• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pressure cooked "24 hour eggs"

gfweb

Somewhere on eG, I can't find it ( I swore it was in the IP thread), was a reference to pressure-cooked eggs.  Harold McGee was cited as speeding-up the 24 hour process by pressure cooking for an hour.  New flavors were to be developed.

So I tried it in a Fagor Duo PC on high pressure.

It turned out a beige white and a yellow yolk with an olive green edge (which isn't apparent in the photo).

Tasted vaguely bitter. Not appealing at all (even if it were in focus).

014.thumb.jpg.4d9aaffcbded8667ccc0cad774814adf.jpg

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

And here... 

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

Somewhere on eG, I can't find it ( I swore it was in the IP thread), was a reference to pressure-cooked eggs.  Harold McGee was cited as speeding-up the 24 hour process by pressure cooking for an hour.  New flavors were to be developed.

So I tried it in a Fagor Duo PC on high pressure.

It turned out a beige white and a yellow yolk with an olive green edge (which isn't apparent in the photo).

Tasted vaguely bitter. Not appealing at all (even if it were in focus).

014.thumb.jpg.4d9aaffcbded8667ccc0cad774814adf.jpg

Nice wood block though.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I only make such haminaddos eggs when baking something overnight (e.g. hammin/tchoulent, jachnon, kubannah). I never had a bitter one. But I also never pressure cooked one. 

I'm OK with them, not a big fan - I'm in soft egg camp, I'll never boil one for more than 10 minutes otherwise. 

If you need a way to use them try liver flavored eggplant salad (recipe for example). It was  quite popular in Israel back when real liver was a luxary. 

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 2

~ Shai N.