• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cocoa Butter Running When Casting Shells

r176

Hi All,
I have a problem that is frustrating me.
I airbrush my tempered cocoa butter into my figure mould and leave it to set. I then cast with tempered white chocolate to create a shell. The problem is that when I pour out the excess chocolate to create my shell the chocolate is pulling the cocoa butter away from the mould and making it streaky or removing it totally.

My chocolate is tempered correctly as I use a Chocovision Delta 2 and I don't have issues casting plain chocolate moulds.

Help please
Thank you

Assuming you regularly double check your Delta 2 and are sure you were at working temp, and your room is at an acceptable temperature, then the only answer cold be what Kerry said. I suspect that possibly your cocoa butter layer was very thin and you were just above working temp and/or the room was warm enough to pull the chocolate out of temper enough to melt the cocoa butter. Regardless for cocoa butter to run something is too warm. 

• Like 1

Since you mentioned figure molding, do you use thermoform chocolate molds or the polycarbonate molds?   How thick is your cocoa butter layer?   Those figure thermoform molds are often too flexible and sometime flimsy, so if the figure is twisted, even a little bit, before or during the shelling process, it can cause cracks in the cocoa butter layer causing them to detach in small pieces from the surface.

former CacaoFlower.