• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

57 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

Rosemary focaccia and creamy chicken soup

I don’t know what it is about your bread and soup meals but they always make my mouth water. Yet when I think about having bread and soup myself as a meal I am not nearly as enthusiastic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

9 minutes ago, heidih said:

Our guy started a topic here  https://forums.egullet.org/topic/90336-saaj-cooking/

But I don't think my landlord would approve.

• Haha 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Dinner out the other night at Heritage in Richmond.  We've been a few times and we like it a lot.  The menu suits our taste.  We started with smoked fish dip with house pickles and malt vinegar pita chips:

1212c.jpg.207275ac9dbee03a027f2844eb48a5ac.jpg

I had the roasted half chicken with greens, Edward’s country ham, shallot, and Byrd Mill Cheddar grits:

1212.jpg.575491a7ca4c45a3d8e8e1804913f79c.jpg

So good – the chicken was perfectly cooked and that sauce around the grits was fabulous. 

Mr. Kim had the pappardelle with Bolognese:

1212b.jpg.7017e3b07f8582c90db80324131341c8.jpg

Good meaty, creamy sauce. 

• Like 8
  • Delicious 3

10 hours ago, Paul Bacino said:

I extruded me a bit of Pasta ( yesterday )--  I have an Arcobaleno Ax10

This is 70% 00 and 30% semalina --30% hydration

49227945761_b35a344019_c.jpg

That's one bad-ass macaroni machine. Its what Vetri has in his restaurant.

Woof!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 12/16/2019 at 7:24 AM, Margaret Pilgrim said:

We DO need a WOW button.

We DEFINITELY need a WOW button.

Tonight's dinner.

1055208329_RoastChickenDinnerDecember17th20192.thumb.jpg.aafcc2cdfd0f6c72ea88857106420743.jpg
Actually it could be considered just a late lunch.

953884487_RoastChickenDinnerDecember17th20193.thumb.jpg.439181622ccec017d76ce171131ee182.jpg

We missed lunch so I made a roast chicken dinner and we ate at 3:00PM.

Chicken was roasted in the CSO.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 3

@gfweb gave this recipe for quick pickled peppers (2-3 minutes with some salt + sugar, splash vinegar) which I made in the fall. I just went to use some of the peppers and the top layer was covered in blue mold!

So,

1. How long should a quick pickle last normally? Is the time lengthened if handled in a special way?
  2. It's a quart jar which is nearly full. Is the pickling strong enough that it's safe to eat if I remove the top 2 inches?

15 minutes ago, TdeV said:

@gfweb gave this recipe for quick pickled peppers (2-3 minutes with some salt + sugar, splash vinegar) which I made in the fall. I just went to use some of the peppers and the top layer was covered in blue mold!

So,

1. How long should a quick pickle last normally? Is the time lengthened if handled in a special way?
  2. It's a quart jar which is nearly full. Is the pickling strong enough that it's safe to eat if I remove the top 2 inches?

I’d use them in a matter of a few days unless they were canned sterilely.  I tend to make a meal’s worth at a time. 

truely preserving pickles have more salt and acid than the quick pickle. 

Part of the problem with spoilage is toxins made by bacteria and fungi. They would permeate the whole jar. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, lindag said:

Any info on the best way to cook a chuck eye?

It’s a cut that’s new to me.

I think it may be a new highly touted cut called "Denver steak".    It is richly flavored and tender, grills beautifully.    Has become the favorite steak of our son and family who calls it "Daddy steak".    Stove top grill pan and, of course, a short rest before carving.

eGullet member #80.

4 hours ago, lindag said:

Any info on the best way to cook a chuck eye?

It’s a cut that’s new to me.

I found a chuck eye at Shoprite, I believe it was last summer.  I grilled it on the Philips as I recall.  The steak was good, but not in the category of a ribeye nor a NY strip.  For braising I'd think chuck eye would have nothing to recommend it over a chuck roast.

If a chuck eye were staring at me I'd again grill it on the Philips.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

Another batch of Blasphemy Ribs (ribs smoked in less than half the time by smoking them as single ribs instead of a rack), served with steamed cauliflower in butter.

blasphemy-ribs-plated17.thumb.jpg.0869d00eda29dced878c6899471eec39.jpg

Blasphemy brassica indeed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2