hot pepper sauce
2 tbsp.    granulated sugar
2 tbsp.     white wine vinegar (or cider vinegar)
1/3 cup    olive oil
3 tbsp.    finely chopped dill (I didn't use it)
2 tbsp.    whipping cream

In a small bowl, mix together the Dijon mustard, dry mustard, hot pepper sauce, sugar and vinegar. With a whisk, slowly beat in oil until it becomes mayonnaise-ish. (I used a mini food processor and it worked just fine.) Stir in the chopped dill and whipping cream.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nyleve Baar said:

Ok then!  Here goes. Please let us all know how it turns out - and happy anniversary!

Thanks so much.  And thanks for the good wishes.  

First of all, I'll cut the recipe in half because my dear husband of 59 years will not touch anything which hasn't been cooked by heat.  He just won't accept it.  It's not intellectual...it's a gut reaction.  Plus he just doesn't care for smoked salmon anyway.  (Some eGers might recall the thread about bamboo steamers from many years ago.   Ed wouldn't accept that either.   andiesenji actually sent me a gift stainless steel steamer so that life could carry on.  Yes, I love him dearly but am not above twitting him on occasion.) 

Secondly, I hope I can get away with leaving out the dill.  I don't like dill and I won't touch it.  It's a long story and I won't bore you all.  I guess we are both deficient in some areas.  :P

If cutting the recipe in half and omitting the dill is a problem...please let me know. 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

16 minutes ago, kayb said:

@Darienne, I have read that you can sub fresh chives or thyme for dill. Have never tried it. Seems reasonable it would work.

Absolutely adore thyme.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

You can absolutely leave out the dill. Use thyme if you like, or just leave it out altogether. Not a big deal. As for cutting it in half, I guess it would work. In that case I wouldn't bother trying to sandwich it together as in the recipe. Just wrap it all tightly in saran and weigh it down. Should turn out fine.

• Like 1