• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potato-covered pies: shepherd's, cottage, fisherman's, etc.

Thus showcasing the weakness of a wiki -- in some cases, an obscure source (onegreenplanet.org?) carries as much weight as one of recognized authority (Mrs. Beeton!)

"Shepherd" is not gendered in the first place, so calling someone a "shepherdess" is like calling someone a "teacheress." That's not just sexist, it's awkward (and kind of dumb sounding).

I suggest "gardener's pie," or "farmer's pie," if it's necessary to have a unique name for it. I'm not convinced it is.

• Like 5

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

5 hours ago, LivingMCM said:

My understanding is that a true shepherd's pie should contain lamb. If it uses something else instead, then it really has to be called something else. Hence "cottage pie" for beef.

Hmm, what should we call a vegetarian pie?

Rubbish.  😉

• Haha 7

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 9:57 PM, liuzhou said:

We need a 'horrified' emoji!

Couldn't find horrified...will one of these do?🤢🤮

I love corn 🌽

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

23 minutes ago, caroled said:

Couldn't find horrified...will one of these do?🤢🤮

I was thinking something more like this.

1966975700_TheScream.thumb.jpg.f3c82852602d53f9cb2463a00e4e558d.jpg

My mother used to make a sort of faux stargazy pie. It was really just a fish pie with mashed potato topping and a few sardines heads sticking up through the topping. True stargazy pies are fish and potato, but have a pastry topping. The potatoes are in the filling with the fish.

Baked_stargazy_pie.jpg.46f28420ee20d0f9941b96ec6284ce14.jpg

This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic license.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 4 years later...

What I would really, really like is a tried and trusted, dairy free, fish pie.

I would like one without dairy free alternatives to milk which seem to plague the web. Stock-yes, sauce-yes, milk, cream or their non dairy alternatives, no thank you.

• Like 1