• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

3 hours ago, FauxPas said:

But here is a copy of their menu (no website yet) and the characters don't look complex, so I guess they aren't actually calling them Biang Biang noodles here? @liuzhou, if you are inclined to help, can you advise? Thank you!  

The dish on the menu is listed as "Xi'an Oil Splashing Noodles" which is a near-literal translation of the Chinese shown  西安油泼面 (xī ān yóu pō miàn). although I'd translate it as 'splash'. Although similar, I wouldn't say it is necessarily the same as "biang biang mian". Certainly, I know restaurants in Xi'an which have both on their menus. In biang biang mian, the noodles are extremely long. Were yours?

Whatever, I'm sure it was deicious.

The famous biang character (below), is a bit of marketing tool rather than a real Chinese character. It is not listed in any dictionary and is only used in Xi'an.

Biang.gif.6e675522aeba6417ddde0e23b34fe0a8.gif

liuzhou

liuzhou

41 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

But here is a copy of their menu (no website yet) and the characters don't look complex, so I guess they aren't actually calling them Biang Biang noodles here? @liuzhou, if you are inclined to help, can you advise? Thank you!  

The dish on the menu is listed as "Xi'an Oil Splashing Noodles" which is a literal translation of the Chinese shown  西安油泼面 (xī ān yóu pō miàn) , although I'd translate it as 'splashed'. Although similar, I wouldn't say it is necessarily the same as "biang biang mian". Certainly, I know restaurants in Xi'an which have both on their menus. In biang biang mian, the noodles are extremely long. Were yours?

Whatever, I'm sure it was deicious.

The famous biang character (below), is a bit of marketing tool rather than a real Chinese character. It is not listed in any dictionary and is only used in Xi'an.

Biang.gif.6e675522aeba6417ddde0e23b34fe0a8.gif