• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2019

liuzhou

After helping to make and delivering 100 lunches to a few homeless shelters in the city today, Mr. Kim took me to lunch at Salt and Forge, one of our favorite local restaurants.  Impeccably produced sandwiches, salads, and breakfast items - everything is either house made or locally sourced.  I started out with the BLT with Hanover tomatoes and pimento cheese:

IMG_0015.JPG.2781fe206df7e1cffb8af71fdbaf03e6.JPG

Which immediately became Mr. Kim's because the pimento cheese was very spicy.  I was sorry for that, because it was otherwise delicious.  Luckily, Mr. Kim was willing to share.  He'd chosen the Cubano on a brioche bun:

IMG_0016.JPG.ad31607e6f0a41010017271af29b4f71.JPG

It was incredibly good.  A really well balanced sandwich.  The pork was the star, though.  It came with a side of gazpacho - very, very good and not overwhelmed with bell pepper flavor.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

10 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

After helping to make and delivering 100 lunches to a few homeless shelters in the city today, Mr. Kim took me to lunch at Salt and Forge, one of our favorite local restaurants.  Impeccably produced sandwiches, salads, and breakfast items - everything is either house made or locally sourced.  I started out with the BLT with Hanover tomatoes and pimento cheese:

IMG_0015.JPG.2781fe206df7e1cffb8af71fdbaf03e6.JPG

Which immediately became Mr. Kim's because the pimento cheese was very spicy.  I was sorry for that, because it was otherwise delicious.  Luckily, Mr. Kim was willing to share.  He'd chosen the Cubano on a brioche bun:

IMG_0016.JPG.ad31607e6f0a41010017271af29b4f71.JPG

It was incredibly good.  A really well balanced sandwich.  The pork was the star, though.  It came with a side of gazpacho - very, very good and not overwhelmed with bell pepper flavor.  

The food looks great! Making lunch for the homeless is awesome and I'm sure really appreciated.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, demiglace said:

The food looks great! Making lunch for the homeless is awesome and I'm sure really appreciated.  

Our church does this once a month and there are a couple of different groups that do it.  When we drop it off, folks are always appreciative.  We make sure to tell them that we appreciate what THEY are doing and the service that they provide.  And, believe me - the irony is not lost on me:  we spend all morning making PB& J's or bologna sandwiches and end up eating some amazing, unusual lunch.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Currywurst" without the curry (I don't eat curries or any curry mixes). Made the sauce using Mutti tomatoes.

G76rfJT.jpg

owvzr4Y.jpg

Used white balsamic vinegar to make white "caviar". For the other ones I also added liquid smoke.

UZKEl4m.jpg

The sausages are from Thuringia.

TN81x6C.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 8

Hot dog, mustard, street onions (in unidentifiable red sauce) or sauerkraut, bun.  Period.

I felt the same way when I saw your photo above as I did on my first trip to LA when they tried to sell me a taco bagel or a pineapple bagel.

It just makes me want to hide under my bed, fearing that the end is near.

So, how’d it taste? 🤐

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Steve R. said:

Hot dog, mustard, street onions (in unidentifiable red sauce) or sauerkraut, bun.  Period.

I felt the same way when I saw your photo above as I did on my first trip to LA when they tried to sell me a taco bagel or a pineapple bagel.

It just makes me want to hide under my bed, fearing that the end is near.

So, how’d it taste? 🤐

Blame me, not Mohamed.   I chose the condiments.    It was divine!   😀     Lettuce, tomato, red onion, dill slices, jalapenos, cilantro.     Oh, and mayo, catsup, mustard.     But not for the faint of heart.   Would not recommend one to you.    In fact, DH orders his close to your prescription.    Mohamed, knowing our tastes and anticipating our order, greets us with, "HELLO, YOU TWO!     One spicy turkey dog for madame and one not spicy Polish for the wimp!"   

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

eGullet member #80.

Late lunch/early dinner

1948805274_IMG_1103(1).thumb.jpg.dfcc71dbbd493539733174a263de8706.jpg

Leftover roasted chicken (per Zuni Café Cookbook), Tomato Salad with Spicy Ponzu from Tim Anderson's Japaneasy, corn on the cob, Japanese Potato Salad from Japaneasy.  Instead of hard boiled quail eggs, I made the Miso-Cured Eggs that Samin Nosrat made with Nancy Singleton Hachisu in her Netflix show. That recipe, from Hachisu’s book, Preserving the Japanese Way is available online here, with process photos here.  I boiled the eggs for 7 minutes instead of the specified 8. 

• Like 10

Yellow Indian Woman Beans and Bulgur with Preserved Lemon from Rancho Gordo's Heirloom Beans cookbook with little yellow tomatoes from a friend's garden

IMG_1115.thumb.jpg.5b429600908b6e31f97ed6c9ba17c67e.jpg

I'd like to add a bit of crunch to this.  Not sure if it should be celery or nuts....or both but I'll experiment with the leftovers. 

• Like 7

1/2 a BLT with American cheese on toast.  The "discussion" with the person who came to in our bed and wandered out killed my appetite.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

xSnh3Zw.jpg

kPM2fbc.jpg

n2OWY3b.jpg

Good for the skin. There are chunks of crunchy nectarine in the quark. Name of this dish in German is "housewife-style Matjes". My favourite way to eat ma(a)tjes.

Cx10Vi5.jpg

WlaYz5d.jpg

On 7/14/2019 at 11:47 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I love the pork.

I passed your message on to Oinker...

48GsI4a.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

It certainly works for us.     Today's loot

Pink Ralph Loren Polo tennis shoes, maybe worn once, $1  and very chic designer dress, both for grand-daughter, also close to new, $7

Squash blossoms, purslane, cilantro, English peas, wild spinach (was told by a favorite Latino produce guy). green tomatoes (yes, green, not tomatillos), pasilla peppers...for me.   

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 4

eGullet member #80.

Lunch in Lodi (CA) at  La Morentia Taco Truck

Two cabeza tacos = two tortillas each, lots of meat so I split them up -> "4" tacos

384592508_Screenshot2019-07-29at5_30_04PM.png.d7ee8004345aef51db3e5f556052022e.png

DH ordered Pastor tostado = big and fresh

1182808537_Screenshot2019-07-29at5_30_26PM.png.ad2d5a1d3543a492115180605a8bb05c.png

And a large (pint+) aqua pepinos     =    cucumber water, very good

556734540_Screenshot2019-07-29at5_40_13PM.png.46dd5c4c25b43933e54013f4a8ff3b72.png

A table in the shade and a total tab of $10.     

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

eGullet member #80.

The other day was eggplant cooked in the microwave/finished on the stove and topped with the sauce my brother brought us..Italian..nice and hot.  And the obligatory salad.

DSC03151.thumb.jpg.e4b9999dcbca48bd5bc3bd63d2a8b981.jpgDSC03152.thumb.jpg.34331b8362ed7c746bf20e77b9b88315.jpg

Today was homemade tortilla chips topped with some pork carnitas from the freezer and cheese along with a salad.

DSC03155.thumb.jpg.5447615de76340bd3f074c3969169bf6.jpgDSC03156.thumb.jpg.4d6c4add1ac09b3d706e7e93ffdef787.jpg

• Like 8