• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Franci

Franci

48 minutes ago, Alex said:

The cha shao looks wonderful. Could you share or provide a link to the recipe you use?

Look for Andrea Nguyen char siu, in google you can easily find it (if in my house I use the cantonese spelling they put me at the door). I used her quantities, only difference is that I use 2 tablespoons of honey instead of 3 and I added 1 teaspoon salt. Also I’ve used in the past Whole Foods Hoisin sauce and I didn’t like it. Last 2 times I used San J hoisin sauce and much better flavor I found.  I used pork butt cut into 4 large pieces. Cooked at 375F convection for 20 minutes, turned, 20 minutes more. Than basted 3 times with some of the marinate, broiler low, turning pieces every 8 minutes. 

Franci

Franci

33 minutes ago, Alex said:

The cha shao looks wonderful. Could you share or provide a link to the recipe you use?

Look for Andrea Nguyen char siu, in google you can easily find it (if in my house I use the cantonese spelling the put me at the door). I used her quantities, only difference is that I use 2 tablespoons of honey instead of 3 and I added 1 teaspoon salt. Also I’ve used in the past Whole Foods Hoisin sauce and I didn’t like it. Last 2 times I used San J hoisin sauce and much better flavor I found.  I used pork butt cut into 4 large pieces. Cooked at 375F convection for 20 minutes, turned, 20 minutes more. Than basted 3 times with some of the marinate, broiler low, turning pieces every 8 minutes.