• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cruffins

ElsieD

8 hours ago, teonzo said:

I never tried so I can't be sure, but I suppose a vertical roll of puff pustry would collapse under its own weight during the first stage in the oven, ending up with a ruined product (at least about its shape). Besides that, puff pastry cooks properly when it's thin, when you cook a big piece you end up with a lot of uncooked dough in the inside.

If you are lazy you can buy frozen uncooked croissants (all butter if possible), let them defrost in the fridge, roll them lightly to form a ball (the less you touch them the better), then put the balls in the muffin tins and proceed as normal.

Teo

I just happen to have some unbaked, all butter croissants from Costco in the freezer.  I think I'll give this a shot.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hongda said:

Sounds similar to the crust for a Portuguese Tart

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/269064/portuguese-custard-tarts-pasteis-de-nata/

I watched this but it is not what I am after, but thank you for posting this.  I have seen Poruguese tarts but have never had one.  Now that I know what goes into making them, I'll have to try one.

I do not know if it helps you are or not, but I recently made some cruffins to sell at the local Sunday market.  I ended up calling them "morning buns", but they were cruffins with a cream cheese glaze.  They were really good.  Alas, the crowd there is a pretty healthy lot so I did not sell as many as I thought I would (but hey, the hummus I had sold out 2 weeks in a row haha).

I use my normal croissant recipe and then use the braiding technique this chef employs.  

I wish I had better pictures of them, but I really liked the look of them.  Any questions, let me know.  Hope this is more what you are looking for.

Cruffin 1.jpg

Cruffin 2.jpg

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

I did these for New Year’s Eve breakfast with a chai spiced sugar coating. I fell in love with making them and the best part was that I made them, shaped and froze them ahead of time to bake off on the morning of the 31st. My first attempt and I am hooked. 

6BD9BAE5-DFC4-4577-9DCD-82F2422053B6.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

On 1/3/2020 at 11:36 PM, AKS613 said:

I did these for New Year’s Eve breakfast with a chai spiced sugar coating. I fell in love with making them and the best part was that I made them, shaped and froze them ahead of time to bake off on the morning of the 31st. My first attempt and I am hooked. 

6BD9BAE5-DFC4-4577-9DCD-82F2422053B6.jpeg

Please do share, if you can.  My Morning Buns should look like that!  I'd love to try again and get your results!

• Like 1

Thanks for the lovely comments. Here is the link:

https://www.withspice.com/blog/chai-spiced-breakfast-buns-cruffins/

Please note one that I doubled the yeast because I was shaping and freezing the dough before baking. Also, I use Active Dry yeast due to freezing prior to baking. I changed the proportions of the chai seasoning as I found it way too intense for my chai-loving family. I would advise you to look at this recipe closely before combining ingredients as I had to throw out the first batch. In addition, I would halve the sugar chai mixture-way too much left over. With these few tweaks, these rolls were astonishingly delicious. I’ll be making these again later this month for visitors coming in February, so again, make ahead and freeze. I will only be adding cinnamon and nutmeg to the sugar this time, as I will be serving them with a clementine curd (I have an obscene amount that will go bad unless I use them soon lol!). Please post your results-I’d love to see them. Happy baking!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1