• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2019

liuzhou

Today, I ignored the work I was meant to be doing and went lunch shopping instead, intending to cook. Right by the entrance to the supermarket is a Japanese conveyor belt place. It is Chinese owned and operated. Not super quality, but adequate. Laziness prevailed,, lunch cooking forgotten  and the shopping was temporarily abandoned.

20190515_122738.thumb.jpg.536573a32685624634287af09beef9d2.jpg

Shrimp sushi. There were  two, but I ate one before remembering to take a picture.

20190515_124324.thumb.jpg.46e933e7340057d490901c9373c9dcbb.jpg

Tuna sashimi. The lighting was a bit odd. It looked normal, honestly.

20190515_122822.thumb.jpg.a187c67f8b57b9d842cc2bb526fc3390.jpg

Salmon sushi 6 ways. I'm not a fan of mayo on sushi, especially sweet Kewpie!

20190515_123449.thumb.jpg.1a0a54349db983bf468d5909110825d4.jpg

Scallop sushi. The best thing I ate.

20190515_124220.thumb.jpg.3ef6b736d7c035dcb98170229fce1ae1.jpg

Tuna sashimi. Again, I ate one slice before taking the picture.

Cost the equivalent of USD 15.50.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Out and about today, so I treated myself to another sample of the great barbecue with which we're blessed here. This is a "pig plate," specifically the "child adult" size, which I kinda thought was appropriate, at the Dixie Pig in Blytheville, another Delta institution.

20190516_122352.thumb.jpg.184b4b110005abd372a43688862f98a0.jpg

An oddity in barbecue-dom, it offers salad instead of slaw. 

• Like 8

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

14 hours ago, kayb said:

Out and about today, so I treated myself to another sample of the great barbecue with which we're blessed here. This is a "pig plate," specifically the "child adult" size, which I kinda thought was appropriate, at the Dixie Pig in Blytheville, another Delta institution.

20190516_122352.thumb.jpg.184b4b110005abd372a43688862f98a0.jpg

An oddity in barbecue-dom, it offers salad instead of slaw. 

The salad was the first thing I noticed!  "....the HELL???".  Then I noticed the other oddity in barbecue-dom - what looks like fresh cut fries!  Wow!  I've never had excellent pig (which it looks like that is) with anything but from-frozen fries.  I love frozen fries, so that's fine.  I'm still boggling at the salad, though.  😄

• Like 1

They were, in fact, fresh-cut fries. I do love me a nice crispy crinkle-cut frozen fry, but these were cooked VERY well. Right ratio of crisp to creamy. And yes, it was very good pig. Not the best I've ever had, but very good.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Lunch out with friends.

Home style Palestinian food.

Zucchini with warm lemony yogurt, over rice.

Wild Gundelia (Akkub) with chickpeas.

Wild fennel with lentils.

Arayas with tahini (somewhat overcooked and short on the filling).

Vegetarian kibbeh siniya. Eggplants, tomatoes and other veggies between twp layers of crisp/crunchy bulgur.

Shishbarak - meat filled dumpling in savory yogurt sauce.

IMG_20190424_153558.jpg

IMG_20190424_153602.jpgIMG_20190424_153607.jpg

IMG_20190424_153609.jpg

IMG_20190424_153819.jpg

IMG_20190424_153835_1.jpg

IMG_20190424_154806.jpg

IMG_20190424_155206.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

Working lunch at Kuerle, Xinjiang province. 

Kaobaozi (baked meat pies filled with braised fatty lamb with coriander & pepper) & Liang Pi (cold noodles in spicy & vinegary soup with cucumber & wheat gluten).

329C1C87-6AAF-4C05-8B38-485B5071DE53.thumb.jpeg.2889ead4486dbcf4d508b1af2cca65fa.jpeg

2840915D-7958-464A-A9AA-69960191117E.jpeg

• Like 10

Lunch today was one of the strangest I've ever had.

Back story: In the centre of the city, near my home, is a government owned 5-star hotel. It's not difficult to get 5 stars when the owners are the star issuing authority! The hotel has hosted almost every Chinese government leader except Mao and the current President, Xi Jingping (so far). I dislike the place and especially its "western restaurant" staffed by charming wait staff and chefs who've never eaten western food, but once saw a picture. They specialize in steaks, which they serve with a tiny scattering of parsley, shredded carrot and a flower, but no carbs. Order fries separately and they usually arrive ten minutes before your steak or ten minutes after. They also specialize in rip-off prices.

