Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

liuzhou

Dinner 2019

Recommended Posts

Cold weather calls for warming food.

Tcholent, baked all night long.

 

 

IMG_20190119_133053.jpg

  • Like 10

~ Shai N.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SV (139 F 3 hrs) pork loin with apple/mustard sauce, maple salted caramel sprouts, Mashed potatoes

 

030.thumb.jpg.4996e80dc26f3d4972940e1554fe86f5.jpg

  • Like 13
  • Delicious 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Homemade chili was very good; I used Bush's Chili Beans instead of kidney beans for the first time and I like them better.

Served with Jiffy cornmeal muffins.  Plenty of leftovers for the cold and snowy days ahead.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, gfweb said:

SV (139 F 3 hrs) pork loin with apple/mustard sauce, maple salted caramel sprouts, Mashed potatoes

 

030.thumb.jpg.4996e80dc26f3d4972940e1554fe86f5.jpg

If I just look at the left side of the platter.....the pork looks nice and juicy.

signed BS-Hater. 😃

  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Okanagancook said:

If I just look at the left side of the platter.....the pork looks nice and juicy.

signed BS-Hater. 😃

 

Maple Salted caramel can overcome almost anything!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im also reluctant on BS:

 

but those Id eat if they appeared on my plate .

 

they look about as good as a BS can get.

 

make them myself ?

 

doubtful 


Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, gfweb said:

SV (139 F 3 hrs) pork loin with apple/mustard sauce, maple salted caramel sprouts, Mashed potatoes

 

030.thumb.jpg.4996e80dc26f3d4972940e1554fe86f5.jpg

 

I love pork with apples and mustard.  Can you share the recipe for the sauce?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to be a renowned BS hater... then, years ago, I took a cooking class with David Bouley and one of the vegetables made was "roasted brussels sprouts leaves" - which is really "sauteed brussels sprouts leaves"...   You core the sprout and separate all the leaves... then on high heat, saute with salt and pepper until the leaves wilt slightly and are a bit charred - the high heat gives them a sweetness and they're not vegetal at all.  It's the only way I'll eat BS now.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I used to be a renowned BS hater... then, years ago, I took a cooking class with David Bouley and one of the vegetables made was "roasted brussels sprouts leaves" - which is really "sauteed brussels sprouts leaves"...   You core the sprout and separate all the leaves... then on high heat, saute with salt and pepper until the leaves wilt slightly and are a bit charred - the high heat gives them a sweetness and they're not vegetal at all.  It's the only way I'll eat BS now.

How much of a PITA is coring the sprouts and separating the leaves?


MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once you get the trick, it actually goes pretty fast. I can do enough for 2 people in about 5 min. or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

 

I love pork with apples and mustard.  Can you share the recipe for the sauce?

 Pork is cooked separately in the  SV machine (139 F x 3 hours) with a few sprigs of thyme.

 

The apples and onion were braised in apple juice that then was strained and put in the sauce.

 

Sauce is apple juice and chicken stock in equal parts....tsp or more dijon depending on volume...sauteed garlic....reduced about 50% till I like the taste...whisked in 2 tsp butter...salt and pepper and serve.

 

I apologize for the imprecision, but its one of those ones I've done for so long I just go by feel.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Indian thali #38

From the top, ghee rice, scrambled paneer, stir fried okra, cucumber & cumin raita, dal, mango pickle. There was paratha too.

 

9BC3BDCD-6EB1-460F-8D62-A2AB2087896C.thumb.jpeg.a5de0bc8394a2d0fa2a70a6670354c0a.jpeg

  • Like 14
  • Delicious 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, KennethT said:

I used to be a renowned BS hater... then, years ago, I took a cooking class with David Bouley and one of the vegetables made was "roasted brussels sprouts leaves" - which is really "sauteed brussels sprouts leaves"...   You core the sprout and separate all the leaves... then on high heat, saute with salt and pepper until the leaves wilt slightly and are a bit charred - the high heat gives them a sweetness and they're not vegetal at all.  It's the only way I'll eat BS now.

I’ve tried something very similar but still not a go.  Sad really, but there you have it....Mommy cooked the heart of BS’s and in those days children weren’t excused from the table until all food was consumed....I have the same hate on for pears. 😕

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

I’ve tried something very similar but still not a go.  Sad really, but there you have it....Mommy cooked the heart of BS’s and in those days children weren’t excused from the table until all food was consumed....I have the same hate on for pears. 😕

 

I share your dislike of BS but I like pears.  I was raised the same way.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

I’ve tried something very similar but still not a go.  Sad really, but there you have it....Mommy cooked the heart of BS’s and in those days children weren’t excused from the table until all food was consumed....I have the same hate on for pears. 😕

My parents tried to do that to me... I was prepared to sit all night, they were not.... hehehe

  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't seem to have recollections of food hates as a child.  Consequently I eat just about anything.  Never warmed up to real bitter foods at any age though 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MelissaH said:

How much of a PITA is coring the sprouts and separating the leaves?

My husband does the prep. He doesn't core the sprouts, just pares off the bottoms enough to take off the outer leaf layer; doesn't seem like a terrible chore. He also cuts them in half if they are a typical size and not tiny. I used to be a dedicated hater until I learned to roast them. Now they are in regular rotation when in season. Love them. Great roasted with a little bacon fat, and also great dressed lightly with a mix maple syrup and mustard just before serving.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

My husband does the prep. He doesn't core the sprouts, just pares off the bottoms enough to take off the outer leaf layer; doesn't seem like a terrible chore. He also cuts them in half if they are a typical size and not tiny. I used to be a dedicated hater until I learned to roast them. Now they are in regular rotation when in season. Love them. Great roasted with a little bacon fat, and also great dressed lightly with a mix maple syrup and mustard just before serving.

 

You almost have me wanting some.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

My husband does the prep. He doesn't core the sprouts, just pares off the bottoms enough to take off the outer leaf layer; doesn't seem like a terrible chore. He also cuts them in half if they are a typical size and not tiny. I used to be a dedicated hater until I learned to roast them. Now they are in regular rotation when in season. Love them. Great roasted with a little bacon fat, and also great dressed lightly with a mix maple syrup and mustard just before serving.

Teach that boy how to core a spout in a 2 sec maneuver per sprout. Just saying.   

 

Brussels are high on my list for roasting. Love them, can't get enough 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

Tonight's dinner.

442922223_CasareccewithItalianSausageFebruary4th2019.thumb.jpg.6a50e881874f68aa0318923f17f05213.jpg


Casarecce Pasta in a tomato sauce with Italian sausage.

 

Beautiful. Casarecce is my new favorite pasta. Holds a sauce...good bite to it. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

@gfweb This is the first time I've cooked it.   I really enjoyed it.    I can see why it would be your favourite. 

Cavatappi rigati is another good one. A brawny macaroni that seems just right to me for all kinds of uses. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...