• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cruffins

ElsieD

I realize cruffins have been around for a while but I had never had one until I spotted them at my local Farm Boy.  They are a cross between a muffin and a croissant and Farm Boy sells them with either a lemon curd filling or a vanilla one.  While googling cruffins, I came across a recipe posted at taste.au.com and decided to make some today.  I did not fill them with anything.  To me, the ones I made more closely resemble Kouign Amann than what my store sells as cruffins.    The recipe i used called for 1 1/3 cups flour and 1/2 pound plus a couple of tablespoons of butter.  Rich they are and nicely layered but not what I was looking for.  Has anyone else tried making these?

20190116_183350.jpg

Edited by ElsieD
Forgot to add picture (log)
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Isabelle Prescott said:

There are many recipes for cruffins on the internet.  Google and you will find them.  

I thought that’s what she said she had done.  

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

20 minutes ago, Isabelle Prescott said:

There are many recipes for cruffins on the internet.  Google and you will find them.  

Thank you for responding but that is not the answer to the question I was asking.  I wanted to know if any eGulleters had made them.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I wanted to know if any eGulleters had made them.

I have not... and now I'm trying to decide whether I should thank you or (politely, of course) curse you for bringing them to my attention. :P :D

My "things to try" list is getting much longer than I have any realistic chance of actually completing at the rate I've been knocking them off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

2 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

buns2.jpg.531bfd472f07ad573b68fb1c6d7f60f1.jpg

Just in case I was continuing to resist, Kim Shook comes in with the kill shot... and once again, resistance is futile.

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

21 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

Just in case I was continuing to resist, Kim Shook comes in with the kill shot... and once again, resistance is futile.

They do look damn good. But I am still resisting.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

They do look damn good. But I am still resisting.

At this point, so am I. But I'm pretty sure it has less to do with strength of will and more to do with plain ol' laziness. So if I get past that, I could be in trouble. :D

• Haha 4

I remember seeing these on the CooksCountry show.

they struck me as an individual variant of the classic

' Sticky buns '   is you added ' sticy' to the bottom of the pan

Cinnamon buns  , pecan buns etc , but not in the large pan format.

oddly enough

some time ago  I made ' sticky pecan buns '

but put the sticky pecan part in an individual  pyrex glass container , the larger version of the L and S

and one until of bun on top

and froze.   I then wrapped them carefully as I could , Fz burn etc.

the idea was my father could take one out in the evening , place it in a kitchen cabinet

so Earthquake would not be overly interested over night in them

in the AM they would be proofed and ready for the oven

this worked very well , and you had to be careful as the glass was Hot Hot Hot  when you took them out

and had to wait a bit to turn them over.  so as to avoid burns.

I used all sorts of Bottom-sticky  :  quality orange marmalade , lime marmalade , grapefruit marmalade etc

My father enjoyed them from time to time, one at a time.

maybe someone can work with that idea if there was a calling for 1 - 2 + buns / AM.

P.S.:  my technique predates the invention of CC.

just to be clear 

suprise.gif.b8255e3087afdcefc933032f3d7868e1.gif

come on now , smile a little

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Rich they are and nicely layered but not what I was looking for Has anyone else tried making these?

I haven't, and I am also resisting, so I'm not answering your question either. However, I am curious about the first sentence quoted above. What were you looking for? In what way were the cruffins you made deficient?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

@Kim Shook  Thanks for posting the link and the picture.  What I ended up with is very similar to yours, with that same flakiness.   To me, what you made and what I made looks to more closely resemble kouign amann.  But this is different.  The picture is of the purchased ones, with lemon curd in the middle.  To answer @Smithy 's question, the cruffins I have purchased aren't dripping with butter (as these were) and the dough is lighter, more like croissant dough and not as sweet as these were.  I found a couple of recipes that I'm going to try out as I have time and I'll post the results.

