• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2019

liuzhou

I had been looking at and wondering about, these crab legs in a local market for a few days. They seemed interesting. Today, I was there to buy sea scallops for dinner and thought I would give them a try.

IMG_0571.thumb.JPG.683365f170a8ac6b6b23f4caa16a0a7b.JPG

The flavor was good, but the meat stuck to the inside of the shells so much, that I knew Deb would lose patience and quickly tire of them, so they were delisted from any future menu. After vacuuming up the mess and shaking out the table linen, I decided to fetch a bit of Scandinavian Courage from the far reaches of the freezer to set things right.

HC

IMG_0574.thumb.JPG.ecead755b84f5cd67e4574acfb3297c3.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

Yesterday my good friend and I took a day trip North to a lovely town that boasts a popular quilt shop for an hour or so of fabric shopping.  It was a beautiful day and the first time I’ve had a real outing since my surgery nearly six weeks ago.  Of course, the scenery is something to be seen to be believed!  

I've been semi confined to home (self-imposed) recovering, which took a lot longer than I had thought it would.

We had a great time and since she drove I bought lunch.  We stopped at a beautiful resort that has a very nice Western decor restaurant.  We each had their prime rib dip sandwich and cole slaw along with a Corona for me, soda for her (non-drinker).

No big fabric purchases, just a few small items.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 6

ALDI smoked Brat :

BB1.thumb.jpg.2fa9109a7c51a059a131ed7f12ef8057.jpg

right out of the pack

BB2.thumb.jpg.f60bacd7c4424278a48100559101429c.jpg

Micro'd 45 sec .  Note it plumped up !

Torch Charred w spicy brown mustard :

BB3.thumb.jpg.ac4351d866ca7065dfa2075fa7e3f42b.jpg

Lunch in less than a Minute

and very tasty .

also a bonus :  a weeks worth of NaCl dans le plate !

I can check that box right off !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

Today for lunch, something new to us from our Indian cookbook. Fried Salmon with Cilantro-Yogurt sauce. That is a simple title for a very complex flavor dish, the salmon was marinated in a cilantro + ginger + hot chile + spices mix, 1/2 of the mix was mixed with yogurt and forms the sauce. We had basmati rice with it which really helps. The salmon was super flavorful.

20190714_114502.thumb.jpg.33e3c3c20f3edec5b54c225e2f2199e8.jpg

P.S. We made a lot more salmon then this, but I don't like to crowd the plate.  We ate it all.

Edited by Raamo (log)
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, BonVivant said:

Beetroot-cured salmon belly

3F11INl.jpg

Herring and scrambled eggs on bread

OfsWi9q.jpg

Very soft cheese

kLBV2R9.jpg

Gp3KAye.jpg

I love the pork.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1/2 sandwich - toasted whole wheat, Miracle Whip, turkey, Finlandia lacey swiss and well cooked bacon.  Side of sliced tomatoes.

Just the right amount.

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Monday is usually the day that my friends and I all go to lunch together.  Our favorite café caught fire in December and we were assured that it would be back in business in short order.  However, my belief is that because the owners had done little to nothing in the way of fire prevention (no sprinkler system or even smoke detectors) that they took a big hit from the insurance company.  They have decided not to re-open.  I am so sad because this was our favorite spot.  The food was very good, the service as well and it had a certain atmosphere that we really enjoyed.  Now we meet up at a few different but similar places.  Yesterday was another café in the same area with good food, friendly service and a fantastic salad bar.

One friend and I had the Reuben, one had the cheeseburger special and one had the taco salad.  All declared very good.

Since I also had a big salad I brought home half of my Reuben which I'll enjoy today for lunch.

• Like 3

Gp3KAye.jpg

Edited by suzilightning
TO ADD love the pig but WHAT kind of tomtoes are thse? I want them. They look exquisite (log)
  • Like 2

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I was making a fruit crisp to use up some peaches, blueberries and blackberries that had been around on the edge of too long. Had too much fruit for the deep dish pie pan, so...

20190718_140422.thumb.jpg.601c50f430bad4ffe80d6c6542d7ece6.jpg

Fruit and cottage cheese for lunch.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

So with this beastly heat got up early … 0430 or so... 

split a pound of ground bison in half after sautéing it with some Vidalia onion.

half had sautéed yellow and orange peppers added and with some spices, tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce became a sloppy joe for lunch

the other half has been made into taco meat for snacking and lunch over the next few days

• Like 2

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Post-doctor appt lunch at the pharmacy (reminded me of the same kind of lunch counter lunches with my mom when I was a kid).  I had breakfast:

IMG_0014.JPG.4e3c213fa8ff68abb55ae8f170af19c0.JPG

nice hashbrowns, properly toasted rye, and OM eggs.  All good and it wasn't until I was full that I realized they'd forgotten my bacon.  ☹️  Mr. Kim had a lovely club:

IMG_0013.JPG.580822369a780668c0cf7234c5683a2c.JPG

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1