• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Frozen Garlic

Beusho

I've simple question, dedicated to home cooks: how do you freeze garlic-vegetable oil mixture.

Caveats (yes I've read the other threads, I hope this one is more practical):

1. Will be used in 6 moths

2. Oil suggestions appreciated (would olive oil work?)

The goals for responses for should be home cooks

Edited by Beusho (log)

“...no one is born a great cook, one learns by doing.”

Garlic and oil combinations can be a breeding ground for botulism. Given some home cooks tendency not to carefully follow instructions like not leaving the oil/garlic combination at room temperature when thawed, I don't think I'd be encouraging them to do it.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

8 hours ago, nickrey said:

Garlic and oil combinations can be a breeding ground for botulism. Given some home cooks tendency not to carefully follow instructions like not leaving the oil/garlic combination at room temperature when thawed, I don't think I'd be encouraging them to do it.

If it's garlic-infused oil stored at room temperature, you betcha.

If it's basically just garlic, pulverized for freezer storage with a splash of oil to protect the flavor compounds from dissipating, that's a whole other thing. That's what I do with about half of my garden garlic, so it doesn't shrivel up and get leathery after a few months. The rest I eat fresh.

My method (such as it is) is to peel the cloves and drop them into my food processor, then drip in a small quantity of oil until it makes a reasonably smooth paste (I don't worry about it being super-uniform). Then I portion it into small ziploc bags, and put them in turn into a larger one for a bit of added protection in the freezer. When I take one out I'll often use it all in one dish, otherwise I try to make a point of working through it within a few days.

I use a neutral oil, but that's a question of personal preference. My reasoning is that a strongly-flavored oil would limit the garlic's versatility.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning