• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pommes fondant

gfweb

I’ve spent the evening fooling with Pommes fondant.  Ramsay you tubes...other guys’ you tubes. Bourdain recipe. Cooked stovetop or in oven or both. With russets or Yukon gold or red potatoes. 

They all were ok not great. They look pretty but waste about 50% of a potato....Am I missing something? Just an anachronism?

Edited by gfweb (log)

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

Am I missing something? Just an anachronism?

Agree completely, they’re cute enough but wasteful and fiddly to make. Taste wise give me a decent French fry or, if we’re going classical, some dauphinois. 

• Like 1

I second that, it seems a fairly pointless preparation.  Why would you go to the trouble of getting a decent crust and then submerge it in stock?

If I want something like that, I just do pommes Anna.  Easier and more satisfying to eat.

• Like 1