A few days ago, I had a call from a friend who explained that the hotel wanted to make an advertisement to be aired on in-flight videos to and from the city. For some reason, they decided that it would be good to have a foreigner in their movie.. As one of the very few western foreigners in town and the one who has been here by far the longest, I was volunteered. Again!

So I spent the morning pretending to be playing tennis, a game I haven't played since high school in the middle of last century and sucked at then. After that, at around 11 am headed  to the "western restaurant" for lunch. While waiting for the various camera men, lighting people and the director to do what people like them do, I was beginning to get hungry. A bowl of soup turned up. Borscht. I will never understand why every Chinese "western restaurant" serves this. There is no beetroot here. Why choose to serve a dish you don't have the main, signature ingredient for? I know the answer. They only saw a picture and saw it was red! Tomato soup is Borscht!

2.thumb.jpg.717049aa896195ab32b41ae9f9581526.jpg

I was instructed that I could eat this while they got ready. They weren't going to film me eating fake borscht. To accompany my soup they brought me a bowl of fruit salad slathered with Kewpie sweet mayonnaise. Of course.

1.thumb.jpg.7c8c3ba7f8dc3156bcd0ea6e78bfb11e.jpg

I ate a little of the soup and ignored the salad as all sensible people would. Then my steak arrived.

Or did it? The waitress with my meal hovered in sight while, for a long time, the film crew fiddled with their dials before the director yelled the Chinese equivalent of "Action" . The young waitress placed the steak, which was served on a cutting board, in front of me. I smiled and said "Thank you!"

The director yelled "Cut!" and said "One more time". Waitress took away my untouched meal, they fiddled dials a bit more and we went for take two. And three. And four. And five. And six. All the while my steak was getting cold. Finally, director was satisfied and I was allowed to actually eat the damn thing that had been tantalizing me for so long. I'd quite lost my appetite.

3.thumb.jpg.20aace7f3fcdac825d6fc5ac4fc34474.jpg

The picture shows half my 'meal'.  I wasn't about to waste more time taking a picture until I'd eaten some.

To be fair, they had obviously picked the best steak they could find (I didn't get to choose) and it had been cooked exactly as I had requested (I was allowed to do that) - medium rare. Unfortunately, unlike the poor waitress, it had been rested so long before I got my fork to my mouth that it was no longer as pink as when it left the kitchen. Residual heat. However it was tender and reasonably tasty.

Then  I went home and had a huge cheese sandwich with lettuce and tomato. A CLT.

Look out for me at the next Oscars ceremony!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 8

Smoked fish

eHOj2XG.jpg

Ii8WuiL.jpg

20v7VKV.jpg

Cooked in cream is always nice when one does not have bbq weather (and it's almost June!).

OnlTBcN.jpg

VrgMjaH.jpg

Rosette de Lyon because I have many hanging in the house. And I made a mess whilst transfering the eggs to the plate. Clumsy perfectionist.

Ky0wS3K.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HungryChris said:

Mortadella and marinated zucchini ribbons on rye.

HC

I'll see your rye and raise you marbled rye with turkey, aged provolone, bacon and miracle whip with a cranberry relish(Dickinson's).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I've been a little under the weather the last couple of days - stinking cold - and not had much appetite or energy to cook, but today I had a craving for a burger. I had no intention of going shopping, so made do with what I had at home; some pork. lettuce and tomato. No onion.

Here it is uncapped. I chopped the pork finely with the two cleaver technique, salted it and added generous amounts of chilli flakes then let it sit for an hour in the fridge.

It did the trick.

burger.thumb.jpg.8f3fa670e7b67971600d1455dac8b92d.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

4 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I've been a little under the weather the last couple of days - stinking cold - and not had much appetite or energy to cook, but today I had a craving for a burger. I had no intention of going shopping, so made do with what I had at home; some pork. lettuce and tomato. No onion.

Here it is uncapped. I chopped the pork finely with the two cleaver technique, salted it and added generous amounts of chilli flakes then let it sit for an hour in the fridge.

It did the trick.

burger.thumb.jpg.8f3fa670e7b67971600d1455dac8b92d.jpg

Sorry you are not feeling well, @liuzhou!  Hope all that spicy stuff you love helps!  

• Like 2

I feel like my lunches are seriously humble compared to what you guys are eating!

Nevertheless: honey-smoked jamón de fiambre on marbled quinua and rye, with butter lettuce and tomato, and achogcha-tamarillo relish. My own bread, and one that's fast becoming a favourite.

IMG_20190529_115415.jpg

IMG_20190529_115421.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)