20190117_164713.jpg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

I have seen several recipes  where the dough part, excluding the butter, is rolled out using a pasta machine until it gets to the thinnest level.  The dough is then spread with the butter, rolled, cut, etc.  As we have a pasta machine I think I'll try that.

• Like 1

Huh.  My favorite local coffee shop does a version of these, but savory.  Two versions, actually.  One is called a bodi roll (no, I've no idea why, or even if that's the correct spelling) but they are that shape, with the lovely laminated texture of a croissant, with a ribbon of pepper jack cheese baked in.  And the other is the same dough, only filled with cream cheese and then sprinkled with everything seasoning (and called, appropriately enough, an everything roll).  I am mildly addicted to the first version, especially when slightly warmed.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 1/17/2019 at 10:01 AM, Kim Shook said:

I made these.  Do they sound like the same thing to you?  Some pictures:

buns.jpg.8c8fd1af9f835c89b1884f427c24acba.jpg

buns2.jpg.531bfd472f07ad573b68fb1c6d7f60f1.jpg

I made them back in 2013.  I noted that the rise I got was not what I expected, but that they were delicious and flaky.  

@Kim Shook  Can you tell me what recipe you used?  I was all set today to try to make these again using the same recipe as the one I used before but decided against it.

Just now, ElsieD said:

@Kim Shook  Thank you.  How important is the orange?  Could you taste it?  The link, BTW, no longer works.

I don't remember it having a big orange flavor.  You could easily sub some other liquid.  I think apple juice/cider would be great.  It doesn't surprise me that the link to the video doesn't work - it's from Cook's Country and they are notoriously stingy with their online content.  I used to follow them on FB and, even though I followed them and have a sign on (though not a paid membership) on their websites, almost none of the recipes they posted were available.  I complained and they gave me some BS excuse.  At the end of every episode of Cook's Country or America's Test Kitchen they say the recipes from the show are available online.  What is actually true is that only the current season is available.  And finding those is like searching for a needle in a haystack.  🙄

• Like 1

From what I know cruffins are made with croissant dough, cut in rectangular shape (opposed to the traditional triangular shape for croissants), then rolled (like you do for pain au chocolat, but without the chocolate sticks of course), put in a muffin tin / mould (in vertical position), proofed in that, then cooked in the oven. You fill them after they cooled down to almost room temperature.

So you just need a good croissant recipe. Croissant dough should contain really few sugar and no flavorings, just flour + butter + water + yeast + sugar + salt. There are tons of croissant recipes, the good ones have really little differences. To play it safe it's always a good idea to start with a Pierre Hermé recipe, there are plenty of blogs that posted croissant recipes by Hermé. Most probably there are many recipes in the eG archive too. Avoid the Chef Steps recipe, they add lots of sugar in the butter block, that's not real croissant dough, that's for kouign amann. Croissant dough is neutral like puff pastry, you can use it for both sweet and savory items.

Teo

• Like 1

Teo

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

...At the end of every episode of Cook's Country or America's Test Kitchen they say the recipes from the show are available online.  What is actually true is that only the current season is available.  And finding those is like searching for a needle in a haystack.  🙄

If you Google "Cook's Country Morning Buns", you can find the same recipe you posted. You can locate the videos, too, but you have to sign up for their web site in order to see them  ¬¬...and I ain't a gonna do that! :laugh:

There's also a couple of Tartine Bakery videos you can find that show a similar recipe. 

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

12 minutes ago, boudin noir said:

For the lazy - could you not use frozen puff pastry dough?

I never tried so I can't be sure, but I suppose a vertical roll of puff pustry would collapse under its own weight during the first stage in the oven, ending up with a ruined product (at least about its shape). Besides that, puff pastry cooks properly when it's thin, when you cook a big piece you end up with a lot of uncooked dough in the inside.

If you are lazy you can buy frozen uncooked croissants (all butter if possible), let them defrost in the fridge, roll them lightly to form a ball (the less you touch them the better), then put the balls in the muffin tins and proceed as normal.

Teo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Teo