• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019

liuzhou

38 minutes ago, Dante said:

Pan fried pork tenderloin with home-made banana ketchup for dipping. Sauteed spinach and steamed rapini on the side.

I usually buy mine. Did not realize that they fake color it until I read the wiki just now. I wondered why it was red :)   How do you make yours?

CSO Whole Roasted Branzino, a favorite of mine:

Dinner11152019.png

Lots of bones but that is part of life.  When people are eaten by fish they probably say the same.

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

5 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Anna, did you use nice, thick, whole milk buttermilk?  If the dressing is too thin I would try adding extra mayonnaise.

What is Treviso, other than a town near @teonzo?  Google was not much help.

The only buttermilk we can get here is very low fat. 

• Sad 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Oh, it's like radicchio, right?

Exactly. Very much like radicchio. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Last night, pan griddled flatbreads from Bread Illustrated.  Good, but I prefer the version I make on the grill more.  Considering it was about 15 degrees last night, using the grill was not an option.

flatbread.thumb.jpg.8fd96856311cf0e2f8d474857714b618.jpg

I also made two recipes from Meera Sodha's Made in India. Salmon and spinach curry, and carmelized onion jeera rice

570300006_currysalmon.thumb.jpg.5df3e0898606c2a51bf4a50be4f7aa41.jpg

• Like 11

299FD848-E559-4267-840D-769EED34BB60.thumb.jpeg.3d43baee3e399afed52ece82177c3bed.jpeg

A little of this and a little of that with some Momofuku ranch dressing.  The dressing had thickened up somewhat when first taken out of the refrigerator but reverted to a very liquid state after I dressed my plate with it. I wonder if subbing yoghurt for buttermilk might improve the texture. Unfortunately the only buttermilk we can get here is 1%. At least that is the only kind I have ever seen. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

My 2004 eG Blog

8 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

I also made two recipes from Meera Sodha's Made in India. Salmon and spinach curry, and carmelized onion jeera rice

Do you see me hiding my head in shame? I had to go look up this book and Amazon kindly reminded me that I own it!

• Haha 8

My 2004 eG Blog

31 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Yes. The Bourdain recipe basically. No cheese.

I  kinda think I'd love that version.....after seeing yours I had to make them (the cheesy kind) to go with meatloaf tonight.  Doing your version next.  

It's becoming a challenge to come up with edible dinner (for me)  that I and Ronnie enjoy during this damn dental crap.  Oh well......I've needed to lose weight for years 😁 the only upside lol.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

17 hours ago, heidih said:

I usually buy mine. Did not realize that they fake color it until I read the wiki just now. I wondered why it was red :)   How do you make yours?

3 bananas, sliced

1 medium onion, diced

tbsp minced garlic

tbsp minced ginger

1/2 tsp turmeric

1/2 tsp allspice

2 tbsp black vinegar

2 tbsp honey

2 tbsp dark rum

tbsp tomato paste

tbsp soy sauce

saute onion, garlic, ginger and bananas together.  When onions get translucent, toss all in to blender with rest of ingredients, blitz until smooth, adding bits of water if necessary to help in attaining smoothness

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dinner11162019.png

A bit of leftover dry aged prime ribeye.  I could easily have enjoyed the bowl of David Chang's ranch dressing on good bread without having prepared all the other stuff but it would not have made as pretty picture.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I'm not sure what to call this - just something I made up. Chinese, but not on any menu in China. I deboned a couple of chicken legs and cut up the meat, then marinaded it for 24 hours* with Pixian Doubanjiang, garlic, ginger, chilli and Shaoxing wine. Stir-fried but when almost done added some chicken stock to make it saucier. Sprinkled with Chinese chives and served with garlicky, wilted spinach and rice.

20191116_194246.thumb.jpg.53c55155403c4f9748a87ac542c6aeed.jpg

20191116_194252.thumb.jpg.8dea96737cab8ae67d3a323ee27df345.jpg

20191116_194300.thumb.jpg.1c6c5bd2d8f7ee8532f34ec09c582cc9.jpg

Only regret. Should have done more spinach. I know it shrinks, but...

* I didn't intend to leave it 24 hours, but life intervened and I knew it would come to no harm.

• Like 16
  • Haha 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Even though I wanted to go to Cervo's last night, Significant Eater may be coming down with a cold and wanted to stay home; she did say I should go and hang in my favorite corner seat while drinking various weird wines, but no, I stayed home like the good husband and made her dinner.

I always do this before making what I made...

W2tPEdZ.jpg?1

That is, toasting the peppercorns before crushing them in a mortar/pestle (it's the little things that make a difference, home cooks!).

And then...

9xjjiUw.jpg?1

Spaghetti cacio e pepe for two.  Sautéed haricot verts, with garlic, red pepper flakes and a couple of mini San Marzano plum tomatoes thrown in for fun.

• Like 12
  • Delicious 5

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

On 11/14/2019 at 5:31 PM, Anna N said:

I used it almost immediately probably within the hour. There are leftovers in the refrigerator so I will see what it’s like tomorrow. 

FWIW, I made a batch yesterday.   It was very thin.   Left out on the kitchen counter, I returned an hour or so later and it was not pourable.

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 1

eGullet member #80.

Fattoush salad, the dressing is thick buttermilk, sumac, garlic, parsley, scallions, lemon and vinegar. Some crisp, and some softended pita chips.

Freekeh, cooked into risotto texture, (but no cream/cheese) with chickpeas and mushrooms, paprika, a touch of cumin and a hint of cinnamon. Plenty of olive oil.

IMG_20191108_145336.jpg

IMG_20191108_145512_1.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.