• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Power outage - sous vide

TdeV

Sorry, I'm away from home and can't really investigate search of egullet history.

Last night we had a power outage which may have been 4 hours (the stove clock was 4 hours behind this morning). I have a hanger steak at 133F.

I'm thinking it's safest to throw it out. Right?

Edited by TdeV
Clarity (log)

Normally I would say yes — throw it out. However, in this case I would wonder how long it had been cooking and had it possibly reached pasteurization temperature internally.  I’ll leave it to others more expert than me to answer any further.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I started it at about 5 p.m. yesterday at 133F in the sous vide. Prior to doing that I had immersed the bagged meat into boiling water for 1 minute, so it was not at fridge temperature. The power outage came some time after 11:30 p.m.

Each packet about 1.5 lbs, double-bagged in ziplock.

Edited by TdeV
Clarity (log)

I'd tend to say it would be ok also.  The very conservative US FDA food code says that food should spend <4 hours between 40F and 140F...  but they're not taking SV into account, which can pasteurize at around 130.  Since the power was only off for 4 hours, I'd say the bath was below 130F for less time than that...

• Like 3

I can't weigh in on food safety, but can add that many clocks do not necessarily reflect the actual duration of the power outage. I know I have one in my house that always comes back to a particular time when power is restored. So I would hesitate to assume the duration of the outage based on the clock's time.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

11 minutes ago, TdeV said:

It was very tasty and I'm still alive this morning. I'll check in later.

Phew!  Hate to lose ya. 

• Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

And here I always thought as soon as power went out in Canada food temperature safely dropped below the danger zone??  Can't speak for Florida, however.  Never been there.

Count me a fan of UPS.  I have two 1500 VA units.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry for delay, I've just caught up with this thread.

My experience has been that power outages are fairly common in California SF Bay area (where I was). They also have two  UPS there -- so I know what to do for next time!