• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2019

liuzhou

1 hour ago, heidih said:

@Franci  I must have missed it - what is the very green item?

@heidih I took inspiration from Shain here , it’s a kuku, a Persian frittata but less eggs, only to bind vegetables together. I used herbs I had in the house: dill, parsley, watercress, some scallions, a little bit of rucola and spinach salad, very little coriander because I didn’t have. I added some broken walnuts and cranberries because I didn’t have zereshk (btw love them!). I think this is not everybody taste, I like it! Don’t think the rest of my family will, so I am keeping it for me 😁. Also, it’s very time consuming to clean all the herbs and came only with 8 muffin with my quantity. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Franci said:

I discovered I really like to eat my frittata as bread (it’s really one egg and all egg white).

So am I understanding this correctly because if so it’s genius. You are making a frittata and then using it like a flat bread and piling stuff on top?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

So am I understanding this correctly because if so it’s genius. You are making a frittata and then using it like a flat bread and piling stuff on top?

Yes, exactly!!! This frittata is quite thin (my husband ruined my egg pan🤬) so I’ve been using a larger blue steel pan. 100-120 egg whites and 1 egg, I love it! 

• Thanks 1

Lunch at the most visited restaurant in the village. Well-deserved popularity!

TgNvxSZ.jpg

The 3 things I always try to eat more of in Spain are olives/oils, tomatoes and ham. There are more domestic tourists than foreign ones so if you run a good restaurant you'd better use the best (or at least very good) quality of those 3 ingredients as Spaniards are particular about them.

4uTpUzJ.jpg

Another reason people come to Padrino for is his Jamón Ibérico. In this ham-producing area it's common some bars and restaurants have their own pigs.

jkXzKxV.jpg

Chard stuffed with Ibérico pork mince

WWBYwtw.jpg

LfupihA.jpg

Shoulder steak

uno0ecs.jpg

There's a reason people from Sevilla and other parts of Spain come to Sierra de Aracena area especially for the hams and fresh Ibérico pork. How juicy and succulent it is.

zRo3ZwZ.jpg

Flan of pine nuts. One of the most common trees in the area.

HD9dCDP.jpg

They have fresh wild mushrooms now. I missed them on the way in.

lIPYO7t.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 1

Ive gone back  to my ThaiNoodle p[lace several times :

https://www.ricenoodlethaieatery.com

they seem to be doing well :   they have updated their take-out menu's

into full color ,a nd not raised their prices non portions

they now have a nice sit-down menu , ditto above;

I always get the Duck / broad rice noodles / green pepper corn and lime leaves

I dissect out the peppercorn clumps into individual PC's , one is nice / bite

2 even better .  3 a bit Alarming.2072925067_ThaiNDuck.thumb.jpg.b1f5ce129d69b135bc5b570d5b819a5d.jpg

ChooChee on the R.  lots of Duck !  I think they roasted the Duck a bit too long

a first .  but it looks like they will not be going away soon

BTW :  they put the Duck ChooChee Curry on rice noodles for me , rather than a side of rice

Ive become addicted to rice noodles , as much as I like , and can iPot Basmati rice.

note the greenpeppercon custer on the L  . three similar cluster on this dish this time.

what could be better than that ?

as its quite the trip for me

Today , 12 minutes !

I always consider ordering a new dish , 

shy not ?  more for Breakfast !

I got the Duck Choo Chee.  Ive had this before , but forgotten the tastes

Duck of course !  it was delicious.

• Like 5

Lunch at one of the village's watering holes. Bar Roman has their own pigs and the food is fine for a typical local bar. It's dingy and empty inside but there are no smokers.

lxXOch3.jpg

Ham from own pigs

KrOIKED.jpg

sutPGBQ.jpg

Veg stew. A typical tapas dish in this area.

bfeFSiQ.jpg

Ibérico pork meatballs

jFyPnGc.jpg

I'm in Sevilla now and missing the low price in the Sierra. Price-quality-service-portion size ratio is far better in rural Spain.

xzMfhlQ.jpg

• Like 11

26DF48D2-189A-42C5-8503-BB4DFC3CC730.thumb.jpeg.6d2f1fbe809e7d8f9b1b3e12fcb550d4.jpeg

Lunch today at a Raptor ID Workshop at the Gulf Coast Bird Observatory in Lake Jackson ~ The Cuban (roasted pork loin, smoked ham, pickles, spicy mustard and Swiss cheese on toasted Cuban bread) with Lay’s BBQ Potato Chips provided by The Local (Kitchen - Market - Bakery)

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 8

Filo burekas.

One with spinach and cheeses (feta, Kashkaval, ricotta).

The other with eggplant, cheeses and toasted seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, sesame, nigella).

The usual salad with tahini sauce.

IMG_20190930_212014.jpg

IMG_20190930_213331.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 3

~ Shai N.

19 hours ago, BonVivant said:

I'm in Sevilla now and missing the low price in the Sierra. Price-quality-service-portion size ratio is far better in rural Spain.

xzMfhlQ.jpg

They really charge 6 Euro for the tomato ?!

