• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2019

liuzhou

17 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

I cooked the last corned beef from the freezer a few nights ago, to make room for another dozen or so. Lunch today was a no brainer.

HC

IMG_0069.thumb.JPG.b46ab409c42d2bd57e2ecb9b21b49b94.JPGIMG_0072.thumb.JPG.6fc3cb5e5ac38b7b6cbe44490df9eac8.JPG

Count me on the list of people that are happy to see you!  I, too, have been missing your food!

• Like 4

Last week many places celebrated carnival. There are several snacks/light meals that are eaten during the silly partying days in Köln, Germany but I made them a bit differently.

Purple sweet potato rösti with apple mush (in Germany you get potato fritters).

hAy5xsb.jpg

Tempeh tomato paste on bread (in Germany Mett-häppchen or Tartar-häppchen. Raw mince on half a roll.)

LAVNzdk.jpg

Herring with cream and beetroot

97PDF8Z.jpg

The dough is simple: flour, ground almond, booze, eggs, baking powder etc. 

nKYjI0Z.jpg

2YDKbRZ.jpg

Berliner is a must during carnival. These are store-bought.

4be0kit.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 9

Fastnacht was the only time mom made the donuts with a coin in one. Much anticipated and enjoyed. We always had a vanilla bean in the powdered sugar shaker.

• Like 1

The best thin I have ever had for lunch. Coconut Crab with some kind of sweet curry sauce.

Found here. Chez Louis Beach Bar & Grill. pretty much a shack at Port Olry. Espititu Santo. Vanuatu.

A stunning place.

IMG_20190307_122634.thumb.jpg.b8f0c86881a581443eff0e84ed2fcf10.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

Sweet potatoes and russets in the oven finishing baking.  

I'm going to open up one of the russets and top it with Bebop Chicken Chili I made on Sunday.

The others will go toward eggy potatoes for John's breakfast.

I will scrape the sweets out and use a cup to try an interesting recipe for him for the weekend...a blueberry bar that includes the sweet potato and some chopped apple with the blueberries.

Also have to test a recipe for one of the entities I test regularly for -  a white bean soup.

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

10 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Captain

what sort of lobsters are these ?

any taste difference between the varieties ?

We call them Bugs. Also known as Slipper Lobsters and yes a different taste, more delicate and often prefered than Lobster/Crays.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Captain said:

We call them Bugs. Also known as Slipper Lobsters and yes a different taste, more delicate and often prefered than Lobster/Crays.

Like "Balmain bugs": - sweet and tender. Our local spiny lobster has a similar flavor though more firm texture  Pretty accurate Wicki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_spiny_lobster

• Like 2

Toasted wheat bagel, open face, with peanut butter and mixed berry preserves. Sometimes there is nothing better than PB&J.

• Like 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

This kind of fast food I could get used to.

20190315_131933.thumb.jpg.94318fdef65cba026fa284894b5925fc.jpg

New place. Chicken Salad Chick. A scoop of one of their dozen different chicken salads, a scoop of pimiento cheese,  crackers. Pickle spear, a couple of small cookies, broccoli salad. With a Diet Coke, it cost me $13. The CS and PC would each be enough for a BIG sandwich. I'll be back.

• Like 11

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Pretty cherry blossom bowl and as a green color person -love. We just had our Cherry Blowwom Festival - enormously popular in the Asian community Soy bean paste is underappreciated here abouts though our huge Korean influence is pulling such paste to common use.

Edited by heidih (log)

Prep for weekday lunches, extra firm tofu which I pressed for a couple of hours, brushed with hoisin thinned with a little balsamic, some powdered ginger, garlic, and black pepper mixed in. Baked for about a half hour at 400 degrees. I like my triangular soldiers!

996B8975-3BAB-4C07-AAC9-172CF81B6EDB.jpeg

Edited by BeeZee (log)
  • Like 6

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

A bunch of different leftover ingredients living happily together as dumplings.  Cole slaw was rinsed thoroughly, chopped with gyro chicken in food processor, mixed with hummus and herbs sauce.   Surprisingly delicious lunch.  Dipping sauce: soy sauce, rice vinegar, sweet chili sauce.

8791DF9E-47A1-425D-A52C-E5288B1992C8.thumb.jpeg.330071b7cbd0d32107d5b64d7b9997db.jpeg

7BE2A7CB-E884-4038-A4FC-B173A07AF501.thumb.jpeg.44a2bc603de004551b2349d0c41ff4cb.jpeg

6E1ED472-65A5-4717-B37D-F8B0901B3426.thumb.jpeg.b3edfcf3f20bbb8b91a2089ffaf0e761.jpeg

4C3303E7-A407-4EA3-9A7F-239EB4F0CAC4.thumb.jpeg.a556e2b74dfa4594189f4ed000038ae6.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, chefmd said:

A bunch of different leftover ingredients living happily together as dumplings.  Cole slaw was rinsed thoroughly, chopped with gyro chicken in food processor, mixed with hummus and herbs sauce.   Surprisingly delicious lunch.  Dipping sauce: soy sauce, rice vinegar, sweet chili sauce.

Wow!  those are some seriously international dumplings!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1