• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Kim Shook

Kim Shook

@robirdstx – I noticed on your burger wrapper that it says “Frozen Custard”.  I am a custard fanatic and will choose it over any ice cream/froyo/gelato anywhere.  But sometimes I find that it is really just soft serve and NOT true frozen custard.  How is the custard at Freddy’s?  Because I notice that they have one in Fredericksburg VA – not too far to go for really good custard.

@blue_dolphin – lovely looking TJ’s potato pancakes.  Certainly better looking that mine ever are.  I’ll have to look for them.

Lunch (brunch) after church yesterday with Mr. Kim.  He found a new (to us) place he thought I'd like:

sunbrunch7.thumb.jpg.a870de175b6f7cffe549e425b5567ced.jpg

The couple who started this place have a fascinating backstory.  They have a successful Brooklyn restaurant and decided that they wanted to start one here, where neither of them is from.  We really enjoyed the meal and the staff and the feel of the place and plan to go back.  It really is one of those places that you wish you lived close to.  We live out in the suburbs and always planned on moving back into the city neighborhood that we love when Jessica got out of school and the neighborhood priced themselves right out of our range!  

Bread service:

sunbrunch5.jpg.7400ada8f9b4d98f031c5bf2cbf521ac.jpg

Bottom piece was focaccia and the bean thing had olive oil, herbs, and red pepper flakes besides the (slightly too al dente) beans.  

I had the Chicken Parmigiano with spaghetti pomodoro:

sunbrunch3.jpg.683e85be0cd5fd72feb3dd12ab4c4c69.jpg

So perfectly classic and SO good.  The chicken was a beautifully pounded out paillard – very tender. 

Mr. Kim had the Eggs Polenta:

sunbrunch4.jpg.fbf2e01b0bf8ce849a1a7266d258769c.jpg

Poached eggs w/ shaved fennel, prosciutto di Parma and Parmigiano:

sunbrunch2.jpg.f66e636cb31b95d6e97ac608f321b5a6.jpg

It was a great combination and tasted lovely. 

We had no interest in dessert.  Then we saw that the servers were carrying around a large copper saucepan full of chocolate sauce and ladling it over various desserts.  We got vanilla gelato:

sunbrunch.jpg.bbe27935b83ff56bfe6d12e2e5df0620.jpg

Today (because I forgot that I had the other half of my chicken Parm and spaghetti in the fridge ☹️), I had frozen shrimp and some copy-cat Bang-Bang sauce for dipping:

DSCN0432.JPG.ecb5f58baec5c863158a5819950af5cb.JPG

Kim Shook

Kim Shook

@robirdstx – I noticed on your burger wrapper that it says “Frozen Custard”.  I am a custard fanatic and will choose it over any ice cream/froyo/gelato anywhere.  But sometimes I find that it is really just soft serve and NOT true frozen custard.  How is the custard at Freddy’s?  Because I notice that they have one in Fredericksburg VA – not too far to go for really good custard.

@blue_dolphin – lovely looking TJ’s potato pancakes.  Certainly better looking that mine ever are.  I’ll have to look for them.Lunch (brunch) after church yesterday with Mr. Kim.  He found a new (to us) place he thought I'd like:

sunbrunch7.thumb.jpg.a870de175b6f7cffe549e425b5567ced.jpg

The couple who started this place have a fascinating backstory.  They have a successful Brooklyn restaurant and decided that they wanted to start one here, where neither of them is from.  We really enjoyed the meal and the staff and the feel of the place and plan to go back.  It really is one of those places that you wish you lived close to.  We live out in the suburbs and always planned on moving back into the city neighborhood that we love when Jessica got out of school and the neighborhood priced themselves right out of our range!  

Bread service:

sunbrunch5.jpg.7400ada8f9b4d98f031c5bf2cbf521ac.jpg

Bottom piece was focaccia and the bean thing had olive oil, herbs, and red pepper flakes besides the (slightly too al dente) beans.  

I had the Chicken Parmigiano with spaghetti pomodoro:

sunbrunch3.jpg.683e85be0cd5fd72feb3dd12ab4c4c69.jpg

So perfectly classic and SO good.  The chicken was a beautifully pounded out paillard – very tender. 

Mr. Kim had the Eggs Polenta:

sunbrunch4.jpg.fbf2e01b0bf8ce849a1a7266d258769c.jpg

Poached eggs w/ shaved fennel, prosciutto di Parma and Parmigiano:

sunbrunch2.jpg.f66e636cb31b95d6e97ac608f321b5a6.jpg

It was a great combination and tasted lovely. 

We had no interest in dessert.  Then we saw that the servers were carrying around a large copper saucepan full of chocolate sauce and ladling it over various desserts.  We got vanilla gelato:

sunbrunch.jpg.bbe27935b83ff56bfe6d12e2e5df0620.jpg

Today (because I forgot that I had the other half of my chicken Parm and spaghetti in the fridge ☹️), I had frozen shrimp and some copy-cat Bang-Bang sauce for dipping:

DSCN0432.JPG.ecb5f58baec5c863158a5819950af5cb.JPG