• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2019

liuzhou

I just said hi on the dinner thread but also here I want to say hi again. So happy to be back! Looking forward checking what you have been cooking! 

Today we had a yellow tail snapper. Some sauté chards, shishito peppers and Ezekiel bread (just for me). 

C92F8FD8-4004-4F76-9489-AE745660E465.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Franci said:

I just said hi on the dinner thread but also here I want to say hi again. So happy to be back! Looking forward checking what you have been cooking! 

Today we had a yellow tail snapper. Some sauté chards, shishito peppers and Ezekiel bread (just for me). 

Ha my 97 year old dad bought Ezekiel bread by accident a while back. It looked like his Trader Joe raisin bread. He whooped today as last slice was gone!

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Franci said:

C92F8FD8-4004-4F76-9489-AE745660E465.jpeg

So happy to see you!  Welcome back!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22186373-952C-44F9-9FFA-75C3C16B26B9.thumb.jpeg.5e4aa36e54815face96456f3fd277f61.jpeg

Chicken and cheese quesadillas but the highlight was the salsa.  Salsa.  I added it to my shopping cart on a whim when I placed my grocery order intending to use it as a shortcut shakshuka base. It should come with a padlock so I don’t stand in front of the fridge just spooning it into my mouth. 😂

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Put a pot of Good Mother Stallards on in the IP before I went to church. Came home and on a whim made a bit of potato salad and fried up some cornbread hoecakes.

20190908_135626.thumb.jpg.2aef55cccf537ad002d5e34efdae735f.jpg

• Like 9

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

C1E31DF0-42E7-4652-A899-05A64B858DC0.thumb.jpeg.8669749375ac153f416197cb16767a02.jpeg

A strange lunch even for me! One of the difficulties of placing a grocery order and trusting someone else to choose your produce is that their tastes may not be your tastes and their estimate of  ripeness  may vary greatly from your estimate of  ripeness.  Even so I should have noticed how hard this pear was before I cut into it. I have felt curling stones with more give than this pear had. But too late. I had already cut into it and so I reached deep into my imagination and sautéed it in butter. Didn’t get any riper but it did get a bit softer.  And so lunch was sautéed pear, blue cheese and Breton crackers.  

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

3EE7507B-70F1-40F6-9242-3DFB41F06490.thumb.jpeg.59e8adedd7ab924844b4e57976f9f9f7.jpeg

Eggs in salsa with toast triangles.  

• Like 4
  • Delicious 5

My 2004 eG Blog

Lunch today. I had some defrosted cod in the fridge and as well some edamame. I didn’t feel like a stew dish, I wanted more a salad. So in 5 minutes I put this together. Afterthought, the onions didn’t belong there. I wish I had a mix of forbidden rice and quinoa with some ginger scallion oil to go with it. But not bad. 

E22D3328-9643-4725-97DA-1144500B6425.jpeg

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 2

I really wanted a slice of pizza with mushrooms and pepperoni. Usually I could find one in my freezer but not today.

07FD03CA-DA85-4AE5-95FD-91D5A88B696B.thumb.jpeg.2f73ac4a7f7d56844f48e6bb73297b11.jpeg

Mushroom, pepperoni and cheese frittata. 

• Like 4
  • Delicious 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Lunch at home...leftover salmon that we had cooked on a cedar plank on the grill, drizzled a little sesame/ginger dressing over and sprinkled everything bagel seasoning on top. Open face on wheat bagel.

IMG_20190912_120230.jpg

Edited by BeeZee (log)
  • Like 3
  • Delicious 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

BCB05B65-9F28-4E6C-9802-81A08E8FDF6C.thumb.jpeg.9cf28107586713e1d28bef3a0eeb3b52.jpeg

Kimchi pancake with black vinegar and soy sauce for dipping. 

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N I would gladly have your pancake for snack now. 

Lately I’d be happy just eating salads. This was quite rich: radicchio, arugula, spinach, sucrine, radishes, red onion, tuna under water, sardines, boiled egg and corona beans and a leksands rye crisp bread. 

314B1438-8B99-4C56-91D8-53EEB45C8D82.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

14 minutes ago, Franci said:

Lately I’d be happy just eating salads. This was quite rich: radicchio, arugula, spinach, sucrine, radishes, red onion, tuna under water, sardines, boiled egg and corona beans and a leksands rye crisp bread. 

I learned a new word today (sucrine). Thank you!

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer