• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2019

liuzhou

32 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

@Anna N – re: kimchi pancake.  I have a question about your batter.  It looks so crisp.  I wouldn’t eat kimchi, but your pancake looks very similar to a  Vietnamese Pancake, which I love and have a hard time finding since our favorite Vietnamese restaurant closed.  How do you make your batter?  I’m thinking that I could stuff one with pork, shrimp, and bean sprouts and see if it works

No, Kim this is not what you want at all. This is what you want! And you should be able to get it in your Asian store. 

image.thumb.jpg.6627d43ea94cdcc2c3f265c90c41ee4c.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

6 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@kayb– we would never go out to brunch after church if we knew there was a meal like those beans, corncakes, and potato salad waiting for us at home.  I think I’ve said it before, but I’m not a big potato salad person (I think that I just flat don’t like cold potatoes – other than raw ones😁), and that yours is one of the few that I look at and am truly tempted!

Truth? My preference is to eat potato salad when it's still warm from cooking the potatoes. I don't like it nearly as much when it's cold.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

16 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I believe that this is not the first time that the three of us have confessed to a shared odd preference.  

Me four! Cold potato salad is tasteless to me

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Franci said:

I wish I had Bonvivant crevette gris on my plate and some bulots too if possible 😁 but I had do with some key west pink shrimp, salad and a frittata.

I like yours, too!

Will this do? (Common shrimp around my parts)

511l3PR.jpg

oWmHj5J.jpg

• Like 4

13 hours ago, hongda said:

Dal with yogurt and Trader Joe's Zhoug sauce. 

IMG_20190917_070939.jpg.b33fb496552a3f0fa560b18c1c0f1bdd.jpg

I love the look on the dog's face.

"Couldn't cook something with a bone in it, could ya? No, no, no...gotta be all virtuous..." :P

• Haha 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

35E6CA9C-C685-4041-B1AE-D60C6A295D13.thumb.jpeg.2012486aedc4bfaf973b52bccc29f6f9.jpeg

The  lengths  some people will go to just to be different. Tender crisp green beans dressed with kimchi cream and served with two almost perfect 6 1/2 minute eggs.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, robirdstx said:

A330ED0C-E5A9-4552-9A4E-FD50E32119E8.thumb.jpeg.a5bc0fe2968d9bbb429fa8f0683eb515.jpeg

Grilled Pork Banh Mi at The Point in Palacios

Damn that looks good.   The texture on that bread looks very reminiscent to what I saw all over Saigon... too bad nothing like it exists anywhere in NYC (at least anywhere I've tried - I'm always open to suggestions!)

• Thanks 1

this  is a late lunch , 2 PM 

taken as a take-out from here :

https://www.ricenoodlethaieatery.com/#home-section

386543857_Thaix2.thumb.jpg.4e98dbffad9ffead63feb361cb2b6a51.jpg

in the L Seafood Basil Pad Thai.   spicy.  calamari ( stir-fry , not crispy ) shrimp and scallop ( 1 )  next time Shrimp : plump and nice

on the R :  broad rice noodle w duck ,  Lime leaf and peppercorn.  hot  I love Thai food , and this seems far better than decent

and they have Duck !

superb food.  Im sure the LunchLadies dwouild not have too much trouble in the GTA getting = or better

long commute for me for take-out.

its at the other end of my town , and the food is superb.

its in a nowhere tiny strip maul , and I discovered it

as it had take over a Chinese restaurant that seems to have given up the ghost.

the food is unusually good for any Thai restaurant , esp in the suburbs.  very smaall

4 tables , and no beer license , so after the first superb lunch I and there , I take-out 

and have a very very cold Hoponius Union or 2 , in a Fz glass

I decided to pass out menu's at Tj's, the Library , the FireHouse , and P{olive station 

Im going to die if this place does not survive.  very pleasant staff ( one person )

and there has always been people from Thailand coming in or eating their on my trips.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 4

On 9/18/2019 at 10:03 AM, Paul Bacino said:

Made Sugo and Salsiccia which I added fregola to.

48749795887_6b5ee0e53e_b.jpg

Ok, I had to look up all three of those words.  😁  Looks so good!

@Anna N - when you say 6 1/2 minute eggs, are you boiling or steaming them or what?  Because that is exactly what I'd like my eggs to look like!

@BonVivant - dear Lord, those figs.  I think I lost consciousness for a minute.  Just absolutely gorgeous (the food and your photography) and delicious looking.

Roast beef with muenster and horseradish cream, turkey with lettuce and mayo and my favorite skinny little pretzel sticks that are so hard to find:

DSCN0061.JPG.a8174c75bf53361b3cc7c4d1a1c712a5.JPG

• Like 7