• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Does anyone know of a toaster-oven that can maintain accurate temperature?

afrank

1 minute ago, afrank said:

Thanks! Yeah I did come across this at one point. Saving it now.

I definitely do plan to test their numbers

I'm looking into two routes. It would either be getting a home test kit, or sending out to a lab. A friend introduced me to an acquaintance of his who has a business in Washington. I might be able to work with him on the testing part. Not sure, yet.

I’d want to see the specs on the home test, I suspect a lack of precision. 

How much better can you do than what’s been cited above using good labs?

At best you’ll be in the neighborhood of Kerry’s reference. 

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

I’d want to see the specs on the home test, I suspect a lack of precision. 

How much better can you do than what’s been cited above using good labs?

At best you’ll be in the neighborhood of Kerry’s reference. 

Or by then it may not matter.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 1/20/2019 at 10:19 PM, DiggingDogFarm said:

Something else you could try is the following—I've done it in the past to get a much more stable temperature.

Place a large covered roasting pan or stock pot in your current oven and test the average temperature inside that (keeping the sensor suspended)—it should be MUCH more stable.

I was going to suggest something like this...basically a heat sink. I would think there would much less temperature variance with a heat sink.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

15 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Place a large covered roasting pan or stock pot in your current oven and test the average temperature inside that

Do you have recommendations regarding a reliable thermometer for this?

I've gone through 3 pretty rapidly. I test them in boiling water to see if they're accurate. They all start out good, but lose accuracy over time.

I don't remember my first model.

My previous thermometer was this one:

https://www.amazon.com/ThermoPro-TP-16-Thermometer-Stainless-Standard/dp/B017613C3C/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=thermpro&qid=1548182380&sr=8-10

but it started to show inaccuracy, so got this double-probe one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07477NMF4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm assuming that it too will not last long.

51 minutes ago, afrank said:

I've gone through 3 pretty rapidly. I test them in boiling water to see if they're accurate. They all start out good, but lose accuracy over time.

https://www.amazon.com/ThermoPro-TP-16-Thermometer-Stainless-Standard/dp/B017613C3C/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=thermpro&qid=1548182380&sr=8-10

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07477NMF4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This has lasted years and is still accurate

https://www.amazon.com/CDN-DTQ450X-Thin-Tip-Thermometer/dp/B0021AEAG2/ref=sr_1_74?crid=B2YXCAOO912V&keywords=digital+thermometer&qid=1548185541&s=Home+%26+Kitchen&sprefix=digital+ther%2Caps%2C541&sr=1-74

On 1/20/2019 at 10:44 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

What about a retort bag in a pressure cooker?

That was my thought.

This post, which includes the graph linked by Kerry, declares a "holy grail" decarb time and temp of 110 minutes at 110C. An electric pressure cooker set to LOW pressure should process at around 110C/230F.

So maybe pressure-cooker-decarbing in an empty canning jar (with lid, of course) or one of those silicone sous vide bags might be the answer.

Do step up and take one for the team, as I am unwilling just yet :laugh:

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

1 hour ago, afrank said:

All my thermometers are from ThermoWorks.

They have several applicable models.

All PIDS are from Auber Instruments, with the exception of two Sous Vide Magics (which are compatible with some of the sensors from Auber.)

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I'll second Thermoworks.  But you probably want a temperature logger.  Thermoworks has high temperature USB temperature loggers but they are expensive.  I have a Thermoworks WiFi temperature logger but a wired connection is required between the thermocouple junction and the transmitter.  Can't use it for the pressure cooker, can't use it for the CSO.  Works fine for the conventional oven though.  Someday one of the USB units!

For the pressure cooker I use temperature sensing strips.  The strips will record the maximum temperature reached but will not show the temperature variation over time.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Ran a little experiment this morning: Placed two fresh tortilla chips in a lightly used 16 oz. Mason jar, with a new lid and band.

Placed the jar on a trivet in my Cuisinart electric pressure cooker, added 2 cups of water, and cooked on High for 40 minutes. Natural release for 10 minutes, and then manually released remaining pressure.

Result: Two dry and crispy tortilla chips. No implosion, no water intrusion, no babysitting!

FYI, ATK's testing of the Cuisinart indicated that the temperature achieved during High pressure was around 241F/116C. If that is correct, that would put this electric p.c. (and others?) in the same temp range as devices specifically manufactured for decarboxylation.

• Like 1

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.