• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2019

liuzhou

9 hours ago, robirdstx said:

Back on Bolivar on Thursday with Lunch at the Stingaree Restaurant in Crystal Beach. They have a new lunch menu that offers Fish Tacos (I chose Grilled) with One Side (I chose their Green Beans which are cooked with onion and bacon).

Winner Winner on your lunch: green beans with bacon and grilled fish!

• Like 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

What to eat when temperature outside is -25 C with windchill -31C?

A big bowl of Hot'n'Sour soup!

1443425531_HotnSourSoup8309.jpg.4e310a2e1eb4ce79c55f8022760ae8ca.jpg

• Like 13

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

78B9BCD6-8555-4E6E-AF6B-43A7E37EFC28.thumb.jpeg.63213190d97fc985f9af9d45d8a33130.jpeg

Chopped salad with a wasabi dressing, leftover chicken thigh, onigiri with aornori  and some gherkins. 

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

20190126_135319.thumb.jpg.149fd513b0d5c940c6a048ec815e5df1.jpg

Counterclockwise from 12 o'clock, St Andre, Robusto, Jarlsberg, High Plains Cheddar, Welsh cheddar, sweet gherkins, preserved walnuts, Castelvetrano olives, capicolla, salami. The fruit of going to the grocery yesterday when I was hungry.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Fresh rice noodles in chicken stock with garlic, chilli, ginger, white pepper and a splash of rice wine vinegar. Shanghai bok choy. Pan fried pork tenderloin with black pepper. Two bowls were had.

noodles1.thumb.jpg.e8be3829821efbb6fabfb576c57e95ed.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 11

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

My one and only lunch in Al Hoceima (I was sick). This was at the fishing port where there are fish restaurants. I could order beer here.

7gC6SfR.jpg

Lunches at home.

h60ZFzk.jpg

Noodles already have prawn roe in them but you can't really taste much.

9emGc9y.jpg

Prawn roe I brought back from Hong Kong. Enough for many noodle meals.

B8GXDJb.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 1

A chicken leg and a reheated twice-baked collard potato with pickled collard stems from Deep Run Roots.

484650714_IMG_0067(2).thumb.jpg.5389e7b023248e915ccdd11e23721891.jpg 

The chicken was the Buttermilk-Marinated Roast Chicken from Samin Nosrat's Salt Fat, Acid Heat. The skin gets very dark but the meat is super moist. The recipe is available online here on the website from her TV show. 

IMG_0065.thumb.jpg.782f8db1440ca45ce0565b3f8a20e939.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

more of a long ago forgotten snack than lunch....

cooked some basmati and jasmine rice to make shrimp fried rice for John's dinner IF he makes it home.  popped upstairs with fresh laundry as it was finished then, before I put it into the fridge to cool, scooped up about a quarter cup, topped it with about a teaspoon of butter and the same amount of toast dope and ate it.   

many, many years ago growing up our "dinner" was a cup of rice with butter and sugar as we had had our main meal about 1 pm.

• Like 5

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Quick throw together lunch: Bay scallops and small shrimp, diced bacon, chopped cauliflower, chicken stock, and a dash of cream, all thickened with a pinch of guar gum = chowder!

Had lots of fresh dill on hand, and my bowl was a lot greener than this one - for hubby!

1395258807_SeafoodChowder8331.jpg.6158cc88b61348730671b1d1bf86f8a9.jpg

• Like 11

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

This is possibly as "authentic" as Icelandic curried kangaroo.

Chinese linguine con vongole. The clams are cooked with garlic, ginger, chilli, salted black beans and Shaoxing wine. Finished with chopped garlic shoots.

The linguine is Italian.

20190201_202037.thumb.jpg.afaeef85744253d29b1fb605673a7239.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Crossed the border into Spanish territory in North Africa. Melilla looks and feels almost like anywhere in Spain. After 3 weeks in Morocco I almost forgot what a developed country is like. Even the Spanish looked at us. Not many tourists go to Nador, Morocco, and fewer make it to Melilla. The contrast between Spain and Morocco is strong, unfortunately the bad air quality remains the same.

Cv6VMVJ.jpg

kgHJkEy.jpg

My  lunches at home.

344TO9u.jpg

FrqzhrB.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 11

A dish that is traditionally served during Chinese New Year, but I saw beautiful daikon and thoughts of tang yuen have been swirling in my head!

A sweet version of Tang Yuen is usually served when the family gathers, but my family prefer the savory kind.  My Mom used to make this as a treat and not just for New Year.

The dumplings are made with  glutinous rice flour and rather bland, but all the other ingredients make them fun to eat. Hubby can handle 3 or 4 dumplings, so I usually put up some noodles as well for him. My kids say "They stick in my craw"!

Tang Yuen 8374.jpg

Tang Yuen 8375.jpg

Tang Yuen8372.jpg

Edited by Dejah (log)
  • Like 10

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

P.S.:

ive seen people and have known some who eat there Burgers

UpSideDown.

you pick up the burger w your thumb on the top of the plate presentation 

your other fingers underneath that Presentation

then as you move that Bundle of Deliciousness 

to your Boca :

the thumbs are on the lower aspic , and the rest of the fingers on on the top

Beets me if an advantage is gained.

Im sure  Researchers here on eG will be

On Top of this.

soon

On 2/2/2019 at 4:14 AM, liuzhou said:

This is possibly as "authentic" as Icelandic curried kangaroo.

Chinese linguine con vongole. The clams are cooked with garlic, ginger, chilli, salted black beans and Shaoxing wine. Finished with chopped garlic shoots.

The linguine is Italian.

I once (as a joke) did moose curry over couscous for Canada Day, so why not?

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning