• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

to add peeling note

1 hour ago, MelissaH said:

Which way did you prefer? Or, is the baked at least acceptable?

Preference-wise, I'll give a slight edge to frying as it produced a more delicately crisp coating while baked was a bit more crunchy.  Both had a nice contrast between the panko coating and creamy interior.  

After tasting the first batch, I decided to try baking because I thought they'd be nice made with small eggplant slices for little one- or two-bite appetizers.  No way would I want to fry a million little slices but baking a big tray full would be fine.  

Baked was absolutely acceptable and what I will do when I make it again.  

Edited to add that I peeled eggplant for the baked slices because I thought the skin might get too hard in the oven.  It's also nice to get the coating to stick to the sides.

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

1 hour ago, MelissaH said:

Which way did you prefer? Or, is the baked at least acceptable?

Preference-wise, I'll give the edge to frying as it produced a more delicately crisp coating while baked was a bit more crunchy.  Both had a nice contrast between the panko coating and creamy interior.  

After tasting the first batch, I decided to try baking because I thought they'd be nice made with small eggplant slices for little one- or two-bite appetizers.  No way would I want to fry a million little slices but baking a big tray full would be fine.  

Baked was absolutely acceptable and what I will do when I make it again.