• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2019

liuzhou

@BonVivant

I always enjoy your posts.

Im very  pleased you posted your studies

of (E)Spanish top of the line cured Hams and tomatoes

and  you got to meet such fine people

in their Kitchens.

its going to drive me to Drink !

but in a different way than tomorrow's  NYT and WSJ

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

5J is one of the few brands of Iberico Jamon that is allowed to be imported into the US... I think it's just 5J and Fermin.  I've bought the 5J here before and have been underwhelmed compared to what I have had in Spain.  It seemed like mass production jamon (if there can be such a thing) compared with the small artisanal producers that don't make enough to export.

• Like 2

We got the butcher to hack a duck in half for us for another day (head and feet included - It was a Viet store.  The food was excellent and Kym also brought me a jar of her excellent nuoc mam  

IMG_1079.JPG

IMG_1080.JPG

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

Duck soup.

Shredded duck breast meat, white onion, garlic, carrot, chilli,  white button mushrooms, coriander/cilantro and Chinese chives in a duck stock I made yesterday from the remains of a leg which I stripped the meat from to make duckburgers.

20191022_140345.thumb.jpg.09de91a6b66a0561eb1d1952391a9f91.jpg

20191022_140423.thumb.jpg.9c9111106f1041bb2883096cb680d2ed.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

5 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Duck soup.

Duck, white onion, garlic, carrot, chilli, shredded duck breast meat,  white button mushrooms, coriander/cilantro and Chinese chives in a duck stock I made yesterday from the remains of a leg which I stripped the meat from to make duckburgers.

20191022_140345.thumb.jpg.09de91a6b66a0561eb1d1952391a9f91.jpg

20191022_140423.thumb.jpg.9c9111106f1041bb2883096cb680d2ed.jpg

Delicious.  The dish deserves high marx.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

5 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Delicious.  The dish deserves high marx.

You beat me to it.

I was going to say that it would be good after a night at the opera

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

607EA680-CDBE-4843-BA5E-1BB956B0E55E.thumb.jpeg.40a19af01ced2767a9318f7990e7789b.jpeg

Not the oddest meal I have ever made or displayed. Lightly sautéed frozen broccoli, Blue cheese and cheddar cheese in a wrap with salsa. In my mind they were quesadillas but I think that’s probably stretching that word a bit too far. I really wanted some sour cream here. I am more than happy to eat blue cheese but I draw the line at pink sour cream.  Guess it had missed its best by date by many days? weeks? months?  

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 10/22/2019 at 8:39 AM, gfweb said:

You beat me to it.

I was going to say that it would be good after a night at the opera

...or a day at the races.

(To risk the proverbial "flogging a dead horse"...)

• Haha 6

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Today was a late lunch...  

743744558_paprikepunjeneskrumpirom2.thumb.jpg.77c86781503b05981e9d1b67f79d91d1.jpg

Oven roasted potato stuffed peppers sounds quite unremarkable, but I was astounded how good it tastes. :$ There are several ways of preparing this dish, so I decided not to trouble myself too much with recipes I've seen and did my 'own thing', and I'm happy to say that it's the first dish I've prepared that I decided how it should taste (the filling, the potatoes baked in pepper juices, &c), instead of "I'll do this and that, and see how it turns out", or following a recipe... And I came quite close to what I had in mind- not better or worse, just a shade differently. :D But, I can say that two humble stars of the dish- peppers and potato* did shine in unexplicably tasty way.

* I relied not so much on potato, but on potato-peppercorn combination to boost the flavour 

• Like 3
  • Delicious 2

A cigarette is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?  - Oscar Wilde

Peposo with mashed potatoes (which were so creamy by themselves that no butter or cream needed to be added, just a bit of salt)

2087812722_peposotnjr.thumb.jpg.fcabfc25df419541140c652cd2f61d75.jpg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 2

A cigarette is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?  - Oscar Wilde

26 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Pork and shiitake jiaozi. Chopped chilli dip.

jiaozi1.thumb.jpg.ba051862cca3780886f1c6afdcf3a117.jpg

jiaozi2.thumb.jpg.6228cec3586cc1928af10ee787ce83ef.jpg

Breakfast of Champions!  Love dumplings.  Those looks delicious.  We just made a batch of pork/cabbage dumplings.  They freeze well and can be on the plate in a jiffy.  Nice portion size you have there.😍

• Like 1

I brought Spain home with me.

