• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2019

liuzhou

Lunch was “sink” tacos.   Toasted corn tortillas filled with leftover smoked chicken, tomatoes and pepper jack cheese and green tomatillo salsa.   

A quick snack before heading back to work.   

Busy in retirement. Good to be needed 😋. Got an upcoming wedding to pay for

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Franci said:

Sometimes I each for the first word that comes to my mind 😅 doesn’t matter the language! 

The word has been often used by peeps non US. @shain I think off the top of my head. As Cos is romaine elsewhere from us US centrics... 

3 hours ago, heidih said:

As Cos is romaine elsewhere from us US centrics... 

No. It's called cos in the UK, too. And in Greece where the word originated. In fact, Romaine is more common in the USA than cos.

Also. sucrine isn't synonymous with romaine/cos. Although closeley related, they are different cultivars.

Edited by liuzhou
typos (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

After all the years in Monaco, it comes natural to me calling it sucrine but yes, it’s not exactly like regular romaine. I’ve seen it here sold in 6 heads containers from Green Giant at my local supermarket as little gems. 

I do all the things they tell you to avoid. Skipped breakfast, went to the gym and then went grocery shopping on a empty stomach. Started to cook at 2pm. At 2:20pm lunch was served. Not bad at all for thinking about it just while opening the fridge. The only ingredient I knew I was going to use was cod 😄 it turned out pretty good. The red vegetable is pepper in a jar pre grilled, topped with  chile  crunch condiment  I love on this kind of dishes. 

47E9053B-8F01-4784-93CA-D16CE193377C.jpeg

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 1

17 hours ago, liuzhou said:

No. It's called cos in the UK, too. And in Greece where the word originated. In fact, Romaine is more common in the USA than cos.

Also. sucrine isn't synonymous with romaine/cos. Although closeley related, they are different cultivars.

Thank you as always for your correction 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Franci said:

After all the years in Monaco, it comes natural to me calling it sucrine but yes, it’s not exactly like regular romaine. I’ve seen it here sold in 6 heads containers from Green Giant at my local supermarket as little gems. 

I do all the things they tell you to avoid. Skipped breakfast, went to the gym and then went grocery shopping on a empty stomach. Started to cook at 2pm. At 2:20pm lunch was served. Not bad at all for thinking about it just while opening the fridge. The only ingredient I knew I was going to use was cod 😄 it turned out pretty good. The red vegetable is pepper in a jar pre grilled, topped with  chile  crunch condiment  I love on this kind of dishes. 

47E9053B-8F01-4784-93CA-D16CE193377C.jpeg

Beautiful.  I love looking at what I have on hand and trying to make the best of it and manipulate it into something new.  A bit of a mental challenge. Not that complex 😋. Just fun

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When living in Brooklyn and visiting my in laws on Saturday, they would always buy some cha shao, the Chinese pork roast. My daughter especially is crazy for it.

But now I just make my own, no Chinese food around. My husband declared it’s much better then any roast you buy in China town in Brooklyn  🙌 also here I switched for Italian salumi to Spanish ones, we have a wonderful store where to buy Spanish products. Here is a very good sopresada, similar name  to Italian soppressata but very different, it’s like a spreadable chorizo, so good on grilled bread. And I am on a special protein diet for 2 more weeks, so I had just a mixed salad with chicken. Very tough to resist the pork, I had a couple slices though 

DFA865F2-D00C-4CF2-AC39-25F5E915FF4B.jpeg

18BBF986-8E5A-47B8-BA20-0C25FA1616EC.jpeg

42A783AC-D419-465D-8000-51D74E574672.jpeg

5C6E573C-0B89-4EB1-96B0-CE17D3649785.jpeg

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 2

@Franci, I couldn't decide whether to click on "Like" for that gorgeous pork and amazing-looking sopressada (would you say it's at all similar to 'nduja?) or click on the sad face because this:

35 minutes ago, Franci said:

....so I had just a mixed salad with chicken...

is what you had for your own lunch while looking at the rest!

24 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

@Franci

is what you had for your own lunch while looking at the rest!

Yes, absolutely. Don’t feel too bad, I still stole a couple pieces of the roast. At least from next week I am doing high protein and high fat. Is doing low fat that is killing me! 

• Like 2

Ah, to answer to your question. The sobrasada flavor is very different than the ‘nduja, to add more info, I think it’s traditional from Mallorca. It’s not really spicy like ‘nduja  and flavor is like chorizo, as consistency, not flavor, reminds me more of the ventricina from Teramo (one roommate from university introduced me to it! That’s the beauty of Italy changing many roommates 🤣 all students bringing back from home local stuff 😁

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Franci said:

When living in Brooklyn and visiting my in laws on Saturday, they would always buy some cha shao, the Chinese pork roast. My daughter especially is crazy for it.

But now I just make my own, no Chinese food around. My husband declared it’s much better then any roast you buy in China town in Brooklyn  🙌 also here I switched for Italian salumi to Spanish ones, we have a wonderful store where to buy Spanish products. Here is a very good sopresada, similar name  to Italian soppressata but very different, it’s like a spreadable chorizo, so good on grilled bread. And I am on a special protein diet for 2 more weeks, so I had just a mixed salad with chicken. Very tough to resist the pork, I had a couple slices though.

