• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2019

liuzhou

3 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Besides, no one else can make lemon curd like hers!  

Have you ever shared that particular recipe? If not, would you / could you? I have loved lemon curd since my summer in York, but never been satisfied with my attempts.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

2 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Have you ever shared that particular recipe? If not, would you / could you? I have loved lemon curd since my summer in York, but never been satisfied with my attempts.

I would share it in a minute, but I've never managed to get it from her.  I am 100% sure that it is not about keeping a secret, because she isn't like that at all.  She even gave me one of her two very, very shallow tart pans so I could make mince tarts - she gave it to ME, not one of her three daughters!  LOL.  But, she is a very disorganized and messy and I only think of asking at Christmas when she brings jars to my house and I think she just forgets and so do I.

This is the one that I use.  It isn't hers, but it is very good.  And I love that it only uses yolks - lemon curd goes so well angel food cake! 😉

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Congrats!   You're on the right track.   It's never a diet but THE diet, i.e., lifestyle.    Well done, and carry on.

Yes, definitely a lifestyle change. I thought I had one also before 😂 but stopped working. Life is an evolution, this is a simpler me. 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

@robirdstx I have great fondness for The Owl. Were you birding in the Bosque del Apache?

Yes, my sister and I birded there both days. Love all the sandhills, geese and ducks. We also saw a flock of more than 50 wild turkey.

Little tapas at Mi Casita.

GtjtnJc.jpg

Rendered Iberico fat with greaves.

dVBWG6y.jpg

In Spain you get bits of Jamon in this tapa dish. That's how they use the very last bits of the Jamon leg, in soups and other dishes.

4fcjMWP.jpg

Sourdough rye toast and 2 last Spanish tomatoes grated for pan con tomate.

n1dM2TT.jpg

Last day in Aracena. Cheese tasting at a cheese shop, also owned by the cheesemaker herself. All cheeses come from here in the Sierra.

T9LDKpx.jpg

Lunch restaurant is near the bus station (off to Sevilla shortly). We ate here only the other day. They do eat green tomatoes. This small plate was brought to us as soon as we ordered the beer.

oGZhJGZ.jpg

Top notch Jamon again, of course.

3pdr3SI.jpg

A piece of crispy fried Iberico fat on top of the meat. The same fat I used to make Schmalz in photo above.

et76Sug.jpg

Looks like beef but tastes like 100% Iberico acorn-fed pork.

lshIjqH.jpg

On 10/28/2019 at 9:43 PM, Paul Bacino said:

@BonVivant--  That all looks awesome

Thanks, Paul. Spain is currently the second most visited country in.the.world. Not only that, Spain also overtakes France in gastro tourism!

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 1

A late lunch/early dinner for my husband and I while we wait for our flight home at the airport in El Paso, TX.

5EE29956-10C2-45C8-89C2-5D489833711A.thumb.jpeg.91ec99a463a31630241df1f49536f29e.jpeg

Grilled Chicken Quesadilla for me and a Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad for him.

C1BA9878-ED44-4BEE-9FB3-A8CAAAAC9EEF.thumb.jpeg.bb8f014bceef41d0556d59a33d4d176d.jpeg

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Decided to try something we've never tried from our Indian cookbook I've posted pictures from many times.

It's supposed to be a boondi curry. But we don't have a  boondi jahara - so we used a spoon w/ holes from a spherification kit.  Alas the boondi are not spheres, but they still taste good.  It's fried chickpea batter.

The sauce is tomato, onion (minced and sliced), turmeric (of course - look at the color), cumin, cilantro, yogurt, and cayenne.

We didn't put the boondi in the sauce until it was at the table,  wanted to make sure they were as crisp as possible.  This took a while to make but was really quite tasty.

20191101_181815.thumb.jpg.fbe8a39c27f7712b2e98f91f830eeccd.jpg

Keeps on with the Indian cuisine can look strange vibe 😉

Edited by Raamo (log)
  • Like 2
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 3

Dinner out at a favorite neighborhood joint the other night was chili dogs and club sandwiches.  I can never finish a club sandwich, so I bring it home and re-purpose it into a salad or another sandwich.  Today was sandwich.  If you are offended for some bizarre reason by the combination of house roasted turkey and lovely house carved ham, please avoid looking😁:

DSCN0277.JPG.7a94b793927bc36c72d53dc1268d84f9.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 1

Piece of honey corn bread  that had minced Hatch chiles and shredded cheddar mixed in.  Heated then spread with salted butter and topped with some TJ's sweet and spicy chili jam.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

2 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Dinner out at a favorite neighborhood joint the other night was chili dogs and club sandwiches.  I can never finish a club sandwich, so I bring it home and re-purpose it into a salad or another sandwich.  Today was sandwich.  If you are offended for some bizarre reason by the combination of house roasted turkey and lovely house carved ham, please avoid looking😁:

DSCN0277.JPG.7a94b793927bc36c72d53dc1268d84f9.JPG

Ohhhhhh why do I read here when I can't eat.  I WANT this sandwich right now!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

How come you can't eat?  ☹️

Still drooling.....

Ugh, 4 hours of dental/periodontal surgery on Tuesday.  I look like someone hit me with a baseball bat on the left side of my face 😂

I'm making beans, rice and some kind of enchilada something for dinner, though.  I'm so hungry.  I'll chew little tiny bites, I swear :) 

• Sad 7

39 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Still drooling.....

Ugh, 4 hours of dental/periodontal surgery on Tuesday.  I look like someone hit me with a baseball bat on the left side of my face 😂

I'm making beans, rice and some kind of enchilada something for dinner, though.  I'm so hungry.  I'll chew little tiny bites, I swear :) 

Oh, dear!  I'm so sorry and I sympathize completely.  I hate all things dental.  I'd honestly rather have another gastric bypass or hysterectomy than dental/periodontal surgery.  Let Ronnie spoil you and eat what you can.  Hugs!  When I'm recovering from something and can't eat, I always make grandiose plans of what I plan to cook when I'm recovered.  Maybe that will help.  

• Thanks 1