• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2019

liuzhou

20 hours ago, Smithy said:

Do you mean you didn't care for the flavor, or you didn't see the point of using Marmite to get that flavor? It looks good!

I don't believe the marmite did much for the dish I guess. We're talking like 1/4 teaspoon melted into butter, it barely darkened it. The smell of warm marmite is delicious and strong but taste wise it wasn't really identifiable. The pasta was yum... but no different to the usual yumminess of a simple butter & parmesan pasta. IMO.

• Like 4

Zola Al Taglio: Speck, Belgian Endive, Apples and Gorgonzola on the Al Taglio Dough at 80% Hydration from Marc Vetri's Mastering Pizza

IMG_1859.thumb.jpg.2bc0faca293dc39c2e54169a2bf00e52.jpg

Loved the combination of textures and flavors in the topping but the slices of speck tended to drag the apples and Gorgonzola into my lap.  

The Belgian endive was thinly sliced, dressed with oil, vinegar, a little honey, S&P and layered on the dough before baking

IMG_1852.thumb.jpg.8d55c53e16c6ea45ac75daeb39f05d7b.jpg

After baking:

IMG_1853.thumb.jpg.fa555952a4fce2816ba840a993d236d3.jpg

Underside of crust:

IMG_1856.thumb.jpg.bc9a0d2b4e7eb90620996fda37d620a5.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4

4 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

The Belgian endive was thinly sliced, dressed with oil, vinegar, a little honey, S&P and layered on the dough before baking

IMG_1852.thumb.jpg.8d55c53e16c6ea45ac75daeb39f05d7b.jpg

Underside of crust:

IMG_1856.thumb.jpg.bc9a0d2b4e7eb90620996fda37d620a5.jpg

That looks fantastic. The dough rises overnight on the (oiled) baking tray ?

4 minutes ago, Duvel said:

That looks fantastic. The dough rises overnight on the (oiled) baking tray ?

Thanks!

Per the book, this dough gets a series of turns and folds and rests over the course of ~ 2 hrs at RT, then goes into the fridge O/N in the same bowl it was mixed in.   After an hour or so to warm up, it's shaped gently and placed into the oiled baking sheet with no additional proofing time specified.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Franci said:

today salad is pretty good.

Pretty good? It looks amazing to me. Did you cook the octopus yourself? I ask because there is a Korean grocery store here where you can actually buy already cooked octopus. It always looks so good and I’m tempted but it’s not cheap. Also are those roasted tomatoes that I am seeing?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Pretty good? It looks amazing to me. Did you cook the octopus yourself? I ask because there is a Korean grocery store here where you can actually buy already cooked octopus. It always looks so good and I’m tempted but it’s not cheap. Also are those roasted tomatoes that I am seeing?

Yes, I cooked the octopus in the pressure cooker. 2 pounds octopus, 15 minutes, natural release. Sometimes it will depend from the octopus. One time, it was mushy same weight, same time, another time too crunchy. This time, perfect texture too me. Now octopus  it’s a little cheaper, it got crazy expensive last year. It’s $12.99 a pound at Whole Foods here. So a medium octopus is about $25. Once cooked and cleaned,  I measured and it was almost 400g. So I would say 4 stingy portion, 3 better. And yes, they are roasted tomatoes that nobody wanted to eat anymore because too soft that got converted in roasted tomatoes. 

BTW. If you are interested in SV octopus, I remember I tried this guy many many years ago. I would say perfect. I should do it again, so to freeze a couple tentacles at the time to put on the cast iron grill. Thinking of what they charge in restaurants for this. The very fancy place under my house will charge I think $28 for badly burned octopus 😐

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Did a 27km/16mi hike to Jabugo and back.

The moment I reached the border of Jabugo village.

72ZFZCs.jpg

Many years ago it was in Portugal where I had my first taste of exquisite Jamón Ibérico de Jabugo. I looked it up and thought "one day". And here I am making my Jamón dream come true.

YYpFpe9.jpg

What to eat in one of villages famous for the hams in all of Spain?

H5tCsXz.jpg

Ham is in many things. This is chips with soft egg topped with ham.

J4wqeeS.jpg

Presa is a shoulder cut. Juicy and succulent.

BtnyW9J.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 1

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

What happened to your CSO?

I sold it when we moved. But honestly I had a problem with my CSO, it broke and they replace it but it never worked as at the beginning. But I am so tempted now to buy it again although I have NO space for it. 

