• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Tuber magnatum

Tuber magnatum

2 hours ago, paulraphael said:

A few thoughts ...

-Probably the chef pre-hydrates the xanthan not because it's hard to hydrate the stuff, but because it takes a while for it to fully hydrate. A blender or homogenizer will disperse it in a hurry, but it can still take a couple of hours to fully hydrate. This means that you can easily overshoot with the concentration. Pre-hydrating would take the guess work and the timing out of the picture.

-I'm not convinced he told you the full story. Anything thickened to that consistency with pure xanthan gum would be disgusting. It would basically have the consistency and mouth feel of snot. My guess is that that stuff (whatever it is) was naturally thick, based on whatever was pureed, or else it had some other ingredient that acted as a hydrocolloid. The xanthan could then be used to add a bit of viscosity, cling, and stability. 

Thanks for your thoughts.  You are correct; he was simply prehydrating.  I had asked him how he managed to create such a nice texture as in my experience I could never adequately hydrate the Xanthan. That's when he wrote out the ratio to create the Xanthan goop. What he would then do was take a small amount of the "goop" ie prehydrated xanthan gum and add to the liquid to reach the desired consistency.  I think you can get a sense of the consistency he was achieving with the addition of a small amount of the goop from my pictures above.  It wasn't  snotty at all, although I have on too many occasions over thickened sauce with xanthan.  But even prehydrated, I have had difficulty incorporating the xanthan goop into the liquid to achieve a smooth texture.

As for the green, I was hoping I wouldn't have to wait for St. Patricks Day to get a Shamrock Shake if you think that is the secret to the green! :)  Surely there is another option? 

Tuber magnatum

Tuber magnatum

A few thoughts ...

-Probably the chef pre-hydrates the xanthan not because it's hard to hydrate the stuff, but because it takes a while for it to fully hydrate. A blender or homogenizer will disperse it in a hurry, but it can still take a couple of hours to fully hydrate. This means that you can easily overshoot with the concentration. Pre-hydrating would take the guess work and the timing out of the picture.

-I'm not convinced he told you the full story. Anything thickened to that consistency with pure xanthan gum would be disgusting. It would basically have the consistency and mouth feel of snot. My guess is that that stuff (whatever it is) was naturally thick, based on whatever was pureed, or else it had some other ingredient that acted as a hydrocolloid. The xanthan could then be used to add a bit of viscosity, cling, and stability. 

Thanks for your thoughts.  You are correct; he was simply prehydrating.  I had asked him how he managed to create such a nice texture as in my experience I could never adequately hydrate the Xanthan. That's when he wrote out the ratio to create the Xanthan goop. What he would then do was take a small amount of the "goop" ie prehydrated xanthan gum and add to the liquid to reach the desired consistency.  I think you can get a sense of the consistency he was achieving with the addition of a small amount of the goop.  It wasn't  snotty at all, although I have on too many occasions over thickened sauce with xanthan.  But even prehydrated, I have had difficulty incorporating the xanthan goop into the liquid to achieve a smooth texture.

As for the green, I was hoping I wouldn't have to wait for St. Patricks Day to get a Shamrock Shake if you think that is the secret to the green! :)  Surely there is another option? 

Tuber magnatum

Tuber magnatum

A few thoughts ...

-If you have to get a thin liquid to that viscosity, a couple of suggestions:

-a 3:1ratio of lambda carrageenan and xanthan. Use at a concentration 0.4% to 0.6%. Doesn't have to be cooked, but should be dispersed with a blender to prevent clumping.

-a 10:1 ratio of arrowroot starch and xanthan. Use at a concentration of 0.5% to 1%. Needs to be cooked to hydrate. But pretty easy to disperse just by making a slurry and whisking. 

-Maybe the green is chlorophyl. Or maybe it's a Shamrock Shake™®©

A few thoughts ...

Thanks for your thoughts.  You are correct; he was simply prehydrating.  I had asked him how he managed to create such a nice texture as in my experience I could never adequately hydrate the Xanthan. That's when he wrote out the ratio to create the Xanthan goop. What he would then do was take a small amount of the "goop" ie prehydrated xanthan gum and add to the liquid to reach the desired consistency.  I think you can get a sense of the consistency he was achieving with the addition of a small amount of the goop.  It wasn't  snotty at all, although I have on too many occasions over thickened sauce with xanthan.  But even prehydrated, I have had difficulty incorporating the xanthan goop into the liquid to achieve a smooth texture.