• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

On 4/8/2019 at 12:27 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I'd give it two "likes" if you scraped off the cauliflower.

23 hours ago, shain said:

And I'll give you three if you'll bring it to me. 

12 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Hey, @JoNorvelleWalker - I'll eat the cauliflower if you take care of the fungus.  Deal? 😊

7 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

Id give it an extra point for the cauliflower. Sweet roasty flavors there

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Several of us could divide up the platter and it would make a tasty meal.

So in the end you all have decided to steal my dinner and split it up amongst yourselves? Perhaps I need to double-check my door locks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, chord said:

So in the end you all have decided to steal my dinner and split it up amongst yourselves? Perhaps I need to double-check my door locks.

But think of all the other internet points you'll have 😆

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

~ Shai N.

Spotted these little steaks after a pretty late lunch with Deb and thought they might just fit into our dinner plans, which they did.

IMG_0151.thumb.JPG.e47966de989447c5a31ed93798e74fe9.JPG

I smeared them with roasted garlic compound butter and threw then onto a hot, hot grill for just a few scant minutes.

IMG_0154.thumb.JPG.52842f6f7dc32b8fbf0bb90d40fb5050.JPG

Some sour cream with the first of the season chives out of the herb tubs on the deck was a welcome addition.

HC

IMG_0156.thumb.JPG.b9d6b5fe7a21e0cbf427ecf5063967b3.JPGIMG_0158.thumb.JPG.4541bd37bc7b41f51161f37eff01a180.JPG

• Like 15

1 hour ago, TicTac said:

@mm84321 - some nice photos, but one will have little to no clue what he/she is looking at and enjoying without some sort of a (even basic) description!

I said much the same thing earlier in this thread.  If he didn't see my comment perhaps he will see yours.  Without a basic description the pictures, while nice to look at, don't really mean much.

• Like 3

On 4/5/2019 at 6:44 PM, Norm Matthews said:

I made shrimp and sausage kebabs on the grill outside today and @ElsieD, I don't think the smokeless indoor grill would measure up to the smoky flavor I got with the grill.   The recipe said to put the vegetables and the shrimp on the same skewer and cook them all together but I felt that the mushrooms would take longer to cook than the shrimp so I did them on different skewers and put the shrimp on after the vegetables were done on one side.

20190405_165655.jpg

20190405_165957.jpg

Good call on the mushrooms

those skewers look delicious 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, shain said:

Beetroot stew with onion, celery, chickpeas, baharat, chili, allspice.

Served with couscous and semolina-chickpea dumplings.

Can you tell us more about the dumplings?

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

On 4/7/2019 at 11:52 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

At my age I don't have to justify my dinner:  a pot of Rancho Gordo Moro beans

I'm trying to clean out the pantry/fridge so finished off a bag of Rancho Gordo Marcella beans along with a can of TJs artichoke hearts and a small Parm Reg piece, some Campari tomatoes on the side. Smitten Kitchen gave me the idea for Cannellini aglio e olio. Might have been better with a bit of feta cheese or queso fresco on top in place of the Parm but it wasn't too bad! 

https://smittenkitchen.com/2019/04/cannellini-aglio-e-olio/

IMG_20190408_193202.thumb.jpg.d1cfd522f8b33d7be0c397a89ea4155f.jpg

IMG_20190408_193741.thumb.jpg.8b954edf383216dae49dba6b57d85257.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

I LOVE lamb shanks. My favourite cut. 

Lamb Shanks might just be what I would have on the menu if I knew it was going to be my last meal on earth.

The last couple of times I've cooked them, I've made them in the Breville PC and they turn out perfectly fork tender in just 50 minutes.

I brown first in a cast iron skillet and then place them in the PC while I brown a couple of white onions, a full of head of garlic, cloves just peeled and cracked and seasoned with fresh rosemary and salt and pepper. Added to the PC with some beef broth and a squirt of tomato paste and then cooked at the "bone in meat" setting for 50 minutes.

Lamb Shanks April 9th, 2019.jpg

• Like 21
  • Delicious 1

12 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I said much the same thing earlier in this thread.  If he didn't see my comment perhaps he will see yours.  Without a basic description the pictures, while nice to look at, don't really mean much.

Perhaps he doesn’t want to. He’s always been a minimalist. 

5 hours ago, FauxPas said:

I'm trying to clean out the pantry/fridge so finished off a bag of Rancho Gordo Marcella beans along with a can of TJs artichoke hearts and a small Parm Reg piece, some Campari tomatoes on the side. Smitten Kitchen gave me the idea for Cannellini aglio e olio. Might have been better with a bit of feta cheese or queso fresco on top in place of the Parm but it wasn't too bad! 

https://smittenkitchen.com/2019/04/cannellini-aglio-e-olio/

I saw her post - interesting idea, and feta sounds like a plan. 

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

scallop rolls again

1966762106_scalloproll.thumb.jpg.0548511221eec33263017c35ba862aa9.jpg

No, you have to drag it out. "Scallop rolls? Agaaaaiiiin?" Ideally with an eyeroll and a despairing flail of the hands. :P

(j/k...those look amazing)

• Haha 7

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

11 hours ago, Ann_T said:

I LOVE lamb shanks. My favourite cut. 

Lamb Shanks might just be what I would have on the menu if I knew it was going to be my last meal on earth.

The last couple of times I've cooked them, I've made them in the Breville PC and they turn out perfectly fork tender in just 50 minutes.

I brown first in a cast iron skillet and then place them in the PC while I brown a couple of white onions, a full of head of garlic, cloves just peeled and cracked and seasoned with fresh rosemary and salt and pepper. Added to the PC with some beef broth and a squirt of tomato paste and then cooked at the "bone in meat" setting for 50 minutes.

Lamb Shanks April 9th, 2019.jpg

Braised Lamb shanks, my all time favorite meal.   I always do mine in the oven didn’t think the PC could  create the texture that the oven can.  You’ve changed my mind 

45 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

Braised Lamb shanks, my all time favorite meal.   I always do mine in the oven didn’t think the PC could  create the texture that the oven can.  You’ve changed my mind 

I do them in the Instant Pot all the time.  They're great.

2 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

@scubadoo97,  I was a little leery the first time I tried it, but was more than pleasantly surprised that they turned out no different that when I did them in the oven. 

Browning first in cast iron and adding everything including the broth to the PC while hot shortens the time even further.  Comes up to pressure quickly and then cooks for 50 minutes.  

If the shanks are on the large side I increase the time to 52 minutes on the Breville PC. 

Same with Oxtails.   I love the way they turn out in the PC as well. 

• Like 1