• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2019

liuzhou

Lunch today was excellent in every respect except the food.

I had arranged to meet a recent acquaintance to discuss some potential  professional cooperation. She chose the restaurant. We spent an hour talking, not so much about business, but everything else besides - language, food, Chinese politics, visiting Japan, cameras, internet issues, family ...

The place was supposedly Hong Kong food. Very little on the menu was Hong Kong cuisine, and the dishes which were recognisably HK by name were odd in execution.

I had been there several years ago and it was good. Disappointing. Also, disappointing for my friend, who had also been before and enjoyed it.

I had a bowl of wonton noodles, a Hong Hong classic. They were a disaster. Insipid soup. Three shrimp wontons (if shrimp wontons are meant to have the texture boiled golf balls - they were almost inedible). The noodles were apparently rejects from the cheapest, nastiest instant noodle brand.

Her dish was no better, but she liked the milk tea.

The meal cost ¥58 (around $8.70 USD) . Not a huge amount, but I'm sure the ingredients couldn't have cost more than about ¥3 ($0.45) . When I asked for the bill, I was curtly told to go to the cash desk at the other side of the fairly large restaurant,  while two wait staff stood nearby gossiping about other staff members, unaware that I could understand them. So wonderful service, too.

No doubt they think they will be redeemed by offering this nonsense on their menu.

758991205_lightbulbtea.thumb.jpg.c9be5da03737479c3f3c9f4c6a23cfc4.jpg
The Chinese says "Light Bulb Milk Tea"

No, we didn't order it.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

The Chinese says "Light Bulb Milk Tea"

I’m baffled. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I tried my hand at rice rolls the other day for lunch.  It's quite easy.  Mix rice and tapioca flour.  Cook in a cake pan in a big steamer. I filled these with dried shrimp and topped with sweet soy sauce.

DSC02918.thumb.jpg.e5de6365da0a5fa695bb7d2f3ad29a51.jpgDSC02921.thumb.jpg.eb807853602834f0d9a32b9caa1f99b9.jpgDSC02923.thumb.jpg.f3c90f62a495866ea0f8f33cb79eccad.jpgDSC02925.thumb.jpg.1955f63ffe6d8d063760d396fa18e994.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 4

Another lunch from last week.  Duck leg confit poutine sans cheese curds.   Air fryer fries.  And, I think there is some spinach at twelve o'clock.

DSC02917.thumb.jpg.09978bf4e54856f3ed1466a4c29da033.jpg

Edited by Okanagancook
To add my greenery for the day. (log)
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

I tried my hand at rice rolls the other day for lunch.  It's quite easy.  Mix rice and tapioca flour.  Cook in a cake pan in a big steamer. I filled these with dried shrimp and topped with sweet soy sauce.

Ja we don't give steamed food enough love & credit!

• Like 2

chicken breast (from a rotisserie) with minced apple, scallion, mayo and celery salt and chervil.  waldorf chicken salad

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

16 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Lunch today was excellent in every respect except the food.

My favorite sentence of the day. :)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 3/7/2019 at 2:49 PM, rotuts said:

@johnnyd

re: The Octopus :

then cooked how  ?

or

C(s)eviche  ?

Cast iron skillet at med-high - doesn't take long, these, maybe five minutes.  Rest five minutes and they finish quite well.  Served with avocado, scallion and grapefruit salad w/pink peppercorn.

• Like 1

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

First grilling of the year.  Sunny and warm weather in DC area.  Wild rockfish that fell apart after grilling but was very tasty.  Roasted turnips on the side.  Sauce was inspired by romanesco (garlic, peppers, chilies, bread).

16D47C2D-AB7D-4AE0-94A3-B4C0FCAC0649.thumb.jpeg.07f8b4ca089a97bc5d7616bb8fc0643e.jpeg

6E32C62E-6842-4A33-A760-474933DF7F7C.thumb.jpeg.88f2847a62dbce7dd4890ccb0e7edea7.jpeg

• Like 12

On 3/7/2019 at 2:41 PM, johnnyd said:

Baby Octopus from India marinated 3hrs in EVOO, oregano, chili flake and a pinch of salt.

I have grandkids, so when my brain encounters "baby [anything]" it automatically fills in the obligatory "doo doo doo doo doo" afterwards.

• Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Gut bomb day. A chili pie and onion rings from Sonic, with a Route 44 Diet Coke and a handful of Starburst jelly beans. 

And four Rolaids.

• Haha 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com