• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2019

liuzhou

1 hour ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Offending Australians Everyday. Failed my Citizenship before I took it 😂

20191016_122551.thumb.jpg.d808b0782223ffd41a33912407272bf2.jpg

Ps. I want extra credit for taking the photo with a Courgette! -zoom- 

I can see the reflection on the spoon! lol speaking of which...

• Like 1

My weird lunch:

DSCN0187.JPG.2010fcc40533e75d9a4cdbb667ab228e.JPG

I just opened every restaurant leftover container in the refrigerator and heated the contents up in the CSO.  From 12 o'clock a bacon cheeseburger, fries with turkey gravy, and part of an open faced turkey sandwich.  Not pictured are the tots that needed a few more minutes. 😄

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

8 hours ago, rotuts said:

@CantCookStillTry

the courgette i get

but not the rest

:wacko:

A meat pie is to be eaten at the 'footy'. Its always way too hot, its held in one hand (there is a beer in the other). The meat/gravy should overflow at each bite and will usually burn your lips/jaw before it drips down on your T-shirt, the overflow of course drips on your hand first and you have to put up with the burn or drop the pie (its not a good look - manhood would be questioned by your mates)

It has tomato sauce on the top (too much) that also drips down but only if you are wearing a white T-shirt.😁

It is NEVER to be eaten with tools!

That pie has suspiciously lot of meat. There are regulations about the ratio of meat,gravy, pastry. A mate of mine who ran a bakery got fined for having too much meat🙄

A report several years ago on massed produced pies found the meat to be of very dubious origins. One manufacture was using imported meat that included camel testicles. (they did DNA test!).

• Like 2
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1

Be kind first.

Be nice.

(If you don't know the difference then you need to do some research)

11 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Offending Australians Everyday

Hand in your card...😀

19 minutes ago, Bernie said:

found the meat to be of very dubious origins.

Yep. We use to call them Rats Coffins.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

5 hours ago, gfweb said:

Heresy!

Well as a US person let me throw out our classic - tuna noodle casserole - cheese generally involved ')

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, heidih said:

Well as a US person let me throw out our classic - tuna noodle casserole - cheese generally involved ')

It’s pretty horrible, isn’t it ?

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Haha 4

51 minutes ago, gfweb said:

It’s pretty horrible, isn’t it ?

Kinda 'comfort food"  Like I do NOT get poutine...https://www.google.com/search?q=comfort+food+definition&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS755US755&oq=comfort+food+definition&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.8456j1j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• Like 2

I dont recall the tuna noodle casserole i and growing up at home

from scratch in those days , of course

had cheese in it.

it did have a potato chip crust !

but , of course , back then

I wasn't yet the bonVivant , and Gourmet I am today.

• Like 2

I now try my best to go to Thai Noodle once a week

and get two duck dishes 

772298101_Th1.thumb.jpg.87c7383bda2c1759951034d5f4971c88.jpg

L  my favorite , duck // broad rice noodles // green peppercorn and thai basil

they will make their various curries w rice noodles , rather than rice .

R  Duck Panang Curry.   I forgot to mention to put the curry on top of the noodles , as rice noodles can gum hip a bit

mixed it up at home and it came out fine.

Tb2.thumb.jpg.7ffe730b83647671aa658f6c1a6fbf62.jpg

I now carefully remove the green peppercorns from the stalk and distribute through out the dish.  they gave me a lot of duck

and it was delicious.

I hope that if you like Thai , there is a place near you that tastes as good as this.

Not Pictures :  two Hoponius Union Beers , one at a time , icy cold.

hard to get better than this in my area.

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

Today for lunch was awesome and new.  Tarts!  Savory was represented by Ricotta cheese, zucchini, tomato, with garlic and olive oil:

20191019_125747.thumb.jpg.495332731e5e907cd1e537fe3e51f717.jpg

Desert was a honeycrisp apples with cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar:  Not overly sweet, just GOOD!

20191019_131512.thumb.jpg.29ef2ece4257c0d31b8895bb494e2e70.jpg

I told my wife we could do these again :)  She found the recipe for the savory  in ATK's recipes for 2; winged the apple tart, I provided knife skills.

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

Pizza with Naples dough @ 70% hydration from Mastering Pizza and topping from the Pizza Bianca with potato, anchovy and sage in Ottolenghi's Simple.  

Also known by me as chip & dip pizza as the topping starts with a layer of mascarpone mixed with pecorino Romano, anchovy, sage and lemon zest. 

IMG_1440.thumb.jpeg.7af35492ada2e95b5894b4bd423e085e.jpeg

That's not pepperoni.  I used a mix of red, yellow and purple potatoes. 

IMG_1441.thumb.jpeg.7b368a7e27142b4e916d75fab6126d29.jpeg

Edited by blue_dolphin
to fix spelling (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 2

Lunch with a friend and her daughter in a local "western" restaurant. I'm not sure west of where, though. This I wish to point out was not my choice, but the 9-year-old daughter's.

Beef kebabs with fries. Beef was OK, but could have been rarer. Fries were oversalted.

1576409724_20191020_1242561.thumb.jpg.5d58f2e3ce8ec64a9a2d239ec7d1cb19.jpg

Apologies for picture quality.

2025492594_20191020_1246331.thumb.jpg.edf7f21c29a9a82b03865277cf582b6a.jpg

Beef pizza. Edible but not what I call a pizza. The base was crisp, but not in a good way and the sqiggles of brown gunk unnecessary.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

36 minutes ago, shain said:

A take on eggplant parmesan. Eggplant slices layered with ricotta, kashkaval and roquefort; flavored with with nutmeg and pepper.

Sauce of beetroot, light cream, thyme.

IMG_20191008_155845.jpg

Fantastic idea ... and great presentation. Thanks, @shain

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shain said:

A take on eggplant parmesan. Eggplant slices layered with ricotta, kashkaval and roquefort; flavored with with nutmeg and pepper.

Sauce of beetroot, light cream, thyme.

IMG_20191008_155845.jpg

The eggplants I bought last week were giving me the evil eye - will riff on this. Thanks 

• Like 1

From before the holidays. Potato dumplings with Sauerkraut and crispy fried Speck.

8basnHH.jpg

Y5mhTwX.jpg

Big and rich lunch in Aracena. Top notch jamon and good tomatoes.

OjJkBz4.jpg

A piece of Iberico loin and 3 ribs.

Zx39AHs.jpg

Trotters

uU1AqMY.jpg

Good restaurants usually have a bunch of olive oils for you to try. Spaniards eat a lot of things with the oil. Well, they have got a match.

i5TCPh4.jpg

Cinco Jotas is the most famous jamon producer in Jabugo. "5J" means top notch jamon. "J" stands for Jabugo.

wsTV2lm.jpg

Jose Vincente, the cook and owner, showed me around the kitchen and posed for me. We had a long chat after lunch, his son being our translator. He does all the cooking and is the only one in the kitchen doing everything. He asked if I liked the tomatoes. Of course I did. Said he used good tomatoes, even skinned them. He uses only good stuff. Meat, jamones, oils etc. His restaurant is well-known in Aracena, long before the tourists found out about it.

4XMr7mi.jpg

Proud cook and his sons.

fQqopLC.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Delicious 1