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

They really charge 6 Euro for the tomato ?!

Yes, 6 euros is standard price for tomate aliñado in the Sierra, it can be up to 8.50 but the tomatoes and olive oil they use are both of good quality. Here in Sevilla it's rare to see tomate aliñado on the menu, and when you do the tomatoes are so-so. After 10 days in the Sierra eating the best Jamón and the best Ibérico pork Sevilla is a big disappointment. No wonder Sevillanas come to the Sierra in droves at weekends to enjoy Ibérico goodness.

If anyone is coming this way please do yourself a big favour and drive right through Sevilla, don't stop until you see any village in the Sierra de la Aracena. You will enjoy the best pork, tomatoes and olive oils! Saying this because I deeply regret not staying in the Sierra the whole time. I should have come to Sevilla the night before flying out.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, shain said:

Filo burekas.

One with spinach and cheeses (feta, Kashkaval, ricotta).

The other with eggplant, cheeses and toasted seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, sesame, nigella).

The usual salad with tahini sauce.

IMG_20190930_212014.jpg

IMG_20190930_213331.jpg

Accidentally bought 4 versus 2 boxes of phyllo - SO this tempts

• Like 2

@BonVivant– Mr. Kim and I are dying daily over the jamon.  Thank you for sharing your trip with all of us!

@shain – your burekas are beautiful – the filling looks perfect and the browning on your filo is really nice. 

For lunch on Saturday, Jessica made her deviled eggs (hers are SO good) and we heated up some leftover ham and cheese biscuits:

DSCN0177.JPG.4da1601ce3d54fbb217ce7b4cd1c6018.JPG

After church lunch at a local favorite - Satterwhite’s:

bfast2.thumb.jpg.2e81c83dc8f2bbc665fc2db7dce9a211.jpg

Open-faced turkey sandwich with fries and green beans.  Barely visible in the back is Mr. Kim’s grilled ham and cheese sub with jalapenos and fries.  This is one of the few places left that I know of that serves open-faced roast beef, turkey, or meatloaf sandwiches. 

Lunch today was a couple of favorites off Wegman’s food bar:

DSCN0179.JPG.a19987ddb51b0901fbdb31f864ef3911.JPG

Capellini, tomato, and mozzarella salad and arancini. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

18 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Mr. Kim and I are dying daily over the jamon.

Each pig requires space the size of a football field. The terrain is vast and hilly, this is one of the reasons Iberian pork is so rich and flavourful. The pigs have the space and the hills to forage for acorns (and other edible things) in their 2 good years of life. The farm must have minimum 80% of acorn producing trees (specific types of oak). Rigorous quality control, strict regulations and craftsmanship. The taste is the proof.

There are 4 Iberian ham producing areas in Spain with DOP, and Jabugo is the best. When you buy the ham, the good stuff is most probably from Jabugo, and the price really does reflect the quality.

The terrain is so vast, if you are lucky they are near the fence. They saw that I had acorns... the whole family came to the fence.

P8z0Nwn.jpg

Next time you go to a restaurant and order "Iberian ham", ask what colour tag the leg has. For example, black tag is 100% Iberico. The tag should be attached to the ankle. This explains the classification of Iberian products.

OuXpsDm.jpg

100% Iberico de bellota (acorn fed). The tag should not be removed as it's meant for identification.

jLWz3Rx.jpg

More ham and tomatoes. My last lunch in Alajar village before moving on to Aracena, a sierra town famous for the ham and an incredible cave.4ox3NFu.jpg

1ElTDEQ.jpg

Lizard cut

6zj47VE.jpg

And more tomatoes doused with powerful, peppery olive oil.

j2bLT3U.jpg

oj57Hcu.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

Marcella Hazan's Fettuccine col Sugo di Tonno con Aglio e Panna, a recipe from Marcella's Italian Kitchen that was recently featured on Food52

IMG_1422.thumb.jpeg.bf808a496374703b3a3a28b488512578.jpeg

While the Food52 version calls for dried pasta, they note that Marcella called for homemade fettuccine and I just happened to have a disk of Whole Egg, Bread Flour and Stone Ground Wheat Dough from Marc Vetri's Mastering Pasta so that's what I used. 

So easy, so good.  I ate way more of this than I should have.  

• Like 6

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Marcella Hazan's Fettuccine col Sugo di Tonno con Aglio e Panna, a recipe from Marcella's Italian Kitchen that was recently featured on Food52

IMG_1422.thumb.jpeg.bf808a496374703b3a3a28b488512578.jpeg

While the Food52 version calls for dried pasta, they note that Marcella called for homemade fettuccine and I just happened to have a disk of Whole Egg, Bread Flour and Stone Ground Wheat Dough from Marc Vetri's Mastering Pasta so that's what I used. 

So easy, so good.  I ate way more of this than I should have.  

Tuna and cheese together.  Interesting.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou