• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2019

liuzhou

Oh, holy hell. A grits waffle. Freaking brilliant. I am so there.

Now. Contemplating doing away with the a/p flour, to make this gluten free. More grits, and a gf flour mix. We will report.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Sunday brunch at SB’s Love Shack (a big favorite with us) with Jessica.  We shared two things.  First was pineapple bread pudding done French toast style, topped with maraschino cherry whipped cream, vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of chocolate syrup:

brunch4.jpg.7a22df22820c070538e407af3382cbe0.jpg

Really delicious.  We ate more of this than we thought we would.  The whipped cream could SO easily have been overdone and was not.  Perfect with the pineapple.

And a crabcake Benedict – 2 lump crabcakes, poached eggs and Old Bay hollandaise:

brunch7.jpg.1047121fee569c5355b7d223567daa73.jpg

Really nice crabcakes compromised by red bell peppers.  Luckily, they were fairly mild and when I picked them out, the flavor wasn’t completely pervasive.  Wished they’d done classic Eastern shore crabcakes, though. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

Sunday brunch at SB’s Love Shack (a big favorite with us) with Jessica.  We shared two things.  First was pineapple bread pudding done French toast style, topped with maraschino cherry whipped cream, vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of chocolate syrup:

brunch4.jpg.7a22df22820c070538e407af3382cbe0.jpg

Really delicious.  We ate more of this than we thought we would.  The whipped cream could SO easily have been overdone and was not.  Perfect with the pineapple.

What could possibly be overdone about whipped cream, ice cream and chocolate sauce for breakfast? As an appetizer, it appears!

• Haha 1

On 8/18/2019 at 7:47 PM, Kim Shook said:

What did you think about the cheese with it?  It looks to me like you used a lot less than she did.

The shrimp are kind of lemony-herby-garlicky and I liked the way the cheese balanced the acid and goes with the bacon.  I also liked the bit of chew the melty cheese added to the crispy waffle. 

Instead of the Monterey Jack the recipe specifies, I used some of the Jasper Hill cave aged cheese from TJ's and I used what I thought was, "a good pinch" as the recipe says and put the waffles in the CSO just long enough to make it melty. 

I'll add that ingredient list for the waffles calls for 1/2 cup of sliced green onions but the instructions never mention adding them.  I ended up making some waffles with and some without the green onions.  For this dish as the onions are an flavorful addition.   The waffles themselves are excellent and can be used with either sweet or savory toppings.  Very similar to the Crispy Cornmeal Waffles in Dorie Greenspan's waffle book where she suggests serving leftovers as a side with a bowl of soup.  

Also, I think the cooking instructions for the shrimp - cook until pink, then add the lemon juice, bacon and herbs and cook for 3 more minutes to reduce, then keep warm over low heat while you make the waffles - is a recipe for overcooked shrimp.  I'd certainly make the waffles first then the shrimp and would consider removing them from the pan for that 3 min cook or adding and reducing the lemon juice before adding the shrimp.

• Thanks 2

On 8/18/2019 at 9:47 PM, Kim Shook said:

What did you think about the cheese with it?  It looks to me like you used a lot less than she did.

Also, what type of grits did you use?  There is a huge range - instant to quick cooking to normal to stone-ground, that could seriously change the cooking or at least hydration time.

5 hours ago, tazerowe said:

Also, what type of grits did you use?  There is a huge range - instant to quick cooking to normal to stone-ground, that could seriously change the cooking or at least hydration time.

Actually, this question is for @blue_dolphin.  I'd like to know, too!

On 8/21/2019 at 9:09 AM, tazerowe said:

22 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Actually, this question is for @blue_dolphin.  I'd like to know, too!

I mentioned earlier that this recipe had a lot in common with the Crispy Cornmeal Waffles in Dorie Greenspan's waffle book.  Over here, when @Chris Hennes made that recipe, he used Bob's Red Mill coarse ground cornmeal and felt it gave the waffles an excellent texture.  Since that Joy the Baker recipe didn't say anything about what kind of grits to use, I decided to follow Chris' lead and used a fairly coarse, stone-ground cornmeal from a local miller, Roan Mills, made from yellow dent corn.  The recipe I used says to let the batter sit at least 5 minutes, I let it sit ~ 30 minutes.  Dorie's recipe specifies coarse, stone-ground cornmeal.  She doesn't recommend any resting time but does use a bit more liquid. 

I'll speculate that one can likely get a decent waffle with most any kind of grits assuming you've got at least half flour in there to carry the structure.  Recently, I made the Brown Sugar Kitchen Cornmeal Waffles and used the relatively fine Arrowhead Mills yellow cornmeal.  Different recipe, of course, and since they were yeasted, the batter rested for ~ 6 hrs, but they came out well, too.  Maybe I'll put my speculation to the test with some of the Barkley's Mill White Corn Grits I've got hanging around.  They're stone-ground with a range of particle sizes from very fine to moderately coarse. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Thanks 1

ED2738D6-68A0-4CCA-A743-1918C03E35D5.thumb.jpeg.982c49315f1474111b9876672fd04c0e.jpeg

On her way out to a luncheon date my daughter dropped off these amazing tomatoes that she had grown. I was eating them like candy and then decided perhaps I should incorporate them into my lunch. Toasted rye bread with cheddar cheese that I just barely melted and these lovely tomatoes.  Life is good.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

6 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

@blue_dolphin one more question re: the waffles - how many servings did you get?  I can't find that she says in the recipe.  Thanks so much!

I'd guess 6 servings.  I used about 1/2 cup of batter/waffle and, if I remember correctly, got six 6.5 inch diameter round waffles.  I believe that would work out well for the shrimp, too.

• Thanks 1

D0DAD533-864E-4DBE-8144-9C3F43B167D6.thumb.jpeg.a0498659f2f37824cf7a1bd2b88ebd2d.jpeg

“Baby steps” as my son is wont to say  when he is encouraging his mother for better or for worse. He paid a visit today and took care of a whole bunch of little jobs so I ordered in pizza.  I have frozen what was left and will have lots of quick meals in my future. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

DAC52CA0-62FF-458D-924C-0603CE05C13E.thumb.jpeg.b6cdc0a6a61be2f7c1ce83aca3a32d7d.jpeg

For the duration of our stay in Manitoulin we wanted some basil. There were no basil plants to be had.  Yesterday @Kerry Bealbrought me a lovely, flourishing basil plant.  I reheated two slices of frozen pizza and anointed them with an overly generous chiffonade. 

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

My 2004 eG Blog