@BonVivant wonderful. I always joke with my husband to go to pilgrimage to Jabugo. But soon or later...

• Like 3

The other half of the dough from this pizza became the Zucca Al Taglio: Butternut Squash with Crispy Sage and Taleggio from Vetri's Mastering Pizza.  I'd happily eat my shoe if you served it covered in melty Taleggio but I thought this was a winner.  

IMG_1375.thumb.jpg.7498d341857e85a7676bf2e4ce9617bd.jpg

As I did the other day, I worked with half the batch of dough and a quarter sheet pan and since this is the same batch of dough, it got an extra day of rest in the fridge but seemed none the worse for that. Love the crunch and chew of this crust!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Snacking in Heidelberg, inbetween shopping for clothes and other necessities ...

“Vetter’s brewery”

A3BAAE84-D331-45D8-AF8C-B0C895CE7BD5.thumb.jpeg.9f7663d2b111ec3f3f9e3baeabb6c652.jpeg

Märzen beer (yes, it’s Oktoberfest time ...)

BD46BF7A-AF09-49AE-A2F1-705906024F59.thumb.jpeg.760fa9d0bf0bace5502a85a0da916a31.jpeg

Cordon bleu - a Schnitzel filled with ham & cheese

E4DE5CC5-2BFE-48BB-9C52-E1B462D2A582.thumb.jpeg.0063442614e93057b4733ac5c7e0120c.jpeg

Bridge and panorama of Heidelberg Castle ...

CF000EC4-5610-40A1-BF7D-EA0894BE85B5.thumb.jpeg.75f7630e11b5e7e7ab26c9b710f48c35.jpeg

E14FA672-4D57-41E7-8FFD-A30882B3163D.thumb.jpeg.3ca5fc0af426375fb0b5cb4bbc797005.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

90AE6E71-2E38-459E-8F40-8DADDE7D88F6.jpeg.61154d1e6dc06e03f781b0983661a63a.jpeg

Store-bought garlic naan with grated cheddar and Parmesan and lots of Timur pepper. Served on my finest dinnerware. Some might call this lazy but it’s really just energy conservation and aren’t we all being urged to conserve? Yeah... about the dinnerware… oh well. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Lunch in pretty Linares, population around 300. There are 3 places to eat and this was the first one I saw as I was emerging from the hiking trail.

h3q9RXr.jpg

Cold potatoes marinated in stock (I think).

21FVISy.jpg

Pink tomatoes are common in the area.

J6YnLVL.jpg

lhJuRbO.jpg

AzWx8RL.jpg

Minced pluma with mushrooms. Pluma is very high in fat, the Wagyu of pork, the most prized cut.

aCtYpzz.jpg

What are the typical Iberian pork cuts? see one and two.

Lunch break in another village, Fuenteheridos.

The people living in this part of Spain are so proud of their pigs and hams. And I came here especially to eat them. The same plate costs 10 euros more in a bigger town 30 minutes from here. 

iabmRbn.jpg

Can't get enough of tomatoes and olive oil.

Sbbnal0.jpg

Something different for a change. An Andalucian classic: spinach and chickpeas.

IZJewwr.jpg

"Secreto" is a succulent cut of pork.

YqVZH8K.jpg

@Franci

kst3y4j.jpg

In Jabugo they live and breathe jamon. The village main square is called "ham".

scIl7Bo.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

34 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

@Anna N - what is “timer pepper”?  I googled but only got Szechuan pepper.

Here you go.

• Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Lunch break on a hike to Aracena. Coming from a village of 700 inhabitans to a town of 8000 almost did my head in. Having not seen a face all day it was too much, all the people and noises all round me.

ZQ4lZyV.jpg

Rosa tomatoes

9BWnV46.jpg

"Little Flemish" or "little flamenco dancer"? Looked it up when I got back...

PuSXK0q.jpg

Basically, it's a deep-fried roll of pork schnitzel (very thin piece of pork) and ham. In this area the pork bits are all Ibérico, of course.

hAd0YxO.jpg

Then I walked through the cork and pata negra farms back to my base village Alájar where I could hear the sound of silence again. Sierra villages are the kind of place in which every person you come across takes the time, even when in conversation, to say hello.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

@BonVivant I can only imagine how that tastes 😋

I discovered I really like to eat my frittata as bread (it’s really one egg and all egg white). I made mini kuku sabzi @shain and except yogurt, everything are leftovers from yesterday. 

CE63E842-AEEB-4784-99B8-21E8D491259C.jpeg

• Like 6