• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

boilsover

boilsover

34 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Great insightful review. Thanks. 

Seems like experimentation is required with each pan...unless one just turns it on high, like a gas flame, and then backs off when it hits the desired temp. But if that’s the method, why not just use gas? 

The speed to reach frying temp isn’t great. 

I’m not sure I can see a niche for this unit yet. 

Thank you.

Yes, I think describing cooking on this appliance as ad hoc is accurate.  But I suggest that is also the case with most induction units, and for that matter most appliances and pans in general.  The idea of precise control is mostly illusory.  But I have not yet played with a Control Freak.

Why not just use gas?  Very good question.  I think the only meaningful answer (aside from personal preference and perceived convenience) is repeatability.  Once you determine setting X is ideal for Y pan with Z portions, you just set X again.  Gas requires judging by flame height or gross dial position, and repeating that is never 100% certain.

I did not measure the time needed to heat a skim of oil to frying temperature, just 2L for deep frying.  Doing that right requires a flat contact probe that can be immersed in oil.  Shooting IR through a thin oil film over a shiny bottom brings its own issues with emissivity.

The niche is for cooks who want to use copper/aluminum with induction, and that may be the best performance combination.  For example, one of the most revered lines of clad was Sitram Catering.  It wouldn't work at all on 24kHz, but it certainly would on this unit.   Many restaurants might switch to induction if they could continue to use cheap aluminum cookware.  And if the necessity for highest  heat falls away, there may be some real energy savings.

boilsover

boilsover

30 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Seems like experimentation is required with each pan...unless one just turns it on high, like a gas flame, and then backs off when it hits the desired temp. But if that’s the method, why not just use gas? 

Thank you.

Yes, I think describing cooking on this appliance as ad hoc is accurate.  But I suggest that is also the case with most induction units, and for that matter most appliances and pans in general.  The idea of precise control is mostly illusory.  But I have not yet played with a Control Freak.

Why not just use gas?  Very good question.  I think the only meaningful answer (aside from personal preference and perceived convenience) is repeatability.  Once you determine setting X is ideal for Y pan with Z portions, you just set X again.  Gas requires judging by flame height or gross dial position, and repeating that is never 100% certain.

I did not measure the time needed to heat a skim of oil to frying temperature, just 2L for deep frying.  Doing that right requires a flat contact probe that can be immersed in oil.  Shooting IR through a thin oil film over a shiny bottom brings its own issues with emissivity.

The niche is for cooks who want to use copper/aluminum with induction.  For example, one of the most revered lines of clad was Sitram Catering.  It wouldn't work at all on 24kHz, but it certainly would on this unit.   Many restaurants might switch to induction if they could continue to use cheap aluminum cookware.  And if the necessity for high heat falls away, there may be some real energy savings.

boilsover

boilsover

11 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Thank you.

Why not just use gas?  Very good question.  I think the only meaningful answer (aside from personal preference and perceived convenience) is repeatability.  Once you determine setting X is ideal for Y pan with Z portions, you just set X again.  Gas requires judging by flame height, and repeating that is not 100% certain.

The niche is for cooks who want to use copper/aluminum with induction.  For example, one of the most revered lines of clad was Sitram Catering.  It wouldn't work at all 24kHz, but it certainly would on this unit.   Many restaurants might switch to induction if they could continue to use cheap aluminum cookware.  And if the necessity for high heat falls away, there may be true energy savings.

• Similar Content

• By cteavin
      I was getting my daily YouTube fix a bit ago and this video reminded me of you guys: a how to on making dashi with Japanese soups I'd never heard of. The recipe seems simple enough. Enjoy, if you're inclined. 

• By David Ross
      Over the years I've collected both cookbooks and a large collection of what I call cooking "booklets." These are small booklets that were often mailed or given out free at grocery stores.  Most of them measure 5 1/2" x 8 1/2".  My Mother had a large collection, and I've bought many of them, for a few cents each, at vintage shops and estate sales.  I think my Mother would often clip something out of the newspaper food section or a magazine and send it in to the sponsor for the booklet.  Magazines like Sunset and Better Homes and Gardens printed a series of these booklets. 

They're a historical record of the way we cooked and ate at the time, but I also find them a great resource for creating new recipes today.  I'll start by posting the Metropolitan Cook Book printed by the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company.  Often there wasn't a published date in these cook books, but based on the recipes compared to my collection of vintage cook books, I'd say this one dates to around 1915.  Many of the recipes are similar to what I've found in the Fannie Farmer Cookbook of that time.  

There is a section of recipes titled "Invalid" recipes, where one could have things like Oatmeal Gruel, Irish Moss Lemonade and a Raw Beef Sandwich.  Under the "Lunch Box" section, there is a suggested cold lunch for "Industrial Workers"-
      1 minced ham sandwich with white bread
      1 Swiss cheese sandwich with rye bread
      1 whole tomato
      1 apple dumpling
      1 cup coffee (in Thermos)

For "School Children"-
      1 cottage cheese sandwich on brown bread
      1 jelly sandwich on white bread
      1 apple
      1/2 pint bottle of milk 

• By Stuart Tett
      Hi, I recently visited a local appliance store to look at gas ranges and hoods. I currently have a low-end 30" Samsung gas range and a ducted hood which doesn't do a good job with smoke or grease. It will hold up a piece of paper successfully, but the smoke detector goes off any time I'm cooking bacon or roasting anything in the oven or cooking with high heat on the cooktop.

So I went in to the appliance store nearby and the guy recommended Vent-a-hood. He demonstrated how quiet they are, how easy they are to clean, and claimed they are way more effective. In fact he had a 1 track mind, and didn't think there were any other hoods worth looking at.

Same for ranges. He showed me the Blue Star ranges and said that there's no comparison. Other high-end appliances like Wolf, etc can't sear a steak as well. He even said that people's complaints of Blue Star not being able to get very low was incorrect and demonstrated putting a piece of paper on a burner on low and it didn't burn. He claimed that the cast-iron is easy to clean (my wife doesn't believe him on this).

I do think both of these products are impressive, but I want to know what others think. I want to hear why he's might be wrong and/or are there other products that are just as good?
    • By Porthos
      For economic reasons we've had to defer a lot of maintenance items in our home. We can now start. We are planning on selling and relocating on another state, hopefully next year. 

Item one on our list is the kitchen. This is not a remodel, just all new surfaces. We've elected to reface our cabinets. My (still hoping) Blue Star range will be after we move.

I had a misguided and idealistic expectation that we would go to Home Depot, pick out everything we wanted in one trip and proceed.  This is not to be. You can stop laughing any time. We don't need any new appliances so that part is simple.

I didn't take any before pictures but it's a typical California tract home built in the 80s.

Because this is going to take WAY longer than I expected we're working on the front bathroom in tandem.  We have a relative that was an employment victim of COVID 19 so we're paying for some much-needed labor to help us along. Oh, and I really HATE painting. In the kitchen we've stripped off the 25+ y/o wallpaper and are prepping the walls for a primer coat. Tomorrow we'll start on cleaning and sanding the ceiling. 

The biggie in the kitchen is repairing the wall behind the sink. There's a bit of black mold to deal with but I've purchased the right PPE and can handle that.

Wish us luck.
    • By Dryden
      Hi folks!  We are redoing our kitchen and while we know what we're doing most everywhere, it turns out we need to upgrade our existing range hood to something new and we know nothing whatsoever about them.  We're in an apartment, so it needs to be a non-venting hood.

Does anyone have one they really like (and why?)  Price not an object here at all.  It's for a 36" range if that matters at all.

Thanks!