• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

7 hours ago, Tuber magnatum said:

1) Has anyone tried this pre-hydration of xanthan and if so, how do you use it? Best way to mix?  How much to use? etc.  As noted, I ended up with a goop that was just as hard to disperse in my liquid as just using powdered xanthan.

2) Any ideas as to what the "green" is in either of the two dishes?  He makes use of it frequently in other platingsI have seen he posts on his  instagram and his facebook pages (Jan Hartwig - Restaurant Atelier, München).

I haven't tried that pre-hydration method.

I typically use xanthan and other hydrocolloids in preparations that contain an oil or fat of some sort.

So, the method that works best for me is to suspend the xanthan particles in a bit of oil for easy dispersal and to prevent clumping when it's added to the preparation.

I almost always use a stick blender rather than a standard blender.

But, I'm much more likely to use a hydrocolloid blend (same technique) rather than pure xanthan—I MUCH prefer the texture!

One such blend is "Thick It Up" (Locust bean (and/or tara), guar, acacia, xanthan gums.)

Different ratios for different preparations—a little goes LONG way!

I also make my own hydrocolloid blends.

After studying Jan's Restaurant Atelier Facebook and Instagram pages and some articles about Restaurant Atelier.

My guess is that the green sauces are made from various green herbs (or green herb blends) that compliment the particular dish (chive, tarragon, parsley, etc.)

HTH

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

1) Has anyone tried this pre-hydration of xanthan and if so, how do you use it? Best way to mix?  How much to use? etc.  As noted, I ended up with a goop that was just as hard to disperse in my liquid as just using powdered xanthan.

2) Any ideas as to what the "green" is in either of the two dishes?  He makes use of it frequently in other platingsI have seen he posts on his  instagram and his facebook pages (Jan Hartwig - Restaurant Atelier, München).

I typically use xanthan and other hydrocolloids in preparations that contain an oil or fat of some sort.

So, the method that works best for me is to suspend the xanthan particles in a bit of oil for easy dispersal and to prevent clumping when it's added to the preparation.

But, I'm much more likely to use a hydrocolloid blend (same technique) rather than pure xanthan—I MUCH prefer the texture!

One such blend is "Thick It Up" (Locust bean (and/or tara), guar, acacia, xanthan gums.)

After studying Jan's Restaurant Atelier Facebook and Instagram pages and some articles about Restaurant Atelier.

My guess is that the green sauces are made from various green herbs (or green herb blends) that compliment the particular dish (chive, tarragon, parsley, etc.)

HTH

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

My guess is that the green sauces are made from various green herbs that compliment the particular dish (chive, tarragon, parsley, etc.)

HTH

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

6 hours ago, Tuber magnatum said:

Different ratios for different preparations—a little does LONG way!

My guess is that the green sauces are made from various green herbs that compliment the particular dish (chive, tarragon, parsley, etc.)

HTH