Phc1d6e.jpg

Grated Raf tomatoes for the toast. Unfiltered olive oil also brought back from Spain.

wLWcNBg.jpg

We each carried 3 kilos of tomatoes in our carry-on. Only a few got bruised. Have been eating tomatoes and unfiltered olive oil every day since I got home.

cfv4Duv.jpg

Rosa de la Reina is grown in the Sierra, where I stayed during my hiking holiday. The tomatoes on this plate weigh 3kg. They are very dense and heavy.

E43a2An.jpg

Lunch in Aracena. Nice cider from Asturia, good sourdough bread, and a small plate of Rosa tomatoes was brought to us shortly after we sat down.

fIA1P6H.jpg

Freshly cooked chips. On to second bottle of cider by now.

0WqDMrQ.jpg

Ripe and juicy Rosa.

Xy4oDlK.jpg

Just like most villages in the Sierra, Aracena is known for Jamon.

l4Ylymz.jpg

Black label, 100% Iberico de Bellota.

sSumGjW.jpg

Last Pluma here. It's not a common Iberico cut 1.5hrs away in big city Sevilla.

LrgxYxV.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 3

Copycat Bang Bang Shrimp for lunch one day last week (I’ve gotten really into these things – find myself thinking about them a lot):

DSCN0203.JPG.0d0f6ba0e14bc542b257d963f04c9f23.JPG

My father’s twin brother and my first stepmom (I have another one now) came down from Northern VA to visit my mom and me (my family is a little different in how we observe divorce – once you get divorced, you can be friends because you don’t have to live with their BS anymore😄).  Momma is in a nursing home, so I put together a lunch for us to take – sandwiches, chips, fruit salad, and purchased cupcakes.  Ham and Havarti on rye:

DSCN0207.JPG.6fdae404f59c995e445243e69c040d66.JPG

I whined on Facebook about choosing seedless rye because that’s what my mom prefers and she ended up not eating any of this sandwich.  Now I have a whole loaf of seedless and soulless rye to eat.

Chicken-pineapple salad on brioche:

DSCN0208.JPG.216a220611f13e881af774e4d98f5e45.JPG

This was a Jason’s Deli/grocery store hybrid salad.  The Jason’s was too sweet with the pineapple and the grocery store one too bland.  They were great together.

Egg salad on brioche:

DSCN0209.JPG.55d3d680ce671cb1c1e11a02a76d58e7.JPG

DSCN0206.JPG.5ed5faf67d0d296282d42c997c2c5f50.JPG

Sunday brunch at one of our regular places.  You can get breakfast, deli, burgers, etc.  I got breakfast and Mr. Kim got a burger - all good and nothing out of the ordinary except that this happened:

brunch2.jpg.9d85ff67713958ef944404dda9ffcbdd.jpg

That is a little piece of green pepper that was actually cooked into my pancake.  LOL.  I was horrified and appalled and took this picture just to show to @rotuts!

Looking at today’s lunch makes my skin crawl, but it tasted pretty good:

DSCN0221.JPG.a2daaa686564e6d8fb9a8d2fca6bceea.JPG

Cheese toast – Havarti on rye. 

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

....my first stepmom (I have another one now) came down from Northern VA to visit my mom and me (my family is a little different in how we observe divorce – once you get divorced, you can be friends...

Taste of home.   My mother had two families, and several of her children divorced and remarried.   Our family get-togethers are totally unfathomable for most people.    Multi-exes and nothing but good will.

• Like 3

eGullet member #80.

I'm still on good terms with my ex and her family, too. My mom was out in Alberta last month and stayed with my ex and her BF.

Today would have been our 30th wedding anniversary, come to think of it.

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I wish I'd taken a picture of my MIL's face when she realized that the lady she didn't recognize at our Christmas Eve celebration was my stepdad's ex-wife.  Jessica always called her "Nanny" becuase that is what her cousins called the lady.  She is considered family and comes to all the gatherings.  Besides, no one else can make lemon curd like hers!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1