• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

chromedome

chromedome

On 1/23/2019 at 12:10 PM, kayb said:

Unless you're in and out of your freezer a dozen times a day, I'd say you're in the market for a new gasket.

Well...some days I am, but that's rare. I *did* replace a gasket on my old one (pro tip, for those as dense as me...it's infinitely easier if you remove the door), but it died shortly thereafter when the refrigeration coils rusted through.

I think it's partly because of my humid climate here on the coast (and I mean *right* on the coast, I can see the harbour from my window) and partly because my upright, for reasons of logistical necessity, shares a space with my portable dishwasher. This is less than ideal in more ways than I can begin to count, but it's literally the only way I can have them both usable in my current rental.

...and to forestall the inevitable suggestion, we've already begun packing for a late-spring move. :P

chromedome

chromedome

On 1/23/2019 at 12:10 PM, kayb said:

Unless you're in and out of your freezer a dozen times a day, I'd say you're in the market for a new gasket.

Well...some days I am, but that's rare. I *did* replace a gasket on my old one (pro tip, for those as dense as me...it's infinitely easier if you remove the door), but it died shortly thereafter when the refrigeration coils rusted through.

I think it's partly because my climate here on the coast (and I mean *right* on the coast, I can see the harbour from my window) and partly because my upright, for reasons of logistical necessity, shares a space with my portable dishwasher. This is less than ideal in more ways than I can begin to count, but it's literally the only way I can have them both usable in my current rental.

...and to forestall the inevitable suggestion, we've already begun packing for a late-spring move. :P