• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

BonVivant

BonVivant

Turning (pseudo) Russian! Love beetroots already as a child and am still eating them year round.

The herring is supposed to be "under the fur coat", but mine is clearly not "under". Curly bits are grated salt-cured yolk.

2O5wCMO.jpg

yGqFtQC.jpg

My cheat's version of "Paskha" (Russian Easter cheese cake, but then without the crust). You are supposed to eat it with Kulich but I ate it with the bread in photo above. I made it with full-fat farmer's quark which has the texture and consistency of crème fraîche.

ndMzJUw.jpg

I made 2, in case 1 didn't turn out.

t99ekgE.jpg

Russian-style gherkin soup. Made mine without meat and loosely based on Rassonik.

8aBbhpX.jpg

Garlic bread to go with the soup. Speck and minced garlic mixed with some oil were scatter on the bread near the end of baking. Garlic rolls are normally served with Borscht, however.

jx5Ph1j.jpg

There's pureed beetroots and liquid in the batter but the colour was lost when cooked. The beetroot sauce here is a little sweet.

ABGFUcL.jpg

Little cottage cheese cakes with blueberry-honey compote. The original Russian pancakes are called Syrniki.

8BGgnaM.jpg

Savoury version with the same cottage cheese cakes.

05tHhBW.jpg

Hate beetroot? More for me and Chefmd.

AYYDrfP.jpg

Washed down with a beetroot broth, contained no vodka...

g8SrW84.jpg

I used Korean dumpling skins (twice as thick as Chinese and Japanese ones).

0IOsLx6.jpg

The end of my Russian-style feast.

What shall we do with him?

GDFi6XK.jpg

BonVivant

BonVivant

Turning (pseudo) Russian! Love beetroots already as a child and am still eating them year round.

yGqFtQC.jpg

My cheat's version of "Paskha" (Russian Easter cheese cake, but then without the crust). You are supposed to eat it with Kulich but I ate it with the bread in photo above. I made it with full-fat farmer's quark which has the texture and consistency of crème fraîche.

ndMzJUw.jpg

I made 2, in case 1 didn't turn out.

t99ekgE.jpg

Russian-style gherkin soup. Made mine without meat and loosely based on Rassonik.

8aBbhpX.jpg

Garlic bread to go with the soup. Speck and minced garlic mixed with some oil were scatter on the bread near the end of baking. Garlic rolls are normally served with Borscht, however.

jx5Ph1j.jpg

There's pureed beetroots and liquid in the batter but the colour was lost when cooked. The beetroot sauce here is a little sweet.

ABGFUcL.jpg

Little cottage cheese cakes with blueberry-honey compote. The original Russian pancakes are called Syrniki.

8BGgnaM.jpg

Savoury version with the same cottage cheese cakes.

05tHhBW.jpg

Hate beetroot? More for me and Chefmd.

AYYDrfP.jpg

Washed down with a beetroot broth, contained no vodka...

g8SrW84.jpg

I used Korean dumpling skins (twice as thick as Chinese and Japanese ones).

0IOsLx6.jpg