• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2019

liuzhou

Udon with spicy and (lightly) sweet sauce. Five spice, oyster sauce, white soy sauce, black vinegar. Soft tofu. Basil.

Smashed cucumber salad with dried shrimps, chili, vinegar, sugar, sesame oil.

IMG_20190906_142602.thumb.jpg.d91a0efa4cd664f158d2fea515797982.jpgIMG_20190906_141422.thumb.jpg.73294a7c1bdf1bba848ab227bdca70da.jpg

• Like 4

~ Shai N.

8 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I presume you mean "eat".

You arm yourself with a toothpick and winkle out the flesh, eat it, then suck the spicy, garlicky juices from the shell.

Repeat until replete.

Oh my - a new repeatable phrase "repeat until replete" - brilliant :)

• Like 4

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

For no particular reason this dish reminds me of an article in yesterday's local paper.  Three Chinese clam poachers were apprehended by the police with an estimated 22,093 illegal clams in their vehicle, destined for a NYC restaurant.  The clam poaching has been ongoing many months.  Not many yards downstream from two sewage facilities.

Oh well the local Japanese population would collect mussels off the the rocks even when signs warned "danger" - nobody died...

4 hours ago, shain said:

Udon with spicy and (lightly) sweet sauce. Five spice, oyster sauce, white soy sauce, black vinegar. Soft tofu. Basil.

Smashed cucumber salad with dried shrimps, chili, vinegar, sugar, sesame oil.

You reminded me that dried shrimp are missing from my pantry. I have great access- I just  added to the list (which I typed as lust - oh the brain)- cuz w/o the list  am a loose dog in the store

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

We usually go out somewhere for brunch after church, but Mr. Kim spent the whole day smoking 6 pork butts for aA  church fundraiser, so this was what I served:

DSCN0115.JPG.cc09bf73cb5c4d82fef7de6940c8f1fa.JPG

A Carolina dog (mustard, chili, and slaw) and Fritos.  Both the slaw and the chili were purchased, but the dogs were Kirkland, so that raised the level a bit. 😄  

• Like 5

Yesterday's grilled harissa chicken in some tom yum broth w/noodles, daikon a nd carrot. Mmmm...IMG_20190930_132012401.thumb.jpg.243765dd735349044b048be017c719d7.jpg

Edited by johnnyd (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 1

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

It's the tail end of the salmon season, we managed to find some fresh coho salmon at our local grocery.

Cooked Sous Vide  at 113F with at little bit of soy sauce and toasted sesame seed oil.

Steamed a red potato and some broccoli for a side.  Very tasty.

20190929_111834.thumb.jpg.da9b09846a559b704d8f0b8db86efa18.jpg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, Franci said:

Grilled endive and radicchio. Grilled shiitake (and a couple cherry tomatoes) with some chickpeas and a little bit of Chile crunch condiment, parsley, garlic, a squeeze of lemon, some shredded leftover chicken thigh. 

If it wasn’t for those chickpeas…… This would be close to perfection.

• Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Made a double batch of @caroled's baked beans for my FIL's 80th birthday party on Saturday:

DSCN0122.JPG.dc856e915f6c058ae7c97499bcba4d1d.JPG

As always, they were very popular.

There were enough leftovers for one of my favorite dishes for lunch today - Beanie Wienie:

DSCN0123.JPG.ad8fc5e2a9bd2e9507d3242463717454.JPG

Made with @caroled's beans and Kirkland dogs, it was exceptionally good!  Also I've still got some of the crackers that I made when we had company last week.  They are good, but cornbread would have been perfect.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 2

I've moved on to rural Spain after taking 4 different buses from Tavira, Portugal. Had a simple lunch of jamón whilst waiting for the 4th bus to reach my destination Alajár.

Hand-sliced jamón, olives, bread and beer. This is one of the most basic meals here in the heart of jamón producing Sierra de Aracena.

EI7Hdnf.jpg

Even the supermarket is called ham.

kDnrzLd.jpg

Last snacks in Tavira

REHaBUy.jpg

JEqMaOf.jpg

Portugal has relaxed alcohol laws. Half the menu is alcohol and this is a pasty shop.

hAYj4ag.jpg

Did an 8hr hike today... Oh my legs! More photos of Jamón can wait.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

I got a copy of Nigellas' 'Kitchen' for $7 in a shopping centre book sale. I perused it with the kid who asked me to make the 'Marmite Spaghetti'. So I did. 

20190929_194410.thumb.jpg.e63d976c30e269762d0bbb6671d52c09.jpg

He loved it. But I didn't really ... get it. Smelt like warm marmite, tasted like buttery Parmesan pasta 🤷‍♀️

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, CantCookStillTry said:

I got a copy of Nigellas' 'Kitchen' for $7 in a shopping centre book sale. I perused it with the kid who asked me to make the 'Marmite Spaghetti'. So I did. 

20190929_194410.thumb.jpg.e63d976c30e269762d0bbb6671d52c09.jpg

He loved it. But I didn't really ... get it. Smelt like warm marmite, tasted like buttery Parmesan pasta 🤷‍♀️

Do you mean you didn't care for the flavor, or you didn't see the point of using Marmite to get that flavor? It looks good!

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

For medical reasons I'd rather not get into, I've been confined to the house this season (no garden, no clamming). One of the things I miss most, is the shopping, where I would come up with the evening meal, but I digress....

Deb picked up this snow crab cluster for me as a little lunch gift / offering the other day and after just a few minutes in the IPot, it was ready. I am pretty sure that I enjoy crab more than lobster. We have to get more of these!!

HC

IMG_0919.thumb.JPG.54a6b9c3e615bcf994bcd5c090567b2b.JPGIMG_0915.thumb.JPG.5e3044b70f0df66c5e08dd229ccff8ba.JPG

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

25 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

Deb picked up this snow crab cluster for me as a little lunch gift / offering the other day and after just a few minutes in the IPot, it was ready. I am pretty sure that I enjoy crab more than lobster. We have to get more of these!!

HC

Love snow crab; especially the sweet chunks where the legs were separated from the body. . Affordable. I usually wrap in damp paper towels and nuke for a few seconds cuz I like them lukewarm. I think they get cooked on the ships before transport.

• Like 2

What's to eat when there's nothing to eat, country version,.

White pizza = sour cream, mozz, leftover cooked potato sliced razor thin, leftover rouille dribbled, shaved sweet onion, EVOO, parmesa.    Baked at 550 in our 75 year old inherited Wedgwood, on rack next to oven floor.    Very, very good.  

• Like 4

eGullet member #80.

1 hour ago, Franci said:

Daily salad 

I’ve inspected it carefully and I don’t see any chickpeas in there. Unless they’re hiding that looks like a perfect salad.  I would love something like that. What did you dress it with? Or did you not bother? It looks good enough to eat without a dressing. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

I’ve inspected it carefully and I don’t see any chickpeas in there. Unless they’re hiding that looks like a perfect salad.  I would love something like that. What did you dress it with? Or did you not bother? It looks good enough to eat without a dressing. 

No chickpeas 😂 I decided to freeze them 🙂

I dressed it with extra virgin olive oil and lime juice and fleur de sel. The shrimps have a good splash of yuzu hot sauce from TJ’s. I am using my chocolate gun (from when I had the business)  to dress my food. A thin layer of oil, much better than the nasty oil bottles that are around. Base of arugula, a heart of radicchio cut in wedges, cucumber, celery, green pepper, radish, raw beets. 

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1