• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

One Night in London...

wish it were Bangkok, but it ain't so. (couldn't resist...hehe) Actually, I LOVE London and I'll be staying with a friend in Clapham before flying from Gatwick to Seville. What do you recommend for a truly classic, Brit experience.

Rules: No Terrence Conran, no mushy peas references, no ethnic. I live in NYC so I eat my share of everything from Taiwanese to Uzbeki and am simply craving somthing pub-by and quaint and plain but exquisite.

hmmmmm?

Yours in Marmite and Branston Pickle (spicy)

Lisa

Thanks for the suggestions. Clapham-Woman was quite pleased and agreed with the advice. I will give in and have a lunch at Mr. Conran's Butlers Wharf "Chop House" where I will probably enjoy a Gammon Leek and Montgomery Cheddar tart (the menu on the site looks good). Off then to the Tate Modern where my husband will whine about modern art incessantly. I will humour him, however, because he will probably be picking remnants of my sticky pudding off his coat from the top of the London Eye shortly thereafter (we're culture-less Americans, we MUST ride the EYE:)

Then, in my food-centered estimation, he will refuel me with yet another large meal at St. John (what should I have Simon?) and finally on to Jerusalem Tavern where I will, ineveitabley listen to him pontificate on the subject of warm beer. Alas, I will not care as I will be fanatasizing about devouring my eccles cake (not even sure of what it is yet...but I want it already) on the plane ride to Seville.

Thank you for the info.

Any ideas for a late meal Valentine's night? We'll arrive at Heathrow by nine and be ready to dine by eleven, I'd imagine. Somewhere a few pieces of carry-on wouldn't be too gauche....

I am not the person to ask about Valentine's day. Love is for saps, suckers and neer do wells and was invented by the Victorians to stop the spread of Clap!!!

Anyway, ay St J's you MUST have the sig dish which is the roast marrowbone salad and, if you are very lucky, it will be squirrel time and you must have that if they have it. If not there is lots of other stuff.

At The Jerusalem Tavern ( on Little Britton St- I think, but I am usually there after somewhere else and am a bit "tired" shall we say ) have the porter.

S

Must have missed something -- going to a pub after dinner? Will likely be closed unless either (1) you dine early or (2) eat quickly. :biggrin:

While St. John's gets quite a lot of plugs here (very deservedly), I'll put in a vote for Monkeys in Chelsea. St. John's, for all its culinary merits, is a horrible room and feels nothing like England to me.

Simon you are almost as witty and jaded as my friend Sophie-Clapham-Woman....My husband, who's been peskily reading over my shoulder, just declared emphatically with a roll of the eye: " Those two should run off......"

I know egullet is not match.com but hey, if you don't find women offensive, happen to want to meet anyone who scorns V-day as much as yourself, AND, bonus point... shares your love of squirrel, let me know and I'd happily introduce you to a lovely 31 year old marketing director from the Mother Country. She's climbed Killy, had foot long prawns in Zanzibar, cooked dulce de leche over a fire in the jungles of South America, and even been nipped by a tarantula. Quite the cv.

P.S. I just happen to be landing on Valentine's Day and am looking for a meal relatively late....No desire for votive candles, heart-shaped molten cakes, or Sade on the sound system...

Simon you are almost as witty and jaded as my friend Sophie-Clapham-Woman....My husband, who's been peskily reading over my shoulder, just declared emphatically with a roll of the eye: " Those two should run off......"

I know egullet is not match.com but hey, if you don't find women offensive, happen to want to meet anyone who scorns V-day as much as yourself, AND, bonus point... shares your love of squirrel, let  me know and I'd happily introduce you to a lovely 31 year old marketing director from the Mother Country.  She's climbed Killy, had foot long prawns in Zanzibar, cooked dulce de leche over a fire in the jungles of South America, and even been nipped by a tarantula.  Quite the cv.

P.S.  I just happen to be landing on Valentine's Day and am looking for a meal relatively late....No desire for votive candles, heart-shaped molten cakes,  or Sade on the sound system...

The fact that she lives South of the river would always come between us. I don't visit The Swamp. Not even for a legover.

Mogsob is quite right, though. The Jerusalem is only open until last orders ( 11pm ) The Wenlock on the other hand is very likely to have some sort of lock-in going on. An experience in itself

S

My husband ...just declared emphatically with a roll of the eye: " Those two should run off......"

Oh Lisa, if only they would :rolleyes:

... ...if you don't find women offensive ...

The problem is actually the other way round.

... shares your love of squirrel ...

We here are not sure if Simon's love of squirrels is entirely platonic or culinary, nor how he feels about threesomes.

I'd happily introduce you to a lovely 31 year old ...

That's killed it off, then. Much too young, oh I mean much too young ...

But we thank you for trying, Lisa, from the bottom of our eGulletarian hearts :wub:

excerpted from an e-mail Soph just sent me (I wisely didn't forward "The Swamp" mention or she certainly would not be invoking your assistance Simon:)

By the way I have just made a reservation for 5 at the Ivy 5.30-7.15pm on Sat 15 Feb - we don't have to use but we've got it if we do. Stacey reckons The Ivy is a must over St Johns.....................

Does Simon know if anywhere (particularly South London - Clapham, Brixton, Camberwell, Dulwich, Battersea way) to eat on the Fri after 11pm. The ONLY options I can think of are Vingt Quatre a 24 hour restaurant (but not desperately near home) or a traditional British experience - dodgy kebab out of paper following a number of beers...............

anyone? I avoid dodgy at all costs. Especially when uttered by a Brit.

Lisa

(stuffing her face with Jacques Torres dark chocolates)

excerpted from an e-mail Soph just sent me (I wisely didn't  forward "The Swamp" mention or she certainly would not be invoking your assistance Simon:)

By the way I have just made a reservation for 5 at the Ivy 5.30-7.15pm on Sat 15 Feb - we don't have to use but we've got it if we do.  Stacey reckons The Ivy is a must over St Johns.....................

Does Simon know if anywhere (particularly South London - Clapham, Brixton, Camberwell, Dulwich, Battersea way) to eat on the Fri after 11pm.  The ONLY options I can think of are Vingt Quatre a 24 hour restaurant (but not desperately near home) or a traditional British experience - dodgy kebab out of paper following a number of beers...............

anyone?  I avoid dodgy at all costs. Especially when uttered by a Brit.

Lisa

(stuffing her face with Jacques Torres dark chocolates)

The Ivy over St J's

is she a bit simple this pal of yours?

The Ivy is Ok food with views of fading celebs

St J is a truly original experience

Huh?

S

I probably should have not clued Soph in to my horrible attempt to marry her off. However, I did, and here is her response:

What a vile phrase - 'not even for a legover'. I do NOT want to meet him EVER.

He's quite right though - if he lives in north London then never the twain shall meet..........

Please make sure you relay all of the above.

I still think it would have been an interesting meeting. I had no clue what a legover was. I probably wouldn't have passed the thread along had I had an inkling. : :unsure: I personally prefer "booty-call" myself. My Queens upbringing I suppose.

Alas, St. John prevails. Many thanks to all. Next bit of help will be with Sevilla. I have a huge file filled with stuff relating to Andalusia but will post on the proper board, lest anyone get annoyed.

E-gullet is cool. I'm happy to have joined. The playful banter warmed my frigid morning here in NY.