• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

a "small plate" for 450 people

griddler

Hi all,

We have a camper at a campground/resort that has very large crowds on major summer holidays,  Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day etc..  On these weekends there is a "poker run" where people visit different sites at the park and have a drink and an appetizer.

We get tagged every other year or so to be one of the "sites" and we are running out of ideas.  We have had good success with grilled cheese and tomato soup, smoked meat loaf, etc.  We have seen other camp  members blow over a grand on ribs, Italian beef, chicken wings etc.. Camp members participating get only a token financial reimbursement, but lots of good karma, so being able to impress on a budget would be great.  It is essentially an idea that started out very modest (40-50 people) that has grown way out of proportion, but  my role is to participate, not direct, and I am good with that.

We have access to griddles, Turkey Fryers, etc. so cooking equipment is not the problem.  What are some good ideas for relatively inexpensive, yet impressive options for this type of event.  Mexican, pasta, junk food, is not an option (well it is, but not a good one) because it shows up at 2-3 sites every time, and being unique and different is as important as being very good.

Our latest thought  was to slice pork loin thin,  add a light breading and throw it on a 2'x 3' foot propane griddle, and make a miniature schnitzel with a dollop of apple sauce and a side of of red cabbage (cooked ahead of time).  Inexpensive, unique, but recognizable and flavorful. 

This event happens 5-6 times over the summer so most of the easy solutions are already taken. Do you folks have any other ideas to impress on a budget when most of the go-to options have been done to death?

Thanks in advance.

Mini meatball sandwiches

pulled pork and slaw

mini reuben

stuffed mushrooms e g sausage and cream cheese

fish cake sandwich w aioli

italian sausage with tomatoes peppers and onions sandwich

kung pao shrimp

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 1

As a former "buffet' queen who understands the need for longevityy of product I like meatballs in slow cooker (think sweet & sour- the classic grape jelly ones). Kale based salads with dried cranberries and seeds hold up well and add color and texture.  Bean dip with spicy sauce and melty cheese and chips is always huge winner. With the griddle I think Baja style hot dogs (you could up grade the sausage) would be fun. Our street carts griddle onions and japanos to offer, like shown on this site) no affiliation http://www.dirtdogla.com/

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

Falafel in mini pitas with tahini sauce and shredded lettuce and chopped tomatoes.  Hummus to go with?

Green onion cakes with hot sauce and some kind of fresh shredded salad with soy, black vinegar and sesame oil dressing.

indian Dahl and chapati with raita...cucumber..?maybe not something folks know about

those japanese sandwiches that Anna has been making for breakfast over on the Breakfast thread.

along that line, vegetarian sushi rolls

fried rice with your choice of ingredients...?spam...I just watched Ugly Delicious...The Fried Rice episode.

croquets...some formulation you can fry in the turkey fryers with a variety of sauces.

A few eclectic ideas

• Like 1

I know you said pasta is done and done to exhaustion, but what about mac and cheese balls on a stick? Somewhere - probably here on eGullet - I've seen little balls made of macaroni and cheese that were rolled in breadcrumbs and then deep fried. Not exactly the most healthful option in the world, but poker runs aren't usually about good nutrition. This is a gimmick that, if tasty, would make extra points.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Thinking "budget" and "different" puts me in mind of my old standard favorite, white bean and sausage soup with spinach. How about if you did a riff on that:

• Slice and saute the smoked sausage
  • Cook the beans in chicken broth with tomatoes and Italian seasoning and mash into a rough spread
  • Cut mini-baguettes into slices, top with a spinach leaf, then the bean spread, and a slice of sausage. Spinach leaf would keep the bread from getting soggy.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

25 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I know you said pasta is done and done to exhaustion, but what about mac and cheese balls on a stick? Somewhere - probably here on eGullet - I've seen little balls made of macaroni and cheese that were rolled in breadcrumbs and then deep fried. Not exactly the most healthful option in the world, but poker runs aren't usually about good nutrition. This is a gimmick that, if tasty, would make extra points.

One of our local chefs presses the m and c into square pans and then cuts them into squares...perhaps a little less labour.

• Like 1