• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2019

liuzhou

There is a chain that has a couple of locations not far from my office called Naf Naf Grill...they serve falafel, chicken shawarma, or steak kebabs in bowls, platters, or pitas. Pretty small menu, not many condiments, but the falafel is fresh, crunchy and tasty, gobbled a pita with falafel/baba ganoush/chopped salad/pickles/tahini after a meeting.

• Like 3

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

1 hour ago, BeeZee said:

There is a chain that has a couple of locations not far from my office called Naf Naf Grill...they serve falafel, chicken shawarma, or steak kebabs in bowls, platters, or pitas. Pretty small menu, not many condiments, but the falafel is fresh, crunchy and tasty, gobbled a pita with falafel/baba ganoush/chopped salad/pickles/tahini after a meeting.

geez.... how come you and Dennis of Dennis and Judy have all the GOOD stuff down near you in south Jersey?!

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Took this weird, but delicious dish to our church potluck on Sunday:

DSCN9205.JPG.cb99bad5b2735c8648b6d505f926e618.JPG

Apple/manchego cheese/marcona almonds dressed with poppyseed dressing.  .  Everyone who was brave enough to try it loved it and took seconds.  Mr. Kim took the leftovers to work today and no one would try it.😒

• Like 9

13 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Took this weird, but delicious dish to our church potluck on Sunday:

DSCN9205.JPG.cb99bad5b2735c8648b6d505f926e618.JPG

Apple/manchego cheese/marcona almonds dressed with poppyseed dressing.  .  Everyone who was brave enough to try it loved it and took seconds.  Mr. Kim took the leftovers to work today and no one would try it.😒

'F 'em.  send it up here and put some roasted chicken breast in......upscale Waldorf salad.

• Like 1

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

We went for Lunch at a newish 'Asian Australian Fusion Japanese Restaurant' - mouthful, specifically because I have wanted to try the Korean Fried Chicken. 

My husband tried the Snowing Cutlet (pork and cheese) and I took 95% of the chicken home. It was beautifully crunchy - I was just reminded, as always, that I cannot eat Chicken on the bone. 

My husband helped remind with the rolled eyes of exasperation and the not quite quiet enough muttering of "Twat" 🤣

20190217_194059.thumb.jpg.944ebb48259f4da6248743b8b7444d22.jpg

20190217_194312.thumb.jpg.e4b667613f50589aab8975348319f49c.jpg

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

The massive presence of American military is a contentious issue in Okinawa, but the locals don't mind American(-style) food. You'll find taco rice even on far-flung islands (0where I visited).

D0IISJq.jpg

Beef chanpuru.

ik2Jfoy.jpg

Mine at home: pistachio sauce for the raw vegs.

qZr4vLW.jpg

Home-cured meat and fish.

iucc7E1.jpg

5w2aDSr.jpg

tfRfrsJ.jpg

• Like 9

9D0D488D-032A-48B5-8127-E6AC653C6152.thumb.jpeg.be3d6bc0a27d4827042b460805090470.jpeg

Leftovers from dinner.

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Falafel sandwich from a food truck in Austin, TX area. It was not Israeli, so it differed in two ways from what I am used to...one, they used a bread which had sesame seeds and was a crescent shape so it was more substantial than pita, and two, instead if tahini the dressing was turmeric-y and maybe a little mustard. The falafel themselves were cooked to order and crisp, but pretty lacking in flavor.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

@Kim Shook

I'm not sure if the confusion is for my inability to eat chicken on the bone but ordering it at least once a year 'just in case I've changed' or the restaurant... 

In case its the restaurant. Yeah it was confusing. Describes itself as a Japanese restaurant, but its top selling item is Korean fried Chicken, and it promotes 'Australian Fusion'  - which apparently that means everything on the is basically a Schnitzel with occasionally Asian influenced toppings 🤦‍♀️🤷‍♀️ To be fair they are being fairly brave considering their geographical location. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

@Kim Shook

I'm not sure if the confusion is for my inability to eat chicken on the bone but ordering it at least once a year 'just in case I've changed' or the restaurant... 

In case its the restaurant. Yeah it was confusing. Describes itself as a Japanese restaurant, but its top selling item is Korean fried Chicken, and it promotes 'Australian Fusion'  - which apparently that means everything on the is basically a Schnitzel with occasionally Asian influenced toppings 🤦‍♀️🤷‍♀️ To be fair they are being fairly brave considering their geographical location. 

😊Confusion was about chicken on the bone.  What about that bothers you?  And can you cut it off the bone and then eat it?  Is it the feel of the bone on your teeth or just the boniness of them?  Can you eat other meats off the bone.  I promise there is NO criticism here - I'm really just curious.  I have a SIL who won't eat chicken off the bone lest she come across a vein, so I was wondering if it is the same kind of thing.  

I sometimes have an issue with eating chicken off the bone because it has a stronger flavor and I am concerned with it not being cooked enough near the bone. I don’t eat much meat, so I need it to be pretty benign, if that makes sense.

• Like 1

C1B17AE1-064D-4842-B170-BEFCDA832B11.thumb.jpeg.33ef95be4eb87900996d79806b6c1ef3.jpeg

Omurice:   Fried rice stuffed omelet.

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Sloppy joe - ground meat NOT NJ version - on a squishy whole wheat roll with a nice salad of red leaf lettuce, tomatoes, cukes and pickly things and a sesame vinaigrette.  Just the right amount.

• Like 3

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

4 hours ago, BeeZee said:

I sometimes have an issue with eating chicken off the bone because it has a stronger flavor and I am concerned with it not being cooked enough near the bone. I don’t eat much meat, so I need it to be pretty benign, if that makes sense.

It makes sense to me. Undercooked poultry--just the idea of it--makes me ill. But I don't think it being on the bone is the reason; grilled wings are rarely undercooked. And If you braise chicken pieces in a liquid base they tend to get well cooked and remain tender and juicy. I think the most common reason that chicken on the bone is undercooked is that when roasting a whole chicken people can be so worried that the breast will be dry they don't cook the bird long enough to thoroughly cook the dark meat. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@BeeZee

Austin, TX ?

Tang , like Astronaut Tang ?

like the Mango .

Yep, Austin, TX, and Tang, the astronaut stuff...it actually cuts the sweetness and enhances the mango flavor!

Lunch today was a package of Lance cheese toasts, a Butterfinger and a Diet Coke. 

I hate there-and-back-in-a-hurry road trips.

(Dinner was Scotch, potato chips and a coconut macaroon.)

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

18 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I'm really just curious. 

Honestly I think its a learned behaviour. I don't know why but the feeling of hitting something hard with my teeth when I wasn't expecting it just sets off some weird unnecessary revulsion reaction. It annoys me to no end - I can quite happily peel all the meat off with my fingers and eat it that way I just didn't think it was a good look in a restaurant with nowhere to dip my fingers , one serviette and half an hour before a soccer carnival! 😁
And yes, it's pretty much all meat, whole fish is out for me 😔 If I hit a bit of gristle in a Sausage the meals over - despite the fact I know exactly whats in the lower quality ones and have no issue with it.  

• Thanks 1