• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PdF using Agar

ChocoMom

So I was pondering what to do with a large container of cherry puree, and decided to do a PdF-type layer in a bonbon. Using Greweling's formula for agar jellies (p. 345 of Choc and Conf.) I can do this. But, his directions say to add the puree when the agar-sugar-glucose mixture cools to 194F.   What I am wondering is, if I added the puree when the agar mixture was say, around 195-200F, if the resulting texture might end up being pipe-able?  I've not made a pdf using agar before, so I'm interested in learning if it can be manipulated like that. 

Thanks for any help or suggestions!!! 

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

My sneaking suspicion is it won’t make a difference - but you may need to take one for the team.

I wonder if it is still not pipeable if it would respond to the food processor and a bit of booze treatment to make it so?

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

My sneaking suspicion is it won’t make a difference - but you may need to take one for the team.

I wonder if it is still not pipeable if it would respond to the food processor and a bit of booze treatment to make it so?

Agreed.  I've made agar fluid gels for dessert sauces.  You should be able to process it back to something semi-fluid, though if it is super dense your machine might struggle, so add liquid as desired. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

Agreed.  I've made agar fluid gels for dessert sauces.  You should be able to process it back to something semi-fluid, though if it is super dense your machine might struggle, so add liquid as desired. 

Yep, agar gels puree nicely. I haven't made that particular recipe from Greweling so I don't know how dense the gel is in this case but if your machine can handle it, it should do fine. Agar fluid gels can take on a lot of air when being pureed, I have no idea if that creates shelf life issues or not. I personally prefer gellan fluid gels over agar but agar works just fine. All of that is with the disclaimer that I've never used a fluid gel as a chocolate filling so I have no idea if there are other issues involved.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.