• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2019

liuzhou

8AEC2B21-B83D-4868-B568-8995F5FF346D.thumb.jpeg.a3f43670b632f6da42198cd40c35c95e.jpeg

Might be lunch and might be slunch.  Leftover spam succotash supplemented by one of the leftover pieces of sliced beef from yesterday‘s restaurant takeout. I found my Timur pepper and used it with abandon.  Delicious.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Slunch? Is that something between a snack and lunch?  

Something that might be supper or might be lunch or might have to do double duty. 

• Thanks 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, shain said:

Yaki udon. With tamagoyaki style egg cubes. Ginger, garlic, onion, oyster sauce, sesame oil, a hint of sugar, and some MSG for good measure.

I definitely need to steal this.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

I definitely need to steal this.

Go for it :P

To be precise, I baked the eggs (rather than frying), I also whipped them well in order for the result to be airy and absorb the sauce.

Edited by shain (log)
  • Thanks 1

~ Shai N.

B47191E1-2602-4548-A626-2D304C847377.thumb.jpeg.b9332fcba88de6175045fa70b5ec358b.jpeg

(Purchased) leek and pork potstickers.  I bet they might have been much tastier had they not been in my freezer for considerably longer than they should have been.  I ate them with some bottled dipping sauce but next time I would go back to my own mixture of black vinegar and soy sauce.   I put the other half of the package back into the freezer and think that I will serve them as part of a Ramen bowl when I get around to it.

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

74C9A872-66F3-4BB2-93E5-03B310C2094B.thumb.jpeg.56e5ad5c37007814611b41540addbf94.jpeg

Usually this is breakfast but when I went to make some toast earlier a recently-purchased loaf of rye bread had black mould all the way through it!  Damn.  And so lunch is spam and egg onigirazu  with a dipping sauce which is just a combination of brown sauce (HP) and ketchup. 

• Like 2
  • Delicious 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Common shrimp around my parts.

n5B8PfO.jpg

Butter is setting. One has fresh turmeric and chilli.

A6R7BGL.jpg

PJmj2AF.jpg

Vietnamese steamed pork paste with rinds

XYvaH19.jpg

HSuQfad.jpg

Gorging on these now. They survived the journey from Turkey, then from the market on the back of my bicycle.

ZZjxOve.jpg

• Like 7

Yesterday just me for lunch so dualing salads it was:  fennel/orange versus mixed veggies...sprouts, fresh, fresh white mushrooms, last of the garden tomatoes, cucumber and sliced green peppers dusted with seed/nut mix.  It was a lot of veggies!!  But so good.

DSC03239.thumb.jpg.2dda0e52a5becfe64e000f22af7da495.jpg

• Like 5

2C2BB12F-EF6D-43B7-8EC5-236D35D368B1.thumb.jpeg.f3acda705db332e596b020266ce99aa9.jpeg

I intentionally left some of the pork chop that was dinner yesterday evening. I knew I didn’t need all that meat in one meal and that planned-overs would be really good for lunch.  So here we have two small pieces of toasted rye bread with sliced pork chop and lingonberry sauce.  And there is at least one more pork sandwich in my future.     

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

My 2004 eG Blog

On 9/5/2019 at 12:36 PM, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I'm a peasant.    I really don't appreciate caviar.    Such a cheap date!

I will chime in here to extol the virtues of domestic caviar, particularly that harvested some 60 miles from me on the White River. Can't wait until it turns off cold and I can betake myself to George's Fish Market in Marvell, AR, to buy some. Both sturgeon and paddlefish available; I prefer the sturgeon. I'm told it's similar to osetra; not having tried the good stuff, I can't say. But it's significantly cheaper; about $100 a half-pound.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Mr. Kim, who is on vacation this week, surprised me by taking me to lunch today and yesterday at two new (to me) places.  Yesterday was Nomad’s Deli.  Fantastic place.  Mr. Kim had the Big Chick sandwich – when everyone in Richmond was losing their minds over the new Popeye’s chicken sandwich, the Richmond Times Dispatch published an article listing better than Popeye’s or Chick-fil-A chicken sandwiches – this was one of them:

pic4.jpg.5efd32d7a5e845d732234ef8284e658a.jpg

Huge, perfectly cooked breast on a garlic roll with grilled onions, peppers, mushrooms, jalapenos, provolone cheese, lettuce, tomato, and mayo.  It was fantastic!  I had the shrimp po’boy:

pic5.jpg.e3030b3c7ad1586c6b40eb40ed2f8bfa.jpg

This was a 12-inch sandwich.  I didn’t notice that until I got it.  It was truly delicious.  Perfectly fried jumbo shrimp, slaw, cocktail sauce, tomatoes (I requested no onion).  I figured out a trick about halfway through the first half – I knew I’d never be able to eat the other half, so I pulled all the shrimp out and stuck them in the half I ate!  I was shocked at how good this was – the slaw was really robust – cut large, very crunchy and aggressively seasoned.  We loved this place – a true family owned and run neighborhood joint.  Lots of vegetarian options, diverse clientele and they even sell steamed crabs on Friday nights.

Today was Lulabelle’s Café – kind of a Southern Ladies Who Lunch vibe.  We both started with soup:

pic3.jpg.28dc3af3955e14db751c1307f3642afa.jpg

Mr. Kim had the turkey and rice.  I had the NE clam chowder.  Both were very good.  My chowder was especially nice – in texture it was somewhere in between a thick, creamy NE chowder and a brothy, briny NC Outer Banks chowder.  The clams were incredibly tender.  I had the fried green tomato BLT with a side of collards:

pic2.jpg.578e2ae17f7704ca8c771b2dae6efe4d.jpg

The sandwich was good, but the pimento cheese was a little over spiced for me.  I almost ordered deviled eggs as my side, but the waitress told me they had jalapenos in them, so I chose collards instead.  Very, very good.  One point off for only having red wine vinegar.  If you are a café in Richmond VA serving collards, you need to stock some apple cider vinegar.  We can’t remember the name of Mr. Kim’s sandwich:

pic.jpg.755061162734ff5997173bd7b5132538.jpg

It had turkey, pimento cheese, jalapeno relish, bacon, and red onion.  He loved it – I tasted the turkey and it was fresh and properly cooked.  He said the deviled eggs were great – creamy and not too hot.  The pickles were good, too – pretty sure they were house made.

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4

@Kim Shook, you're making me think I need to make some slaw and some pimento cheese very, very soon. Those sandwiches looked divine. I wonder whether I'll be able to find green tomatoes up here? I'll have to start asking my farmer friends as the season winds down.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Off on a small errand excursion today. I wanted sushi and many a recent discussion about Burger King prompted Deb to get a Whopper.

Neither of us have had one in many a year. I think Deb was disappointed eating it, and I was happy I chose otherwise just looking on.

HC

IMG_0875.thumb.JPG.a0787add064383732652c08460061e43.JPGIMG_0877.thumb.JPG.f1005a242781920d629a433e23ee45a3.JPGIMG_0879.thumb.JPG.f5d12493cf49b46f4d57e6264c8facec.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1