• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocdoc takes her heart back to San Francisco

Kerry Beal

IMG_4005.thumb.jpg.3c44247adf5bce6c82a68d67f762a2df.jpg

Got the table set up and ready for the show. 

IMG_4004.thumb.jpg.592166b8088294935c4f67890d37ee82.jpg

Had to make a few faces at the camera man - "careful your face might stick like that".

IMG_4030.thumb.jpg.2b9c5e91fcee901f6b6842cd3a4c0bb5.jpg

Didn't get a whole lot of pictures of the show - too busy talking - but did manage to get a few of the items on the tasting table. See the red chocolate in the middle? That is the strawberry chocolate that @Alleguede made for me to take to the show - there was none left very quickly. He texted asking how folks liked it - I have videos of a bunch of people declaring their undying devotion to it that I texted back to him.

IMG_4036.thumb.jpg.7bd87f083906812bacdf3e10fbbc8975.jpg

IMG_4037.thumb.jpg.2da3e5cb4663c3751b71902524220a14.jpg

IMG_4035.thumb.jpg.cbc81575c5d7bdc931028ea3589db37e.jpg

• Like 14

39 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

No microwave - there is an iron, I have a heat gun, a coffee maker and a soldering iron. But I don't know that I'm really motivated to make a fruit crisp.

You could call room service and complain the fruit crisp they delivered to Mr. Beal wasn't cooked enough.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Emily from the Dallas Chocolate Festival suggested a place for dinner that she had been a few years back where she had had a very enjoyable Chinese meal. Fang Chinese. We were looking at the menu when the owner Peter Fang came along - took the menus and made it clear that he would chose for us.

IMG_4038.thumb.jpg.c7a79c927f0cbd4d72bca62b1617b2e1.jpg

IMG_4042.thumb.jpg.a8ead1b6442b1b387d1ff1fd078829d6.jpg

Tea was brought - flower tea which gradually bloomed.

IMG_4064.thumb.jpg.990b0c74c707caed4a1cc2de28af20bc.jpg

IMG_4099.thumb.jpg.61fb524d690f26aec3e0ea736f2838b8.jpg

IMG_4040.thumb.jpg.f0e18e52a2b303b3abff2e259f5c7c58.jpg

IMG_4081.thumb.jpg.88297e5642b9b5e43162a707a7efc4e7.jpg

Sesame peas.

IMG_4083.thumb.jpg.20fa170977a798703314d87866e0e235.jpg

Pork belly in steamed bun.

IMG_4086.thumb.jpg.a52c97f97997cc59afd41bdbb9fd5fca.jpg

IMG_4087.thumb.jpg.ed44fc7b52c93a1fc9948f8e5ff62ae8.jpg

A stellar wonton soup - if all wonton soup was this good - I'd order it a whole lot more.

IMG_4092.thumb.jpg.036a38acfc33470f0260703ad95f2f48.jpg

Shrimps and pear in a honey sauce.

IMG_4093.thumb.jpg.fb04a5c6af254bfc33dcce18bad4a66d.jpg

IMG_4094.thumb.jpg.12ac3f2926c640837e06e028a65465e9.jpg

IMG_4096.thumb.jpg.dca41227c6773cdae0c5af723dd47e70.jpg

Egg fried rice - cooked at the table.

IMG_4103.thumb.jpg.c6ad0dc4a23bf869ff725137192511ec.jpg

Crispy Honey Chili short rib.

IMG_4105.thumb.jpg.34dc0e4871caf9387c49105604207c30.jpg

Tofu with veg - not sure of preparation. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

A virtual shopping expedition to a Japanese dollar store while making a Japanese meal for myself yesterday evening really made my day!

Maybe @Kerry Beal can’t make a fruit crisp without an oven but she can still perform some pretty damn good miracles.

• Like 14

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

9 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Kerry Beal

lived the idea that the Chef ordered for you

loved the look of the shrimp w pear

wonder what the Rx is for that.

The menu lists them as "Honey Apple Prawns, coated in a sweet mayo paired with five spice crisped apple" - wonder if you could riff off that.

• Like 3

sweet mayo

never thought of that.

might be worth a try.

how did the dish taste to you ?

or more politely , would you order it again ?

you might ask the chef for ' Sweet Miracle Whip ' as a sub ?

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

LOL - yeah make me the mayo shrimp with Miracle Whip! You trying to get me killed?

Tasted very nice - the creamy sweet shrimp played off well against the spiced asian pear bits. 

Looks like the honey mayo dressing for shrimp is popular in Chinese restaurants - I found a few recipes online - Honey Walnut Shrimp seems to cover it in a lot of cases.

Yup - would order again. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

We were looking at the menu when the owner Peter Fang came along - took the menus and made it clear that he would chose for us.

Wouldn’t it be great if we could get anything like that in terms of Chinese food around our neck of the woods?   I’m sure  something similar isavailable somewhere in the GTA but not where we hang out.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

15 hours ago, curls said:

Really, no microwave in the room? Wouldn’t be a crisp but you could make a fruit compote with a microwave cake.

8 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

No microwave - there is an iron, I have a heat gun, a coffee maker and a soldering iron. But I don't know that I'm really motivated to make a fruit crisp.

I was thinking about the iron possibilities. But I have it. You need a roll of aluminum foil, a ziplock bag. Mix together the filling ingredients, seal them in the bag (might want to double-bag, or put the bag in a tight foil packet), and shove it in the coffee maker carafe. Run the coffee maker (no coffee, just the hot water) in. Let it sit till it cools. Dump. Repeat until the fruit has cooked enough. (See https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/11/the-food-lab-extra-gooey-apple-pie.html).

For the topping, mix it up, flatten into a relatively thin layer on half a piece of foil, fold to cover, and seal the edges. Iron until it's done.

In a bowl, combine hot fruit with cooked topping. Voilà: microwave-free fruit crisp-ish!

• Like 8

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Daiso = impossible! So many interesting things at such great prices. My friends and I load up the cart, then step to the side before checkout and ask "are you really going to use this item?" in an attempt to reduce spending and accumulation. (we do re-stock on shelves) Love the camera mugging.

43 minutes ago, heidih said:

@rotuts  Seems similar to a classic Cantonese-American dish I grew up with. Like this  https://damndelicious.net/2013/07/16/honey-walnut-shrimp/

I've also seen it made with the addition of a bit of lemon juice to balance the sweetness. I love this stuff and stay away from it as much as possible.😁

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

3 hours ago, FauxPas said:

Somehow, I think she could, if she wanted to.   🙂

I think she moved on quite some time ago.  

My 2004 eG Blog

17 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Brunch at Dandelion's new facility under construction - quite the spread they put on.

Not bad at all. Now I’m going to have to get up and make something to eat.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Visiting Daiso to me is an event.  I have to go 1 state over to shop there, but what fun!  The snacks alone are worth the trip, and all the little doodads and organizing things, quite addicting.

image.png.5de64c0df73ac4a23b5abb3cbcc2d001.png

That's an amazing table.  Is it temperature controlled or ????   Can't quite make out it's purpose.  

3 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Yes, that's sort of what I was saying. 

I think you are right. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Is that an adjustable height marble table?

Yup - hydraulic adjustable marble table. Suitable for pastry work, tempering, eating at... these tables (and there are more than one) will be in the teaching area of the factory.

Not temperature controlled though.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 6