• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2019

liuzhou

Lunch was a fridge dive.   Came up to the surface with Red and Dino kale and 3 blood oranges which I sectioned.   Chopped the kale and sautéed it with a smidge of oil then added a little water to steam it tender.  Finished with the juice of  sectioned oranges.  Plated with the  oranges on top.   Got a good dose of Vitamin A, C, K and lutein.  Eye healthy 

• Like 2

Rifling through the freezer to make space, I came across a mystery container that turned out to be Meurette sauce.   Woohoo!      Meurette sauce is, essentially, beef stew without the beef.    Roughly, it's bacon, carrots, onion, garlic, red wine, broth, thyme, bay leaf all reduced down to a saucy stew, enriched with a chunk of butter.    Served with a poached egg(s).    Oeufs en meurette!     One of my favorite dishes.   And today, an unexpectedly fine lunch.

photo.thumb.JPG.784db47e4309b3f1e0ad0398793a56e7.JPG

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 2

eGullet member #80.

4 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Rifling through the freezer to make space, I came across a mystery container that turned out to be Meurette sauce.  

Wow!  I must admit this is new to me but I could certainly fall in love with it I am sure.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

7 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Wow!  I must admit this is new to me but I could certainly fall in love with it I am sure.

Anna, I think you would.  So I don't lead you astray, Here         is closer to the real deal.    I personally don't like to poach the egg in wine.   I prefer to taste a good egg in the good sauce.   Enjoy!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

eGullet member #80.

@Margaret Pilgrim

It is all coming back to me now. I would sing that for you but I can’t carry a tune.

Edited by Anna N
Suffering from a very slow and awkward Wi-Fi hook up which seems to change everything I do and never saved anything important. (log)
  • Haha 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Today my girlfriend and I went to Mambo’s Seafood in Houston.

266A9E2B-A2E5-46E1-B8AC-07CB2E0A82C6.thumb.jpeg.21fff5de0a42324fe7d06890ad289433.jpeg

I had the Grilled Tilapia with Shrimp Mambo Rice and Grilled Veggies with a Potato and Street Corn

B88E2B5B-235D-4336-8DD9-CAC6D7D436F0.thumb.jpeg.d8059763a82bce3b66810b096377a15a.jpeg

My friend had the Sautéed Shrimp in Mambo Chipotle Sauce and the same sides.

F2BB1A67-C250-4855-B38C-19A957D45CED.thumb.jpeg.c237800b5f97837f7bdcb6ff976627be.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Roasted Eggplant Pizza with Za'atar & Feta from Milk Street Tuesday Nights.

1254359975_IMG_1067(1).thumb.jpg.697103d2a8533589a34a28cb7dcfcdef.jpg

Roasting the sliced eggplant while the pizza steel heats up is a nice touch. I used ~ 1/2 the amount of salt called for but with the feta, the pizza was still too salty. 

I found it curious that the pizza section of the book leads off with a comment that store-bought dough is sometimes half-hearted in flavor but no recipe for homemade dough is provided or recommended.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I found it curious that the pizza section of the book leads off with a comment that store-bought dough is sometimes half-hearted in flavor but no recipe for homemade dough is provided or recommended.

Yes. A number of reviewers made the same observation. I couldn’t quite believe it. I recalled seeing photographs  hands shaping the dough into a circle so I was quite sure there must be a recipe. I had to look more than once to convince myself that there was not!

Edited by Anna N
To change reviews to reviewers (log)
  • Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Papusas at the Laney Flea Market, Oakland.    New people (located parallel to street, between Freda Kahlo booth and coffee stand).    Cheese, bean and cheese or cheese and "flor de loroco", a pickled green flower.    Served with traditional cabbage salad and tomato sauce or spicy sauce.   

I chose bean and cheese with hot sauce

1558855728_photo1-2.thumb.JPG.a599320a904076a4bc1e69ddee42c82b.JPG

DH had cheese and loroco and an horchata.

$8 total

I think these were some of the best papusas I've had.   Thin crusts, almost flaky, not greasy, not heavy.    Will return.

• Like 11

eGullet member #80.

Not quite as picturesque, but needed to eat lunch "al desko" today and one of the people in my office is a Chick Fil A addict, so...grilled chicken wrap. The dressing is pretty tasty, the sandwich was made to order (lettuce was crisp and cold, outer wrap not dried out). It is probably the only fast food I'll eat.

IMG_20190709_123543.jpg

• Like 4

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

11 hours ago, HungryChris said:

This is perhaps my favorite way to eat steak, sliced in a cold sandwich the next day.

HC

IMG_0541.thumb.JPG.1c8e437957fea3298a34830268113bb9.JPGIMG_0539.thumb.JPG.20792c84e9228c0fa404194595c2dc84.JPG

Interesting point.    I too love cold steak, which makes super marbled beef problematic.    Those dissolving points of fat that are so delicious when a steak is served hot/warm become, to me, disgusting globs of cold tallow when cold.    A happy medium, perhaps? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

eGullet member #80.

9 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Interesting point.    I too love cold steak, which makes super marbled beef problematic.    Those dissolving points of fat that are so delicious when a steak is served hot/warm become, to me, disgusting globs of cold tallow when cold.    A happy medium, perhaps? 

I do try to remove as much of the fat as I can as I trim up the steak for the sandwich into wide strips that are as thin as I can get them.

HC

2 hours ago, HungryChris said:

I do try to remove as much of the fat as I can as I trim up the steak for the sandwich into wide strips that are as thin as I can get them.

HC

No, no, it's not the edge fat that bothers me and, yes, it's easy to remove.   it is the interior fat that's a problem when cold..

65740565_Screenshot2019-07-11at7_01_16AM.png.d43b47ea8baf91f3d008dc7e931d82d7.png

We have two wonderful butcher shops in our neighborhood.    They specialize in prime beef.    i no longer buy much from them anymore because their meat is just too rich for us.  

eGullet member #80.

7 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

No, no, it's not the edge fat that bothers me and, yes, it's easy to remove.   it is the interior fat that's a problem when cold..

65740565_Screenshot2019-07-11at7_01_16AM.png.d43b47ea8baf91f3d008dc7e931d82d7.png

We have two wonderful butcher shops in our neighborhood.    They specialize in prime beef.    i no longer buy much from them anymore because their meat is just too rich for us.  

Granted, I would be quite reluctant to want to eat a steak that well marbled, cold. I rather doubt there would be any leftovers with a steak like that served hot.

HC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Back to mere mortal food, another delicious stop at our sweet taco truck, Waterloo Road, Stockton, CA.

1563294152_Screenshot2019-07-11at7_17_16AM.png.8a18bf32f604693a02a053b6251abe70.png

Same super delightful young women.    My order of Tripas made them very happy.   DH's burrito bowl (tortilla-less burrito) was huge and satisfying.  My two tacos, divine.    Huge pile of grilled sweet onions with each.    Simple pleasures.

153655844_Screenshot2019-07-11at7_10_47AM.png.517b042d73f03e59ace7461ed725fcfa.png

• Like 6

eGullet member #80.

"Cold pink cucumber soup", that's what the menu said.   But I didn't expect it to be quite this pink.    Wonderfully refreshing.   I thought longingly of it one rare 100degree day and called the restaurant.    The kind and bemused chef shared the concept of his soup.    Essentially, cold borscht.

Beets, cucumbers, beef broth, sour cream, dill.    Served with more sour cream and fresh dill.   

One of my workhorses for hot weather lunch.

183878683_photo4.thumb.JPG.a6f03e8eb37fa4d48848fbff08f4f1fe.JPG

• Like 3

eGullet member #80.