• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

BonVivant

BonVivant

Returned to Taketomi island for a festival in which almost all residents took part. Most lodgings were closed for 2 or 3 days. When I was here previously the streets were almost empty of residents (but absolutely full of day-trippers), today they were all outside watching traditional performances throughout the day. If you want to see a high concentration of healthy elderly Japanese just come to Okinawa.

Typical Okinawan food stands because restaurants were closed during the festival. Besides, there are about 3 restaurants on the island serving lunch only.

0U2KGYm.jpg

I got a few things from the stand above. Sticky rice needed a chainsaw to cut through.

gg4MHH6.jpg

M5Wrzhx.jpg

Where I sat to eat my lunch on my last day in Okinawa and started planning my next holidays.

oih76fR.jpg

Lunches at home:

nK5bh4J.jpg

Tamari marinated trout roe on soft tofu (soba not shown).

ydReNPt.jpg

BonVivant

BonVivant

Returned to Taketomi island for a festival which almost all residents took part in. Most lodgings were closed for 2 or 3 days. When I was here previously the streets were almost empty of residents (but absolutely full of day-trippers), today they were all outside watching traditional performances throughout the day. If you want to see a high concentration of healthy elderly Japanese just come to Okinawa.

Typical Okinawan food stands because restaurants were closed during the festival. Besides, there are about 3 restaurants on the island serving lunch only.

0U2KGYm.jpg

I got a few things from the stand above. Sticky rice needed a chainsaw to cut through.

gg4MHH6.jpg

M5Wrzhx.jpg

Where I sat to eat my lunch on my last day in Okinawa and started planning my next holidays.

oih76fR.jpg

Lunches at home:

nK5bh4J.jpg

Tamari marinated trout roe on soft tofu (soba not shown).

ydReNPt.jpg