The cha shao looks wonderful. Could you share or provide a link to the recipe you use?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

48 minutes ago, Alex said:

The cha shao looks wonderful. Could you share or provide a link to the recipe you use?

Look for Andrea Nguyen char siu, in google you can easily find it (if in my house I use the cantonese spelling they put me at the door). I used her quantities, only difference is that I use 2 tablespoons of honey instead of 3 and I added 1 teaspoon salt. Also I’ve used in the past Whole Foods Hoisin sauce and I didn’t like it. Last 2 times I used San J hoisin sauce and much better flavor I found.  I used pork butt cut into 4 large pieces. Cooked at 375F convection for 20 minutes, turned, 20 minutes more. Than basted 3 times with some of the marinate, broiler low, turning pieces every 8 minutes. 

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 1

17 minutes ago, BonVivant said:

Here comes the sun... (ate them next to the kitchen sink after photo was taken).

9mqZbRh.jpg

Cured salmon and corn cakes/fritters.

5aOvmvG.jpg

There's lot of seaweed in the corn cakes.

9aJvGpt.jpg

C4Enrwv.jpg

I am in paradise. Bonvivant, you couldn’t have possibly picked a more appropriate name for yourself 😀

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Franci said:

I am in paradise. Bonvivant, you couldn’t have possibly picked a more appropriate name for yourself 😀

Thank you! 

Still think about this simple, fantastic lunch I ate in insignificant, middle-of-nowhere Veria, Greece. The cook led me to his little kitchen and showed me what he had, and I chose meatballs, aubergines, peppers, tomatoes. Had to catch the train back to Thessaloniki, otherwise I would have stayed for dinner.

X5jMdQ1.jpg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

On 9/13/2019 at 4:15 AM, heidih said:

The word has been often used by peeps non US. @shain I think off the top of my head. As Cos is romaine elsewhere from us US centrics... 

Sorry not me. I learnt two new words today - only ever known it as romaine. In Israel it is sometimes called similarly "Roman luttuce", but more often "Arabian luttuce". 

• Like 2

~ Shai N.

I made snacks for my daughter playdate (and her mom) in the afternoon, that became my breakfast and my lunch. I guess today I can call it a cheat day. 

Tigelle with coppa serrana, jamon, chorizo and sobrasada. Olives and cornichons. Focaccia. I also made bignè with pastry cream and bignè with chocolate cream and a fruit tart, no picture for that. 

B80ACDE7-CB7E-4694-A683-82B4C86CC2B9.jpeg

249BFF80-D5B4-4716-A7D9-12CA81596448.jpeg

B9F24AC4-506C-4006-868E-4178FB1529FA.jpeg

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 2

22 hours ago, BonVivant said:

Here comes the sun... (ate them next to the kitchen sink after photo was taken).

9mqZbRh.jpg

Cured salmon and corn cakes/fritters.

There's lot of seaweed in the corn cakes.

Seaweed in the corn - yes I like but I am kinda stuck on that bread!. Beautiful. 

• Like 1

@kayb– we would never go out to brunch after church if we knew there was a meal like those beans, corncakes, and potato salad waiting for us at home.  I think I’ve said it before, but I’m not a big potato salad person (I think that I just flat don’t like cold potatoes – other than raw ones😁), and that yours is one of the few that I look at and am truly tempted!

@Franci – do you know what brand of cottage cheese that was that you posted on 9/8?  I really like a drier kind and everything I’ve tried is too wet. 

@BeeZee – I would make salmon just to have that to put on a bagel!  Looks so great.

@Anna N – re: kimchi pancake.  I have a question about your batter.  It looks so crisp.  I wouldn’t eat kimchi, but your pancake looks very similar to a  Vietnamese Pancake, which I love and have a hard time finding since our favorite Vietnamese restaurant closed.  How do you make your batter?  I’m thinking that I could stuff one with pork, shrimp, and bean sprouts and see if it works. 

Lunch last Sunday was a potluck at church.  Church provided hamburgers and hot dogs and we just needed to bring sides and desserts.  I made some “pastries”.  Crescent Lemon Honey Buns:

DSCN0023.JPG.3170e4451bcd78824169fee01b9ae471.JPG

Crispy Crescent Cinnamon Twists:

DSCN0024.JPG.ca139fd586a090e6ef573fa56bc3d1d8.JPG

Both made with refrigerated dough. :blush:

DSCN0025.JPG.2408f1e227b15d60960a23a32fd6936f.JPG

Forgot to take the picture before wrapping!

I also did Smoky Beans in the slow cooker:

DSCN0026.JPG.23551c86d7a1ba02c8d71dbc72b4d9de.JPG

There were lots of these leftover – recipe says it serves 20, but with all the other food that was available, it could have served many more.  We have eaten these all week.  Good thing we like them so much!

I took Jessica to lunch one day last week.  We went to Nomad’s, the place that Mr. Kim surprised me with and I posted about.  We both had the shrimp po’boy:

0912b.jpg.68efe662bbe1c10b152fd9cd9f18dcfc.jpg 

Then we stopped at a nice little locally owned bakery near us:

DSCN0040.JPG.8ab9bc2cad09c1e5dc51808bc0f1921f.JPG

Tres Leches cake, guava and dulce de leche pastries, and a peanut butter with Reeses cups cooky. 

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1