• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

paid for "premium" beans from a single farm but size of beans all different

eugenep

I bought 22 lbs of beans from this single farm in Colombia. I'm a home roaster. 

The beans are from a small coffee tree farm with only 6,000 trees and 2 hectares and sold at a slight premium price. 

When they arrived in the mail, some beans are big and some are small.  

Only one coffee bean varietal is listed - Canturra. 

It looks like the small beans are from one plant and big beans are from another varietal.  

Do you think I got ripped off (like they just put a bunch of random green coffee beans and sold it to me as "premium" single estate)

I got it here https://invalsacoffee.com/collections/colombia/products/colombia-micro-lot-emiliano-trujillo-huila-available-at-continetal-nj-salisbury-ma-new-arrival

"Only when we have enough pergamino coffee to fill a shipping container, and we are ready to export it, do we finish processing by removing the pergamino, separating the beans by size according to graded screens, and by hand-selecting and removing coffee bags with faults and/or defects and low cupping score."

Emphasis added.

Source: https://invalsacoffee.com/pages/about-us

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

10 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

"Only when we have enough pergamino coffee to fill a shipping container, and we are ready to export it, do we finish processing by removing the pergamino, separating the beans by size according to graded screens, and by hand-selecting and removing coffee bags with faults and/or defects and low cupping score."

Emphasis added.

Source: https://invalsacoffee.com/pages/about-us

Hmmm....I read that pergamino just means beans in parchment/skin. 

So Invalsa is claiming that they do in fact separate by bean size. 

But it's not true from my lot after paying mucho $$$ and being stuck with 22 lbs. 

Hmmm...I'll be drinking the coffee tomorrow so...the taste test will determine whether or not I got burned here. 

Their Bolivians I got last time from Invalsa was all uniform in size and the taste really was superb. I just hope these Colombians will deliver. 

48 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

"Only when we have enough pergamino coffee to fill a shipping container...

What I think they're essentially saying is that the coffee isn't graded and such unless there's significant quantity—intermodal shipping containers are very large.

It appears that they're sending it , in bulk, to Taxachusetts, for direct distribution.

It could be that they're packing several varieties in one container.

We're only guessing.

It's best to ask them.

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!